5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2016 6:42 PM by homoviator RSS

Marriott Rewards Visa- prepaying stay- lesson learned

cerealtrader Silver
Currently Being Moderated

In an effort to maximize using my Marriott Rewards Visa, I recently prepaid (or attempted) for nine hotel rooms on a soccer trip weekend with my team. I realized the risk that if we were to not be able to use some of the rooms (illness, early checkout,etc.) it would be tricky potentially to get credited back.

I did this (after being assured by the account manager I was working with at Marriott on this trip) so that I would be able to pay off the balance before we arrived, then use the card for all travel expenses over the weekend and continue to accrue points. The hotel charge was more or less my entire credit limit.  I immediately made a payment to pay off the balance after the initial charge showed up online.

However, the charge sat and sat and sat as pending on my account and when I arrived at the hotel at the end of the week it had still not cleared. I contacted Marriott customer service on the phone three separate times (for a total of about three hours) to figure out how I could get access to my line of credit as the charge just wouldn't go through.  They were stumped at to why it would not go through but told me that the payment I made would not be applied to my account until the charge went through (fair enough).  When it became clear it just was never going to be anything other than pending, I was told that I wouldn't have access to that payoff money until the end of my statement period (several weeks away still).

The solution they came up with:  cancel the transaction.  Then I would have (choose one of the following responses I was told by various credit card reps) immediate access to my credit line/access after 8 hours/access after the system updated overnight/access after 24 hours.

So, a whole weekend trying to scramble to pay expenses for the soccer trip, and not accruing any points to boot.

The Marriott charge that would never go through.. ended up being cancelled just about the time I pulled into my driveway home from the trip.  Marriott at the hotel to their credit did not attempt to charge me for the rooms on the Rewards Visa upon checkout (no credit available) and agreed that it would be all sorted out once I had proof the credit was restored and I had been able to look at each hotel room bill individually,

My understanding amidst all the finger pointing from Marriott and Marriott/Chase Visa is that if you are going to prepay for your room it has to be coded in a very specific way or else it will basically just be no different than the hold they place on your card when you arrive at the front desk. Also, even if done right (and I'm not saying it was done incorrectly), there is always the chance that a transaction might just get stuck in pending purgatory and you will be stuck like i was. Then it's really anyone's guess how long it might take if you choose to try and get the charge voided. Plus, my payment on that card will not go through for weeks (they think). meaning I will still basically not have access to earning points until it does.

Just shared in case anyone else is considering prepaying for their say to try and maximize the use of their Marriott Rewards Visa..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards Visa- prepaying stay- lesson learned
    monisame Platinum

What a mess.!!!! Thanks for sharing your experience. As you say lesson learned.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

yikes...lesson learned.

nationwide Platinum

cerealtrader  - this is a real doozy of a story, and I hate that you had to go through it!  I think Marriott ought to comp you some extra rewards points for the effort you expended to clear the balance ahead of time,  the headache you had to endure while on your trip, and then not to mention tying up your card from additional earnings since you returned home. 

I think you should talk to the hotel or the moderators here on MRI to see if they can add some points so this doesn't leave such a lingering bad taste in your mouth. 

Thank you for sharing the story though - it's quite the cautionary tale!

cerealtrader Silver

I wanted to provide an update to this cautionary tale about prepaying for your rooms:

I contacted Chase via email and explained exactly what had happened and asked them to read through the (numerous) notes that had been added to my account. 

I received a reply back that explained that the reason I couldn't charge anything to my Chase Marriott Visa last week was because I was attempting to go over my limit.. they did not address my concern that a charge from Marriott had been pending for a week at all and that when the charge had been cancelled I received four different (and incorrect) times that I would have access to my credit again. 

They, like the various Chase representative before them encouraged me to apply for a higher credit limit (and then I guess I wouldn't have been in this predicament). .And to make me go away, more or less, they told me they would be adding 3,000 points to my account in the near future..

The Marriott charge went through today and my payment was immediately applied (not at the end of the statement period as I had been told).

homoviator Platinum

this sounds like a mess and that sucks. Another idea for the future would be to ask to have the credit limit raised in the near future once all of this has been sorted out. Best of luck and I hope you haven't been too soured by this.  In my experience, Marriott will go out of their way to help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...