6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2016 8:04 PM by peymanagement RSS

Black Day in July

peymanagement Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

49 years ago about now when I was 14 My, Dad and I and my brother were in Downtown Detroit. We were too naïve to know we were not safe. We went into a Kresge's  and I remember having a slice of banana cake, the best I had ever had, If we were not from small town Ontario we would have noticed that were not I a racially mixed place, but everyone in there were so nice to me and my 7 year old brother. A week later that part of Detroit was burned. Now on the sight is a beautiful redeveloped downtown center with a renaissance hotel in prominence.

I am saddened by the destruction and divisiveness that has gone on in Texas, Louisiana and Florida over the last month. I was planning trips to the south of France in the Summer and the South of the USA in the fall but right now I feel that it is best just to stay home,

Condolences to those in Orlando, who lost their lives and Officers who lost their lives innocently because they chose public service in Louisiana and texas.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Black Day in July
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

peymanagement, an excellent post, and thank you.  I offer my condolences along with you, and would add the same to  both the civilian and law enforcement victims in Baton Rouge, as well as the civilian victims in St. Paul, MN and Fresno, CA.  My daughter described to me how difficult it has been to explain all of this to her young children.

It saddens me that many of us (understandably so) feel the need to stay put. It shouldn't be that way. Aside from the violence, our planet is a wonderful place, and meant to be explored and enjoyed by it's inhabitants. At the same time, my family sat in our local AT&T store this afternoon, where the wait was long, as the place was very crowded. At one point it occurred to me, likely partially due to the recent violence in the world, and partIally due to my military background along with being raised by a law enforcement professional, that at any moment, anyone could walk through the front door with an automatic firearm, or a backpack full of carnage, and mow down 60+ people in a New York minute.  Very sad that we have to have this situational awareness in everyday life.

I have no solution to offer. Intolerance begets intolerance. Yet, how can we be tolerant to all of this?  Such a perplexing conundrum. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

well said!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It is so very very sad that we are all subject to the world as it is today.  The true love of life and the world that an innocent child experienced 25 or so years ago is gone and so sad.

My heart goes out to everyone in Law Enforcement, Military and all who protect us all.  The ultimate sacrifice is to serve your country or local community and we all need to stand up and be alert to those who do nothing other than want to instill pain on others.

PRAY FOR ALL WHO SERVE FOR OUR FREEDOM AND PROTECTION............and  be calm in your  resolve!!!! 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

IT so reminds me of 1968 and I hope the conventions don't repeat what happened then

seatexan Platinum

I have to say that through all of this, I am very proud of Lafayette and how the community has come together in support of our officers.  Our force often works closely with the Baton Rogue PD.  We are often one another's back up. 

It's really sad that police here have now been cautioned not to do reports in their cars, or hang out in parking lots, even eat at establishments.  Which I think not eating in restaurants only servers to hurt the community.  Their presence should be a comfort not a target.  I am sure once all of this dies down, the chief will wave the cautions.  I hope!

These events won't stop me from traveling.  They do make me more aware of my surroundings however. 

peymanagement Platinum

I am proud of your city too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...