14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2016 3:49 PM by AndrewT RSS

How to settle my hotel bill using my credit card without being present

redbarbie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Insiders!

I have an upcoming trip to Hong Kong this month with my family and have reserved Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin from 24th July to August 1st. My reservation is in my name (guaranteed using my credit card) but I will only be staying there until the 28th to get back to work. Since I will not be able to check out from the hotel on August 1, I need your expert advice on how to settle the hotel bill without being present. I do hope I don't get unauthorized charges to the room just because I was not presently there to verify for the rest of my booking. I guess I will have to tell my family not to charge everything to the room. I'm a newbie to Marriott Rewards and just hoping to take advantage of my Elite status before it expires. Hoping you can help me with this. Thanks so much!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Shatin N.T., Hong Kong, China
Courtyard Hong Kong Sha Tin
  • Re: How to settle my hotel bill using my credit card without being present
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

For me they usually just ask if they should use the card on file. Most times i never go to front desk and check out mobile and get bill via e mail which should work in your case

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

For me they usually just ask if they should use the card on file. Most times i never go to front desk and check out mobile and get bill via e mail which should work in your case

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

Same experience as jerryl when using the app for mobile check-in/out (that is, if CY Hong Kong Sha Tin participates in mobile check in/out).  They will use whatever CC you have in your profile online to finalize your bill.  Of course, you or someone on your behalf, should make sure to initiate mobile check-out on the app (or even check-out on the TV in the room, if available!) and your family can leave the keys in the room and walk out.  As for a final review of the charges, you're going to have to coordinate that part on your own!

redbarbie Platinum

Yeah, I checked my Marriott app and found no check-in/check-out option for Courtyard Sha Tin. I did ask customer care and they said I need to sign an authorization form so they can charge my credit card upon check-out without my presence. Will just advice my family to make sure all charges are accounted for. Thanks for the tip, shakennotstirred!

alammari Platinum

so would you get all points and nights credit? even the nights where you will be away and not with you parents?

I have a similar situation this coming October, Carat advised me what to do but was wondering still if I will get the points for that extra room I booked for my parents and would that night where I am away count towards my Marriott account.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi there,

If you are paying for your parents' room, you will receive points for both their room and yours. However, you will only receive elite night credit for the room that you personally are staying in.

merman Platinum

In Asia i have seen it work in a couple of different ways. More often then not, the hotel will ask you to sign an 'Assumption of Liability' form which basically allows them to charge your Credit Card and provides proof to the bank that you authorized it. The form also has spaces for you to assume ALL charges or ROOM ONLY charges which designates who would be responsible for all incidentals. Please check if the hotel has one of those set-ups. BTW, i love the 'Automatic Piano' in the lobby of the Courtyard Shatin. Check it out! Another thing to keep in mind is that the Courtyard Shatin is pretty far from EVERYTHING, you will need to switch trains on the MTR about 3 times to get to TST. So please keep that in mind. Hope that helps!

redbarbie Platinum

I did notice that Courtyard Sha Tin is not a strategic place to stay but my mom prefers to stay in Sha Tin as she says she knows this area better. I guess she has other plans when I leave them to get back to work! Will definitely check out that piano in the lobby. Maybe get a good selfie with it behind me . Thanks, merman!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...