9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2016 4:03 PM by seatexan RSS

Family Vacations???

benbuck6 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Well, we just knocked out summer vacation. Its got me thinking about future vacations. I then realized I have access to some pretty experienced travelers through this forum. So, for family vacation...whats #1 on your list. Could be where you have been or always go or where you dream of going. Next summer I will have a 15, 13, and 9 year old...Thanks and go.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Worldwide
  • Re: Family Vacations???
    benbuck6 Silver

Myrtle Beach has kind of always been a "back of my mind" type vacation. I worked there for a summer back in my youth. Was a singer in a local show. I liked it Myrtle Beach a lot and I think the wife would as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll second Hilton Head. There are a number of MVC properties on the island. Staying in one of the 2-bedroom villas would be great for a family and with a full kitchen, it can also cut down on dining out. I'm sure it's not cheap during the summer. I visited the SurfWatch MVC during the off-season and scored an amazing rate. Definitely worth consideration.

superchief1 Platinum

Since we live in the Midwest and like escaping the heat in the summer, Park City, UT is a common summer vacation destination. It is off season there, so hotels and restaurant prices are more reasonable. There is excellent hiking in the area, as well as several other outdoor activities. There are a few national parks within easy driving distance, and they are typically much less crowded than Yosemite and other western parks. Marriott Vacationclub has two timeshares in Park City. We typically stay at Mountainside, where we own every-other-year.

The Salt Lake City airport is only about an hour drive.

benbuck6 Silver

superchief1 - we just drove through Utah...driving from Denver to Vegas. I was so excited about the drive through the Colorado Rockies that I didn't even worry about researching the rest. Utah was a beautiful surprise. Just incredible. Adding it to my list.

We could actually do Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head for a long weekend. Utah would have to be full blown vacation.

j&c Platinum

Salt Lake City for 5-days in mid-February - go a "moment" before winter break or a "moment" after. Our kids (grown men) are begging us to go back for skiing, snowboarding, cross country, hiking, sightseeing and exceptional winter weather ! Solitude/Brighton/Alta/Snowbird are 45 minutes up the Wasatch Mountain Range from touching down in SLC - our preferred resorts. But if you are accomplished, Park City resorts offer advanced skiing/boarding just a tiny bit further away. Down the hill in SLC are some wonderful landmarks to explore and the weather is usually beautiful, warm and sunny for winter. C

mustanggt Platinum

If you can take your family vacation during the kids winter/spring break, consider the JW Marriott San Antonio.  It is an awesome hotel complete with a full water park including water slides and a lazy river.  There are also two TPC golf courses on campus (perhaps for you and the 15 year old).  A short drive away is the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Take a luncheon/dinner cruise on the river.  Visit the Alamo and Hall of Horns.  San Antonio also is home to the largest indoor rodeo in the country, held in the same arena where the Spurs play basketball.  The setting for the rodeo is similar to a state fair.  Also, after the rodeo each night there is a country music concert.  I saw Randy Houser there this year.  There is also a terrific Top Golf facility right in San Antonio.  It would be unfair to call Top Golf a driving range, although you do hit golf balls there, because it is so much more.  It is a three story entertainment complex geared to people of all ages.  San Antonio has a little something for everyone.

benbuck6 Silver

The wife and I went to San Antonio a few times when we first got married for my work. Loved it, great idea to take the family back...this is one that can also be done for a long weekend.

corrie1013 Platinum

I will second the JW Hill Country Resort in San Antonio....as I say, "It's my happy place."  It's a staycation for us, and it really does feel like we're far away from home.  Beautiful grounds, the water complex is AMAZING and the food (and drinks!!) are usually very good.  Last March, they opened 2 new waterslides that I think all three of your kids will love- if they are daring.  So, I think there are a total of 5 waterslides now.  Also- there's a new pool that has a beach entry- literally...with sand.  It's a big sand area that the kids love playing in. 

It's funny- now that I'm typing this all out- maybe I'll use my 7 night certificate there- instead of flying all the way to Mexico!

seatexan Platinum

YES!!! I love the JW Hill Country Resort! I think there are a good number of restaurants and kids things to do there.  I don't have kids but if I did, this would be a great place.  Even as an adult with no kids I think it is fantastic. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...