19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2016 3:08 AM by tommo781 RSS

Member Rates

i<3aworkout Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I use to get such great rates (yes, you had to really hunt them down in the little tabs across the top), but since the "Member Rate" started showing up as a new program they are sometimes (often) higher than my corporate rate or my AAA rate.

I loved it when I found that little gem of a price!  Now I just get extremely discouraged when member rates BARELY are any benefit at all.  Yes, at times they can be lower, but really $10 less isn't a MEMBER RATE!  And displaying it, when I find it less, only to see that it's Advance Purchase, yuck another disappointment.

Display like Hilton, Stash, others do and give up all rates MR, AAA, Marriott eBreaks, Government, AARP/Sr, MR points, etc. all in one view.  Makes me crazy to sort so many times.

Eliminate the Member Rate program and just put it back to a really great rate on the tab.  I'd rather spend time hunting down a good little gem of a rate on the old Marriot Rewards Member Rate tab and find an amazing rate $80 instead of a just barely less rate by $2 under publish regular rate or my AAA rate being less than the Member rate by $20.  Member rates should be where when I pull it up I say to myself "wow!  I'll never find a better rate"  Now I search asking myself "could my corporate rate be less?"  And lately I've found it is.  No exaggeration.

Message was edited by: I<3AWorkout

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Walnut Creek, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance ClubSport Walnut Creek Hotel
Pleasant Hill, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Pleasant Hill
Pleasanton, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Pleasanton
  • Re: Member Rates
    nationwide Platinum

i<3aworkout I am seeing the same things... my corporate rate wins, when I can get it.  And, as has been mentioned in previous threads, the member rate (for the lowest night) of your stay, is often a bit misleading.  You have to watch this like a hawk.  That's disappointing.  Give me a rate I can count on... the deceptive pricing gimmicks are akin to a bait and switch.  Come on Marriott, you are better than this.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

Excellent post! I could not agree more!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

When they barely started offering the Member Rates it was often a significant discount than the aaa or BAR rate. Now they are the same and has no point.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree, your post brings up some really good topics.

While I can use my corporate rate for leisure travel, its not available at resorts and certain other properties in touristy places, and the member rates are often no better than AAA (I am not joining AARP due to it politics so I cant use that rate).

Why offer the "member rate" when its not that great? Its so they can try to induce you to cut out priceline, hotwire, trivago, airline booking sites, etc The differential is a percentage of what they were paying to get your rez from these other sites. Now that you cant earn points from 3rd party booking sites, and if Marriott can save the referral click fee, they think they are doing us a favor, but in reality, the savings are a fraction of what they used to pay others, so they get to earn more and we get to pay about the same.

If anyone thinks they were doing this as a bennie, well, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale, real cheap.

TKlimited39 Member

This is so true. I stayed at Marriott a week ago, made reservations 2 weeks in advance. The rate for the room was $85 a night. Well, I canceled my reservations the night before because something came up, and I didn't think I would make the stay at Marriott on the day I planned. Well, when that day arrived, I was found that I was able to go as planned originally, but of course I had to make reservations again. When I made reservations again for that day, the price was $119. Just in less than 24hours the rate changed just that quick, and that was considered the "member rate". I couldn't understand why I couldn't have the same rate I had when I reserved 2 weeks prior, because the $85 was suppose to have been considered a "member rate". It kind of seemed a little unfair.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

According to your story the rate didn't change in 24 hours. It changed in 2 weeks. Your rate was locked when you made the initial reservation. Your new rate was set 2 weeks after your initial rate was set.

Last minute hotel reservations are often priced higher just like last minute plane tickets. Fair or unfair it's the way the world works.

TKlimited39 Member

Well, regardless of how you out it, I still agree with the original post on here. That's not really considered a good "Member rate". How about the "Initial reservation rate" could have stayed the same instead of going up. I feel that the rate should stay the same just based off of the fact that you ARE MR member, regardless if you cancel your reservations or not. And yest I do like the old member rate they use to have. They should bring that back in place instead of this one.

I think it's misleading to call it the "initial reservation rate". This was a completely different reservation. If I make a reservation for a stay in June should I get the same rate at Christmas? OP Cancelled the reservation. That reservation no longer existed and any special rate, deal, or whatever is gone. OP then created a new reservation. New rules apply. It simply makes sense to me.

TKlimited39 Member

Would you be happy if they changed your rate, and gave you a higher rate at a Platinum status as a MR member? I don't think you would be happy, if you locked in your reservations at $85 dollar rate, then you had to cancel for some reason. A day later you set up reservations again, and this time it went up to $150.  I know yall can't  be that naive as to see what the person in the original post is trying to say. They made a good point. I just put an example out of what happened to me several weeks ago, as to point out how the rates for MR members change, and not stay the same like it used to be a while back. The whole concept was missed, and some toes was stepped on obviously, because you two seem to be in your feelings lol. It is what it is, but it doesn't  change the fact that I agree with this original post. Lol....smh....you have your opinion, and I have mines. I guess we will agree to disagree.

Jsucool76 Gold

Hotel rates from any company, regardless of elite status, regardless of anything, fluctuate on a near daily basis. That is how the hotel business works.

What you're saying is essentially like saying "I bought a TV for $500. 6 months later it was only $300...so give me my $200 back."

While it may seem like a different situation, it is nearly identical to the situation you're explaining, however, when you change it to this wording, it makes even less sense.

When you booked the hotel it was $85. Just because you cancelled a day before you rebooked, doesn't mean that the rate changed that day. The rate could have changed 20 minutes after you booked.

If you booked at $85, and never cancelled, and the hotel said "Well, it's $119 now...you owe us the difference" you'd be pissed. So why would the hotel allow you to book at a rate that is no longer available.

TKlimited39 Member

Well, I'm sorry if it makes less sense to you, but it makes ALL sense to me.  So...WHATEVER!!!!

If I locked in my rate at $85 then cancelled the reservation that means I just unlocked the rate. If I then create a new reservation I get the rate in effect at that time.

Would I be happy to find I'm paying more? Nope. Would I be surprised? Nope. It's the way the world works.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

member rates are **** there's never a search were member rates are cheaper than the standard rate

Jsucool76 Gold

I've actually had a few experiences where I snagged some fantastic member rates. Cheaper than AAA.

agbcpa Platinum 5 Reviews

In my experience i have that the AAA rate almost always beats the member rate - and the AAA rate tend to have resort credits when the member rates do not - it would be a nice touch if the member rate was always the best rate on the site bit often it is not

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

My problem is every time I look at member rate they seem to be non cancelable .    I look at senior/ aaa and any other and chose the cheapest fully cancelable rate

YogiB Platinum

In my experience, even if a rate is said "pre-paid" or :advanced purchase" rate, they don't charge the credit card right away. Normally it's only charged 2-3 days before arrival.

insertcoffee Platinum

I've found that not all props allow the AAA rate. I look, but have not had much luck with this method.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

We don't have the many choices of rates here in the UK as in the US jerryl, but I am with you.  I always go for a cancellable rate.  I am not prepared to commit myself to paying a great deal of money up front (even if it isn't charged to my card immediately) for the sake of saving a few pounds.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...