8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2016 11:38 PM by muppetwrangler RSS

Marriott...Sometimes You Really Do Rock!

droma Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Lots of negativity on the board lately, some of which I've been part of, and some very valid frustration.  But I wanted to take the time to make a quick post about a positive and something I really appreciate.

Over 8 months ago I booked my honeymoon on reward points and airline miles.  My honeymoon was schedule in 2 weeks,  10 nights in the Champs-Elysees and 5 nights in the Boscolo Exedra Nice.  Now, I was looking forward to staying at one of the most expensive Marriott properties in the world in Paris and having a great stay in Nice as well, but unfortunately the events in France have deterred me (thoughts out to all those affected).  The recent gunman in Paris, Egyptair flight (which may be looking more like a mechanical and I hope it was), and now tonight the tragic attack in Nice have left my fiance and myself very uneasy about going to France to the point of cancelling our honeymoon location in hopes of picking out a new spot.

With the airlines, I had to call, have reservations tell me about all the redeposit fees for points, write customer service to request a waiver, and now wait patiently to see if they will grant me an exception for canceling my flights (which I still intend to book to a new locale).  On Marriott, I went on, clicked a few buttons, and sure enough...reservation was easily cancelled and all points deposited back in my account instantaneously.

I understand there is a difference in airline and hotel systems and fares and everything, and I also understand this may be standard across all hotels (although I'm not sure it could get any easier).  But, I wanted to show my appreciation with a quick note thanking you for taking some of the stress away a week before my wedding and easily letting me get to a point where I can look for a new destination.

Kudos Marriott, and again my thoughts go out to all the victims and their families.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott...Sometimes You Really Do Rock!
    702rugbyref Platinum

They do deserve kudos at times and I like it when they occur. Congrats!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

j&c Platinum

We traveled to our "#1 Honeymoon Choice" on our 1st Anniversary - and again on our 20th with kids and my parents along for the adventure. Since marriage is an every day honeymoon, I'm certain you will find another way to celebrate! Consider one each month. After 38 years of marriage, a monthly honeymoon is working for us C

mrbmbrown Platinum

Great comments. I agree that overall MR is an awesome program. I would not still be here after all these years if it weren't. Thanks for steering us back on a more positive track.

YogiB Platinum

Marriott offers great cancellation options for those last-minute emergencies. Even advanced purchase rates are usually only charged on the CC 2 days before arrival.

Especially in this era of big corporations, it's great that Marriott is so flexible on this!

mrbmbrown Platinum

I find that with status, they are often beneficial and accommodating. However, I am not sure these cancellation policies are all the flexible if you "change your mind" and have a prepay rate - I am certain they usually charge you a 1 night fee (or more for resort locations). Is your experience different?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Congrats droma on your upcoming nuptials!!  I can totally understand your worries about travel, but with endless possibilities, I'm sure you'll find a great "plan b" honeymoon. 

seatexan Platinum

I love when Marriott rocks  

I am sure no matter where you all go it will be wonderful.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

My wedding was shortly after 9/11.  With the uncertainty of the airlines, our Hawaiian honeymoon turned into a Toronto-San Francisco road trip.  It was definitely a trip to remember!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...