15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2016 11:06 AM by insertcoffee RSS

POINTS??? Anyone want to calculate for me :)

benbuck6 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

So, as stated before, the whole reason I joined Marriott Rewards Program was because we frequented the hotels for weekends a few times a year but not enough to think about joining, and then my oldest conveys he wants Maui for his graduation present in 2019...and tbh I have been trying like crazy to get back there since 1999...and I noticed Marriott has several properties there.

Immediately upon joining I did the Dream Tracker for Maui Ocean Club and it said I needed 160,000 points for 5 nights. Through brief and very uninformed self searching on this site I noticed I could also trade points with United, but we NEVER fly. Nevertheless, I joined the United rewards program and became a mileage plus member...which I know nothing about and speaking that language is like Greek to me.

So, I guess the question is...how many Marriott points to stay in Maui for a week and fly 5 roundtrip from say Memphis or Little Rock? Just a stab in the dark to see if anyone knows how to find that answer quickly and then tell me how they figured it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: POINTS??? Anyone want to calculate for me :)
    Platinum

I'd like to wager $1.00 (as they did infamously in an old Eddie Murphy movie) that no Commmmmmooooooonity Managers will reply with an answer within 1 week to such a question. I'll gladly donate it to the MRI maintenance web site trust fund if I'm proven wrong.  I can point you in the right direction in a hearbeat though if none jump in.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Do I count?  If so would you please make a donation specifically to the entire Marriott IT Department of "One American Dollar"!!!

Platinum

Dratz Randolph - that's probably twice as much as they need to do the job they've been doing, but a bet's a bet...now if only they had a paypal account, email address, help desk website...hmm...must be on the trusty rolodex somewhere, eh?

Here ya go for the MileagePlus award travel or you can simply go to the UA site and put in MEM or LIT to OGG award travel and it will currently come up with 22,500 miles each way per person.

Interactive travel destinations awards chart | United Airlines

Same thing with Marriott, select your dates and destination in this case Maui and, then select "Use Reward points" and pick your property then view rates.  I selected the Residence Inn Maui Extended Stay Hawaii | Residence Inn Maui Wailea which came up as 240,000 points per room per night.

Have fun!!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

The airline mileage sounds about right, but 240,000 points per room per night? That must be some room.

Perhaps you meant 240,000 points per WEEK. That's more like it. 40,000 points per night (5th night free), so for a week, 6 nights on points, plus 1 free comes out to 240,000.

It's okay, IAHFLYR. I hear that math and retirement don't mix. What's important is having the proper mix to go with your Tito's

LOL, oh my you are so right bejacob, cannot believe I put down per night as it is 240.000 per room for the week. DUH!!  Thanks for correcting my mess.

It's not the math part that is the issue nor the Tito's....it's called typing and thinking both new experiences for me.

ozmodiar Gold

Roundtrip to Hawaii on UA is 45,000 miles for economy and saver (which is not always available), so that multiplied by 5 people is 225,000 miles.  25,000 miles costs 56,000 Marriott points, so that's 504,000 Marriott points to purchase the miles for 5 tickets.

So, a lot.

(Edited to fix my math...)

Message was edited by: Ozmodiar

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

OK benbuck6, now mixing IAHFLYR, bejacob & ozmodiars answers and adding my own knowledge too, I think we can get a good answer.

The traditional route would be to redeem for the hotel and redeem for the miles. So;

The Maui Ocean club goes for 40,000 points per night. Note it's a vacation club property so availability can be patchy as vacation club doesn't participate in no blackout dates because it's a timeshare so what it's selling on Marriott.com is excess inventory which varies by season. 5 nights using 5th night free will cost 160,000 Marriott points.

Likewise UA flights can at saver rates be 22,500 each way, and you'll need 10 1-way tickets totalling 225,000 miles. 56,000 Marriott points buys 25,000 UA miles so for 5 of you that'll cost 504,000 points.

Hence your total Marriott points cost for the 5 nights and miles is 664,000 Marriott points.

But there are cheaper ways.

Your trip would be more economical by buying a Category 8 Marriott Travel Package that for 360,000 points will buy you 132,000 UA miles transferred straight to your UA mileage plus account and a 7-night category 8 cert to use at the Maui Ocean (or any category 8 property of your choice). Now you're still 93,000 UA miles short and the cheapest way to make up the difference is to buy 100,000 UA miles for 224,000 Marriott points. You'll then have 232,000 UA miles, more than enough for your break. Total cost is 584,000 Marriott points and cheaper than the traditional route. Plus you have a 7-night vacation instead of just 5 nights.

But if you're looking for better value why not instead of buying the missing 93,000 miles separately buy a Category 1-5 Travel Package with 110,000 miles as your second redemption for only 250,000 points and use the cat 1-5 cert for another break. That would make your total cost 610,000 points but you'd also have 10,000 extra UA miles AND a certificate for a 7-night break to use later.

Or, if you can swing a full fortnight off work how about buying a second 7-night category 8 Travel package with 110,000 miles costing 340,000 Marriott points which will give you another 7-night cert and another 110,000 UA miles so you'll then have a total of 242,000 UA miles (more than enough for your needs) AND a 14-night stay in Maui. Total cost 700,000 Marriott points. Still a lot of points, but my, what a lot of vacation

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight here insiders!! Also wanted to share the following link with you.  It describes the partnership between Marriott Rewards & United Mileage plus quite nicely.  RewardsPlus | United MileagePlus | Marriott Rewards

benbuck6 Silver

OK, you guys rock. I just joined in March I think. TBH, we travel but not like many of you do. When I first put the Maui Ocean Club in the Dream Tracker and it spit out 160,000 points for 5 nights I was overwhelmed...thinking I would never hit that mark, but every little bit helps. I'm at 60,000 points already and for me that's quite a bit considering my first stay was in April. School is about to start so travel will decline, so I'm not expecting to go over 100,000 this year. but I am astonished how quick points add up though...

Thanks again, not only did you guys give me a good answer but I definitely have a better understanding on how the programs work.

fsulaw1 Platinum 2 Reviews

Consider reading frugaltravelguy.com for points ideas to increase your point totals.  Marriott and UA both have branded credit cards.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Aha, yes at 100,000 points pa, those 600,000-700,000 totals I'm talking about look pretty distant.

As long as you live in the US, there's some great credit cards which can substantially add to your point accumulation, just for spending what you already spend! As mentioned above frugaltravelguy is a great starter blog. Also spend a bit of time on Flyertalk and their boarding area bloggers, lots of great info there.

Just beware, this points and miles hobby can become quite addictive

insertcoffee Platinum

Couple of other points:

1.. Whatever the point requirement is today, might very possibly not be the point requirement three years from now; in fact, it is unlikely to remain static for that period.  Whatever you come up with for your target amount, pad it for inflation so your target is not too low.

2..By that time, merger with SPG will be complete. There may be additional properties in the area for your Marriott consideration.

3.  Maui is and has been a honeymoon capital for a long time and a popular summer destination in any event. Lock your dates in as soon as the window opens and you are ready to pull the pin so you actually get an award stay where you'd like.

4.  Maui is very expensive.  Groceries, gas, rental cars, you name it-- all are high. Plan/budget accordingly.

5.  All of the islands have their own personalities and charms. If you can break up your trip at all and afford to do so, you might like to see another island or two.

Happy planning!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...