2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2010 2:33 PM by pbsr_platinum RSS

Monterey California

baldeaglebob Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am afraid I have to be honest here and report that the Marriott in Monterey is tired, out of date and sadly not worthy of a stay. The area , of course, is one of the greatest places on the globe but the hotel with the exception of the lobby and restaurant is at least one decade, if not two, overdue for a remodel.

We were nicely greeted on arrival, and upgraded to a "suite" with a combination Bay and City view -the view was spectacular. Unfortunately the decor was dated, the "mini-fridge" --brought in from storage- appeared to have last seen service in a frat house-dented with pain peeling and a broken interior door shelf. The bathroom was small-- tiled in a mix of white tile over a coral pink tub with shiny striped wallpaper.The furniture looked like a mix of yard sale items or perhaps an assortment of items brought from a storage room without concern for whether it matched or not.

The room was quiet and the view beautiful. The location is excellent--downtown and walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and Alvarado Street.Short drive to Carmel, Navy Post Grad School, Pebble Beach Cal State Monterey Bay--formerly Fort Ord.

If Monterey is in your travel plans, I suggest you pass on this hotel--there are many other boutique hotels/inns that are much better at the same price I assure you as we have stayed in them before and since our Marriott experience.

• Re: Monterey California
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Dear Baldeaglebob,

In 1879, a famous local visitor, one Robert Louis Stevenson, said, "The Monterey of last year doesn't exist."  Your review shows that the more things change the more they stay the same.

First, thanks for that honest and well done review of the Marriott.  This building was a takeover, formerly a Sheraton Hotel. Ironically it sits on the spot that a small, Spanish-style hotel (the San Carlos Hotel) once stood and the locals (can you tell I live here?) tell of plans submitted when that hotel was torn down showing a similar small, Spanish looking hotel. Bait and switch, one of the owners was the brother of the mayor, etc.

As a Sheraton it was very 1980s in look and feel, and unfortunately Marriott's revamping did very little to change the slab-sided look of the place.  Inside was and is a little dated and there's no concierge lounge either since it is classed as a resort.  The rooftop restaurant, Ferranti's, has one of the best views of Monterey Bay but is normally only open for special events.  I've never figured out why.

Since we're a tourist and convention town, the Marriott gets a lot of business for meetings held in the adjacent Monterey Conference Center, connected via a walkway to the hotel itself.

None of this excuses the hotel from looking tired and worn, however. I hope that you also made your feelings known to the management via the folded card in the room?

I'm not sure when it is scheduled for a redo and given the state of the economy it might be a while.

Monterey remains a great place to visit and yes there are plenty of other smaller places (including the 1904 Monterey Hotel on Alvarado Street a block away).  If enough people complain perhaps the Monterey Marriott can be updated and regain its stature.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Monterey California
    pbsr_platinum Platinum 8 Reviews

Sad, but true.  We stayed there in 1995 (or so), and it was out-of-date then, too.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...