38 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2016 9:16 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

Take My Platinum Elite Status... Please!

Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

If Marriott Rewards wants to take back the remainder of my 2016 Platinum Elite status - and give it to someone else - feel free to do so!

This "Top Rewards Tier" is ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH 75 hotel nights in a calendar year - to qualify for.

I am sick of all the excuses, limitations and every other negative thing that this hotel chain can surprise you with.

And as a final note:  Please stay away from the Starwood properties...  Otherwise you'll mess up their Top Tier program as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Take My Platinum Elite Status... Please!
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi gnw.  So sorry to hear of your frustrations.  I'd  like to provide support and have sent you a direct message for additional details.  Talk soon, Cara. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bctg77 Platinum 6 Reviews

I know many keep asking....But what is going on with our Lifetime Points STILL Not showing???? This has gone on long enough.

702rugbyref Platinum

Somebody is not having a good day. Hope it gets better.

mrbmbrown Platinum

It is one of the highest elite thresholds in the industry and in many ways is lacking compared to top tier statuses at other properties.

I hope your day improves as well.

nationwide Platinum

C'mon gnw, you gotta have faith!!!  I do hope your day, and your weekend, improve!  Knock out your LTP, and then you can get the wandering eye!  You don't want to walk away from all your loyalty.... Trust me, the grass is not greener over there.  We've all been where you are, but there are good days too my friend.  Hope to see you again soon!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I will be very happy to take your Platinum Elite status and give it to a Veteran friend of mine who would love to be elite in any hotel or airline program.  Do you have status in any airline that you'd also like to package together for this Veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan?

mrbmbrown Platinum

Fantastic idea!!!!!

Platinum

There are actually a few programs that do donate flight miles and hotel points to vets, families visiting relatives with cancer, etc. If anyone wants me to, I'll start a post with the links.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Does this need to be run through the old R-O-M? It looks like a promising candidate.

Looks to me like the old one and done. Sounds like a rant. I see all CAPS too. Smells like a rant. Sick of excuses. Could be a rant.

As the creator of the Rant-O-Meter℠, only brightlybob can say for sure.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Well, I'd take it like a shot!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Please be more specific.  I love being Platinum!  I get breakfast at the FS chains, CL admittance where it exists, extra points leading to extra free nights, upgrades, and more.

So far, I have experienced no downsides and I have no idea what your complaints are.  I have stayed with Marriott for more than 50 years and have been a member in Marriott Rewards for 25 years.  Things are not perfect, but Marriott treats me far better than any other chain!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I think what gnw is trying to say is that earning P status provides few additional benefits over G (points earning the biggest delta). Now if he were referring to PP status, which is only given to the top 3% and is the hardest status to reach of any hotel rewards program, the differences (as duly noted many times on this site) between P and PP is an 800#, nothing else. In this respect, I agree with gnw - why bust butt in bed for over 75 nights when the additional benefits are zip?

For most of my MR years, I was 100% Marriott where several years I had over 200 paid nights and averaging 175 paid over a 15 year period. In hindsight, most uber-travellers are better off splitting their stays with another program such as 75MR and 75HH. Doing so then allows one to have more choices for vacation travel and options of using points. The ONLY reason not to split is that it takes twice as long per program to earn enough points to reach a target goal.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

only real other  benefit is getting you to lifetime

curiousone Platinum

I like the idea of splitting loyalty and having more choices. I had picked up HH because some places I travel did not have Marriott. Earlier this year Hilton offered a free status match. I confirmed my Marriott Plat status and was given Hilton Diamond thru 2017. I have to say I am not seeing any extra love from Hilton vs. Marriott.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

curiousone, I also did the HHonors status match and have found top tier status to be pretty similar to Marriott's, although Hilton does really pull out the stops for the Diamonds at Waldorf-Astoria whereas Marriott gives you zippo at Ritz-Carlton, so I'd say HHonors is better for it's very top tier properties.

Platinum

clebert - but how do you feel about the value of points vs. what it takes to get a decent room at a nice property? HH always seemed to take quite a bit more points to get an equivalent room. They do have a lot of ways to earn extra points, but nothing quite comparing to megabonus. Am I away from HH too long and need to look at it with fresh eyes?

dansplan you are right about value of points at HHonors.  I just booked the Doubletree in Fiji for 40,000 points a night.  The Hilton Fiji Resort was 50,000 a night.  Seems about 10,000 or maybe 15,000 more than Marriott would charge in points for similar properties. 

chobbits Platinum

Free breakfast. Double points. Entrance gift. Suite upgrades. Lounge access....

Why are you complaining ?

Platinum

Complaining is a right on any public forum. You don't have to agree with it, but seems pointless to ask why when you've posted about 10 times to date. Al of the things you mentioned are part of the contract agreement that Marriott has with Plat's so again, it's moot to list them out. Welcome to MRI where all opinions are valued my friend.

chobbits Platinum

Fair enough, but i think the perks of Platinum are actually very good compared to other brands

Platinum

I'm glad you feel that way. I even agree with you, being an HH diamond as well as many other progs

paal Platinum 1 Reviews

I get a free icecream on every checkin in Asia. And in USA I get a free Snickers chocolate bar as welcome gift. I always feel soooo special

Platinum

Please tell me you're 8 years old or joking, right?

paal Platinum 1 Reviews

Nope.

Just telling what my "Platinimum welcome gifts" are.

Not joking at all

Platinum

Paal - Wow - ok. I recommend a pic of ice cream gift in progress for the community to see what we're missing

Have we heard from this person since the original post?

If not, I must again to defer to brightlybob as to whether this should be processed through the ol'

Rant-O-Meter℠.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Oh, go on, bejacob at your special request, let me pull it out of the shed... Tell you what the wheels are seized... Now add the firelighters, coal, stoke, careful now, it gets very hot from the steaming ranter (as well as the burning coal, obviously)...

Rant title - A plea to take a top tier hotel status? This one will be a scream! 10/10

Rant use of "I'm a Top Tier Elite" - DING-A-LING - 10/10

Rant detail - Only 87 words. No detail, no rationality just 87 words, I've barely got the popcorn into the microwave before it's finished 2/10

Rant excessive capitalisation - Just 3 CAPITALISED words - Hmmm, these are my 3 - MUST TRY HARDER - 3/10 (to keep with the 3-theme)

Rant excessive punctuation - Only 1 exclamation mark, no effort gets no points 0/10

Rant use of annoyed emoticons - Red steaming faces always perk up a good rant but don't feature here, so 0/10

Rant specifics- None at all. What's going wrong with room upgrades, 50% bonus points, late checkout, 48-hour availability, free breakfast, free lounge access, welcome points, member rates etc, etc. Lots to like and no detail why ranter hates it 0/10

Rant referral to cost - A little obtuse but the 75-nights it's not worth are a kind-of so I'll give a kind-of 4/10

Rant style - Starts off with a brilliant title, but then sinks into generality making it impossible to determine what's caused this. Poor 2/10

Rant likelihood of one-and-done - Nothing says not coming back like an invitation to give away hard earned Platinum status, so can't be more emphatic 10/10

Comments: What was the point, really, what was the P-O-I-N-T??? Who knows? Final mark D+. And that's me in a generous mood as I'm looking forward to dragging the Rant-O'-Meter out to BigBrainsOnBrads missive when he's not looking!

Platinum

Heh... well that last post certainly says it all...   I sure it will encourage others to continue providing

feedback in this forum in a positive and encouraging manner...

I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words and advise off-forum.

P.S.   SPG have offered Platinum status for only 18 nights in a 3-month timeframe.

See ya.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

What feedback gnw. Really, what?

I and other members of this forum are supportive and try to be helpful regarding complaints and weigh in with moderators and suggestions, email addresses and the like. I am well known for holding Marriotts feet to the fire on behalf of others here, but really? "Take away my plat status, it's rubbish". What are we meant to do with that?

You came on here to have a rant and I've marked it. D+ is more than fair.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Bob,  I agree that you are usually fair and reasonable.  If you have been driven to your grading rant, imagine what a real hot head like me must be thinking!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thus the reason I never made another post on this thread from my first...guess I'm calming down in my formative years!!!   NOT in the least.

panusr Platinum 1 Reviews

I love being a Marriott rewards member. Every hotel program has/offers unique benefits. I like the Marriott benefits. 

Was your original post done in "a positive and encouraging manner?" Somehow it didn't come across that way.

As for the SPG issue. By 2017, Marriott and Starwood will be one company, and by 2018, expect their rewards programs to be merged. How that happens remains to be seen. One thing is for certain, it won't please everyone.

I've been cheating on Marriott with Loews and Hilton this year (not my fault - my clients made me do it!), so I won't renew my Plat unless I buy back with points.  Would gladly take gnw's offer

visyak Platinum

Check in gift/bonus and additional 25% points bonus............what else?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

gnw

Please accept my apology for the behavior of several other Insiders.  You have EVERY right to voice your concern and do not need the childish abuse that has been thrown your way.  Anyway, feel free to post any concern you wish whether it passes certain folks muster or not should not deter you.  I would rather hear a concern of yours than much of the nonsense offered by others.  the nonsense is what drove me from this site........

shoeman

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...