16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2016 3:34 PM by kestrel RSS

Parking Fees

jrayn101 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We all know parking fees can be a shocker when you see that they can more than 20% of the cost of one night stay. I'm planning a 2 week work trip and this is giving me some heartburn. In downtown Indianapolis several Marriott brands share the SAME parking garage however its $25 for 3 of the brands and $40 for the JW. Again same garage. My questions are

1.has anyone ever received a discount or fees waived for parking?

2.do platinum members get parking fees waived?

Thanks everyone,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Bremen, Bremen, Germany
  • Re: Parking Fees
    Platinum

I've had parking fees waived, but that is not a documented Platinum benefit. Was just a nice staff member and they continue to do so for me at that property (sorry, I can't mess up a good thing, so don't want to mention property). Many times Marriott is contracting the parking out to a 3rd party, so this makes it harder or more difficult (never impossible - I buy dinner for my good clients all of the time) for Marriott to do this on a regular basis or across the entire Marriott universe (it's more than just a planet).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Parking has always been a peeve of me especially when a Marriott will mearly put a gate up on their parking lot. No extra cost and no issue with them paying a private firm. I recently stayed at a Marriott in Newton  and saw a 7 dollar charge for parking . The same with the SFO Marriott

superchief1 Platinum

I have been unsuccessful regarding having parking fees waved or reduced at Marriott (or other hotel) properties, especially in urban locations. I often find other local garages are much less expensive than the official hotel garages, so I find my own parking (although I don't get MR points). In some cases, the official 'hotel' garage charges lower rates to the general public. I think you should be able to find less expensive parking options in downtown Indianapolis, especially on weekends.

The Indianapolis JW is a really nice property with excellent service. Have a great trip, and enjoy a steak at Elmo's if you have a chance.

702rugbyref Platinum

I started a similar blog over a year ago as the parking fees really tick me off for many reasons.

I have never gotten them waived or reduced and I am a PE. I actually try to avoid them whenever possible just out of protest.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Philadelphia Marriott West waived my parking fee because I am Platinum.  I didn't ask, the front desk clerk stated it as a matter of fact upon check in.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Wow, that is awesome. I will keep that in mind next time I am back in the City of Brotherly Love.

Platinum 4 Reviews

The City of Brotherly Love once booed Santa Claus. Those Philly people are a tough crowd.

droma Platinum

Williamsport, PA Residence Inn redeems the parking in the garage next door and makes it free for everyone!  Not the most bustling metropolitan city, but still a really nice treat to see them doing that when most don't.

Platinum 4 Reviews

I bet this RI is booked solid every August with the LLWS coming to town.

Platinum

LLWS - hmmm...Larry Larry William and Sue? Laremy Laremy Woodchuck and Solomon? Help out a left coaster here.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Little League Baseball World Series.

IMG_1079.jpgIMG_1059.jpgIMG_1058.jpg

mrbmbrown Platinum

I have never had the parking fees waived as a Platinum (or even PP member).

I have asked for and gotten reduced fees when there is no service. Inner city, you are almost stuck with parking fees.

I do think this is one benefit Marriott could benefit from greatly! Allowing a discount for Plat Members (if not Free).

There really is not much differentiation (from my personal perspective) between Gold and Plat other than the increased benefit in % of bonus points.

Location Brand Hotel
    Bremen, Bremen, Germany
    kestrel Gold

On the note of Parking Fees: I recently scored a couple of absolutely ridiculous rates at a CY in Houston, one a month ago, one upcoming. The parking fees exceed the room rate by about 50%

Screenshot_20160713-184648.png

mrbmbrown Platinum

Crazy rate... mistake rate? or Just an obscene price? Either way... kudos to you!

kestrel Gold

Mistake rate from what I gather. Unable to sleep, I logged onto Marriott at about 2am and checked rates at hotels in nearby cities. All Friday/Saturday rates at that CY were $19 for the months of June/July. About 5 minutes after booking 4 nights the rate corrected to $91 for all of those days. Looks like someone made a typo.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow that is a crazy low rate, the only time I've managed anything similar was an LNF at the Portsmouth Marriott several years ago that ended up at £19/nt including taxes!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...