7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2010 8:37 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

No Black Out Dates - Tired of the lies

hollywood Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I continue to hear stories from co-workers and others who have tried to use points all over the world only to be denied. This happened to me this morning when I tried to book a 5 night stay. I could have paid $560 a night but could not use points even though plenty of rooms were available. How can you be aloud to market something so strongly that is not true. I am sure it will be just a matter of time before this result’s in a law suite, hopefully a class action suite.

Just be honest with us and say we increased points needed by 30% last year and we have limited the number of rooms available at each hotel for points on any given night. No one is happy a bought it but at least we can respect the honesty. If you can lie regarding this, what else are you being dishonest abought?

• MORE BLACKOUT POLICE PLEASE
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Hollywood,

Regards the increase in points required to redeem an award, there continues to be the element of sticker shock. Thanks for being candid, I've seen several of your posts about the 2009 changes in the Marriott Rewards Program and delighted that you've taken the time to comment.

Regards the No Blackout Dates policy, there are hotels that evade compliance.  One Insider saw the topic on FlyerTalk. I took the liberty of quoting the reply by Marriott Concierge here at Insiders.  For convenience, here's an extract from an earlier post:

"One contributor states that Marriott has a team of internal auditors monitoring hotel compliance with the No Blackout Dates policy.  The response by Marriott Concierge on Flyertalk provides recourse:

"Redemption room availability is controlled through our global reservations system to ensure hotels comply with the No Blackout Date policy. If you think a hotel is in violation , you can email MRW.Redemption.Questions@Marriott.com with the specific hotel and dates in question. If the hotel is not in compliance, we will ensure they come back into compliance, book your reservation, and award you 5,000 points for the inconvenience. "

The frequency of reports about the lack of rooms for point redemption appears to be on the increase suggesting the need for MORE 'blackout police.'  At the same time, it's important that whenever we encounter lack of compliance with the No Blackout Dates policy that it is promptly reported as Marriott Concierge on FlyerTalk proposes:  email MRW.Redemption.Questions@Marriott.com with the specific hotel and dates in question.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MORE BLACKOUT POLICE PLEASE
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"exceptions are made in major markets for some hotels to have fewer allotments of no-blackout rooms"

The only exceptions to the No Blackout Dates policy are explicitly stated and published in the Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions, see Hotel Rewards paragraph 13:

"The following properties either do not participate in or do not fully participate in “No Blackout Dates” at this time:
    - Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, Rome, Italy
    - Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
    - Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Hawaii
    - Camelback Inn, A JW Marriott Resort and Spa, Scottsdale, AZ
    - JW Marriott Capri Tiberio Palace Resort & Spa, Capri, Italy"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"exceptions are made in major markets for some hotels to have fewer allotments of no-blackout rooms"

At the risk of confusing everyone, the list grows l-o-n-g-e-r considering properties explicitly excluded under General Membership paragraph 10 of the Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditions (login required).  These hotels do not participate in Marriott Rewards. You cannot earn MR points or redeem MR points. By default, the hotels shown in red below are also excluded from complying with the No Blackout Dates policy:

1. Marriott Hotel Brands Participating in Marriott Rewards:

• Marriott Hotels & Resorts - all locations

• JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts - all locations

• Renaissance Hotels & Resorts - all locations

• Fairfield Inn/Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott - all locations

• SpringHill Suites by Marriott - all locations

• Courtyard by Marriott - all locations

• Residence Inn by Marriott - all locations except:

• Inn at Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL

• TownePlace Suites by Marriott - all locations

• Marriott Vacation Club International - all locations except:

• Marriott's StreamSide Evergreen, Vail, CO

• Marriott's StreamSide Douglas, Vail, CO

• Marriott's StreamSide Birch, Vail, CO

• 47 Park Street - Marriott Grand Residence Club, UK

• Marriott Conference Centers - all locations except:

• Aspen Wye River Conference Center, Queenstown, MD (participates as an earnings location only)

• NCED Marriott Conference Center, Oklahoma City, OK

• Jesse H. Jones Rotary House Conference Center, Houston, TX

Unless explicitly excluded, hotels should be actively engaged in complying with No Blackout Dates.  If not they deserve to be reported to the Blackout Police. Email MRW.Redemption.Questions@Marriott.com with the specific hotel and dates in question.

tjcnewyork Platinum

To really confuse everyone, there is another group that appears to be excluded.  Let's say you book a reservation using points with the intent of Same Day Check-In.   As shown in red below, under Hotel Rewards, paragraph 4 of the Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditions there are exclusions:

4. For added convenience and flexibility, Members may use points at check-in for same-day and/or extension of current reservation if the hotel has availability and the member has sufficient points in their account. This program benefit is offered at the hotel award rate and is applicable at hotels in the US (except Hawaii) and Canada only.*

*This benefit is not applicable at Marriott Vacation Club International and The Ritz-Carlton.

• LESS CONFUSION PLEASE
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Dear Marriott,

As illustrated in the posts titled, MORE BLACKOUT POLICE PLEASE, the list of hotels excluded from compliance with Marriott's No Blackout Dates policy is lengthy.  While I have no basis to claim that I am, 'Tired of the Lies', I admit to being 'Tired of the Confusion'.

Having a group of internal auditors actively monitoring compliance to Marriott's No Blackout Policy is a sound practice. However, the myriad levels of exclusions would make the job extremely challenging for anyone especially for us who only seek to book a room using points. 

The excercise of wading through T&Cs calls for a solution.  As a starting point, I offer these thoughts:

1. Publish a comprehensive list of properties excluded from compliance with the No Blackout Dates policy in one place that is easily accessible online.
    2. Establish and enforce monetary sanctions upon those hotels who fail to comply. and/or masquerade compliance.  Create a hall of shame if needed.
    3. Actively monitor promotional rates and special deals that are evasive and/or limit the number of rooms available for point redemption.
    4. Rethink how to compensate for the inconvenience. Consider a sliding scale that increases compensation based upon higher Elite status.

I think there is positive value by engaging your Elite members in actively monitoring and reporting hotels who fail to comply.  In so doing, your franchisees will be more attentive to corporate policy and responsive to your guests. Over time this will not only reduce complaints, but also return added credibility, trust and loyalty to Marriott.

• Re: No Black Out Dates -
    travelbuddies Platinum 1 Reviews

I remember that when I bought another timshare week, they were just about to change the Marriott Point Tier system and I was very vocal in my disapproval. The salesman guaranteed that we would now not have any blackout dates.  I asked specifically about Marriott Champs and the Grand Flora in Rome.  He promised we would be just fine and would have no problem getting our points redeemed.  Well, here it is I tried nearly a year in advance and the Grand Flora has very limited days for the REST OF THE YEAR!  I am disgusted and disappointed.  I wrote to  MRW.Redemption.Questions@Marriott.com   but am worried.  Here's hoping.  I can't afford 500 Euro a night for 5 nights! .

• Re: No Black Out Dates - Tired of the lies
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"He promised we would be just fine and would have no problem getting our points redeemed.  Well, here it is I tried nearly a year in advance and the Grand Flora has very limited days for the REST OF THE YEAR!  I am disgusted and disappointed."

Travelbuddies:

The Grand Flora does not participate in Marriott's No Blackout Dates, in fact, it's stated in paragraph 13, T&C's.  That said, there is a solution.  Rather than repeat earlier tips, consider spending some time reading through the Insider discussion for insight, specifically:

NewHiltonMembr and MikigFLA are among several Insiders who have been able to reserve at the Flora using points.  By clicking on their 'handles' in the discussions noted above, you can reach out privately.

Feel free to post back. Best wishes in advance on achieving the desired outcome.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...