39 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2016 10:03 AM by bpelican RSS

Platinum Arrival Gift DENIED!

ip241au Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott Dulles Airport refused my request for a $10 food and beverage voucher as a Platinum Arrival Gift.  Desk clerk said he could not honor the request since my stay was paid for by a voucher from my employer.  First Marriott I have encountered anywhere that refused.  Gave me access to the lounge though.  30 years as a MR member, a lifetime Gold and frequent Platinum Level member.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, DC, Virginia, USA
Fairfield Inn, Marriott
Dulles
  • Re: Platinum Arrival Gift DENIED!
    fistuk Platinum

If I'm not mistaken, a stay paid by your employer isn't eligible for nights credit nor points. However, status benefits are something they can't take from you, what so ever, and as a proof you did get the lounge access, so why not the arrival gift?...

I'm sure one of the mods here can look into it for you, and if I'm right you should seek to claim your $100 compensation according to Marriott's policy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum

Would love to see the results of this if you pursue - especially if CM's actually help in a significant way.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Really? Almost every single stay I have had in the past two years has been paid for by my employer - company credit card. And I am earning away nights and points. As I would expect so are many on here.

fistuk Platinum

I guess there's a difference between paying with your company's credit card to a voucher from the employer...

mrbmbrown Platinum

Perhaps, I assume if you mean a voucher, then that means your employer is paying directly. I have had those instances as well and unless it is some deeply discounted negotiated rate, I have always gotten credit (bulk booking for conferences for example).

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi ip241au, Sounds like a frustrating experience.  I'd like to take a look into this for you and have reached out via direct message for additional details.  Talk soon.

702rugbyref Platinum

Interesting situation. Please let us know the outcome.

ohmark Platinum

You should immediately put in motion the $100 guarantee.  According to Marriott's own rule, BEFORE you checkout you must go to front desk and demand payment of the $100 guarantee set forth in the rules.  If they deny, that will set you up to eventually collect.  If  the belatedly offer the f&b credit, I would refuse and insist on the $100.  You might want to have Marriott's rules handy and ask the fdc, to show you where the exception he made up is.  Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee      Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

fistuk  is bang on the money here, however your stay is booked, whoever is paying the bill, you are always entitled to your plat benefits as long as your number is on the booking (and you can call to add your MR# to the reservation at any time before checkin). Since you were given lounge access I'm assuming your number was on the reservation (as opposed to simply giving you lounge access because you were pushy at checkin). Push hard and $100 should be coming your way...

jgerard Platinum

Does it matter if you are the main guest, or if you have your name and MR# added to the reservation after booking?  I know we've gotten the plat benefits in the past, such as enhanced internet and lounge access, but I just don't remember if we've ever gotten the Platinum Arrival Gift or not in this way (wife and I switch off on reservations for family trips depending on who needs the nights to get to the next level).

The booking does have to be in your name, obviously you get no plat privileges sharing a room with reserved by a gold member because it's the gold members room. But if you are the main occupant then your name will be on the booking and as long as your MR# is on the reservation then your elite benefits will apply. Not all corporate rates used by employers qualify for points or night credit, that depends on what the employer has negotiated. Indeed some employers strictly forbid employees from any personal gain whilst travelling and enforce this by negotiating a corporate rate that specifically excludes points and night credit.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Would the firm doing that type of negotiating be run by a guy named Scrooge?

Yes, incredible isn't it, but I did come across a guy on Flyertalk whose company rates followed that practice and I seem to remember someone here stating the same a while back

Platinum

Was this the guy that booked your room? I don't know if I'd trust em...just sayin

gmem.jpg

ip241au Platinum 1 Reviews

Communicated with the hotel manager about this problem. Said he would brief his staff and deposited 1000 points into my MR account for the inconvienence. I will find out next time if his staff comes through.

ohmark Platinum

The manager failed you once again.  Marriott's prescribed remedy for a property's failure to  honor its guarantee of your choice of a platinum arrival gift is to, upon your request, present you with $100 in cash on the spot.  The manager knows this but instead is attempting to buy you off with points worth about $10-$15. 

fistuk Platinum

I'm really sorry for you, ip241au.

If you really accepted this lame offer, than you're a poor MR member (no offense meant)... this situation is clear as a crystal and in which you should be compensated with $100, but the fact that you agreed for a 'settle' of 1000 points seems like a bad joke on your end.

One of the most significant qualities of a MR platinum member is, first of all, standing for your rights!

chobbits Platinum

Is 10 dollars really worth worrying about ?

i Would have compensated myself with two extra glasses of vino in the exec lounge. Problem solved

ohmark Platinum

Doubt the OP's concern was $10.  Assume the problem was the property's service failure and the fdc's lack of knowledge of the MR program. 

As to helping yourself to free wine from the honor bar; what's that old saying about two wrongs?

chobbits Platinum

^^ Where I stay, mostly the wine in the bar is free anyway.....

...and you missed my point entirely lol

Here in the EU exec lounge alcohol is free...

ohmark Platinum

I know that to be true having stayed at Ren St Pancras and County Hall.  But thought the reply above to the OP was a little harsh.   Sorry if that wasn't the intent.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

You don't know him well enough yet.    Stick around and you will find out that brightlybob is one of the most knowledgeable, respected and even handed Insiders going.

ohmark Platinum

Oh dear; at the risk of further prolonging this, my original comment was not directed to BrightlyBob, who is exactly as you describe and has been very helpful to many posters.  I simply didn't care for the other poster's comment which seemed to imply that the OP should have better things to do than worry about a matter worth $10.  But, I acknowledge that may not have been the other poster's intent and so I said above that if that was the case, "Sorry."

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Unfortunately your response was directly in reply to brightlybob.  Which is why I posted my response.  Don't worry.  We all had to learn the ropes on this forum.  And I know for sure that brightlybob will not have taken offence at all!

ohmark Platinum

Again, I would hope that brightlybob would take no offense because there was no offense to him given, implied, or intended.  Don't think I can make this any clearer.  

Haha, no offence taken, ohmark.

In any event my skin is as thick as a crocodiles, it takes a great deal of effort to get under it!

And thanks for the very kind shoutout Tommo781

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

You are welcome brightlybob.  You owe me one.  And I will take it in kind.  A pint of Harveys Sussex Bitter in the Market Porter at Borough Market one day will do it!

You are on, a nice pint of warm beer... mmmmmmmm

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Bob we may need to get the tipple hotel to get you a supply of warm beer

Don't worry jerryl, I can manage cooled beer too, indeed I suspect most of the beer I drink is cooled, but cellar temperature still English Bitter hand pulled from the cask is a real treat. Keeping a good bitter isn't easy but I'm very lucky to live literally next door to a pub that takes very good care of its Hydes!

When it comes to cooled beer I enjoy wheat beers such as the Belgian Hoegaarden and USA ShockTop, so I'll be especially looking out for those, though I'm no beer snob and am always happy with an nice cool Bud!

One of the joys of travel for me is sampling local beers and it's good to hear about the revival of local brewing taking place in the USA at the moment!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

brightlybob.  I am glad I don't live near you!  If there was such a pub within walking distance of me - well, I would be in there far too much!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

He said the lounge not the honor bar. Wine in lounges is usually free.

ohmark Platinum

Wine in most non-U.S. lounges is generally free, but is not in virtually every Marriott concierge lounge in the U.S. Instead, it generally is provided on an "honor bar" basis, that is that the member is supposed to fill out a form to have the wine charged to his/her room.  The OP stayed at the Dulles Airport Marriott in the U.S.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Not sure the direct relevance, but....

I have been staying at the same Marriott property in Bangkok for years. Always paid with the company CC. Got full benefits and the arrival gift. When I retired I began using my own CC. Same result.

Started working as an independent consultant. Used my own CC and same result. But then the company I was consulting with decided to save some money. They were using another company to process my expense report and got charged a 15% handling fee. So to save the 15% they contacted the Marriott property and had them bill the company directly. No more points or nights for me.

ohmark Platinum

The MR rules are such that third party billing may preclude earning points or elite night credit, but should have no impact on providing in-property benefits such as Platinum arrival gift or upgrades--so long as the reservation contains the member's Marriott Rewards number.

insertcoffee Platinum

Master Billing strikes again.

That is a bummer, to not get that minuscule benefit to accrue to you.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

ip241au

Certainly not the kind of customer service one would expect for a "30 years as a MR member, a lifetime Gold and frequent Platinum Level member."  Should have been a "no brainer."  Glad that carat is looking into it for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...