8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2016 4:25 PM by carat RSS

11States and 4,300 miles in 10 Days

benbuck6 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Well, my crew of 5 just completed our Summer Vacation. We set out June 30 from Mississippi to travel West.  We drove a total of 4,300 miles. Stayed in 4 different hotels. Basically, this is some of my thoughts on the hotels.

Denver Springhill Suites Experience (1 Night) - Grade A-

We stayed at the Springhill Downtown. We arrived at 8:00am and we were exhausted from the drive but I know the check in rules and mentally prepared myself to walk and sight see while we waited on an available room. I walked in to the front desk and checked in. Before I could even ask, the guy told me he could get me in a room immediately if I wanted...I WANTED! We went up to our room...cleaned up...and went down to the complimentary breakfast. I have to say I liked this hotel. It was within walking distance of all things in Downtown and LoDo Denver. The staff was extremely helpful. The hotel was clean and well run. Every question asked got an immediate answer and one that seemed to be handled many times before.

Las Vegas Trump International (1 Night) -Grade A+

I Pricelined this hotel before I became a Marriot Member and it was only $125. Trump plus Vegas plus the political environment...I couldn't resist but to honor the reservation out of curiousity tbh (I had Pricelined a room in Denver for $85 and skipped the reservation...lost the $85 to stay at the Springhill). From the moment we pulled up to the moment we left, we were treated like royalty. Valets were incredible and at check in we got upgraded without asking or suggesting. The room was incredible. The service was incredible. We were only there a night but it left an impression.

Courtyard Marriot Maingate Anaheim (4 Nights) - Grade A

As we were approaching the hotel the first thing I noticed was how close the hotel was to the park, and how convenient it was in location to other things besides Disney...stores, dining spots, pharmacy were all right there. For our family of five, the 2 queen beds and the bunk beds were PERFECT. We noticed a ton of kids in the pool area, so it must have been nice but we didn't go tbh. The walking commute from the hotel was safe at anytime of day or night. For Disney World families that might read this and wondering how far it is from the hotel to the entry gate of the park...think resort room to your resort bus depot commute at a Disney World Resort. You can leave your room and be in the park in 15 minutes or less on a non-busy day. Much easier and less trouble to get from hotel to inside park gates than at Disney World. I loved this hotel and if we ever go back, this will be our choice to stay again.

Springhill Suites Flagstaff (2 Nights) - Grade B

Everything was pretty good. At check-in I was thanked for being a rewards member and given a bottle of water for every guest in our party..which was 5 bottles of water. That was a first and it was nice. The staff was really helpful in pointing out places to eat. At one point I went to their computer to check emails and didn't even know I had left my wallet on the desk by the computer. I got a call and then they brought it me..so life saver there. The location was near a few good dining spots and a Wal Mart. I did notice on our floor in the hall it looked like some wallpaper was falling off. They had used blue tape to hold it up. Didn't think much of it the 1st day but it was still in the same condition when left that 3rd day. I wondered how long it had been like that - it seemed like an easy enough thing to fix. Overall not bad at all. Also very close to the University of Northern Arizona...like really close .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Denver, Colorado, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Denver Downtown
Flagstaff, Arizona, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Flagstaff
Anaheim, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Anaheim at Disneyland Resort
  • Re: 11States and 4,300 miles in 10 Days
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Very cool.  Nothing like a good old fashioned road trip!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You are a very brave person to pack all that into 10 days and with 5-some!!! 

If I even thought about driving that far I'd slit my wrists vertically.   

benbuck6 Silver

the thought of paying for 5 plane tix across the country and back makes me want to slit mine - lol. We have been taking long road trips for a while, although this one stretched all of us.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great write up benbuck6!  Very thorough!  I have been curious about the Anaheim property and haven't heard to much about it.  You've mentioned it is close to amenities that are outside of the park, do you have any additional recommendations? 

benbuck6 Silver

Sure...1st off you don't have to spend a dime to go to Downtown Disney. There are stores and dining spots there. You simply walk through the security check point to enter the property (Maingate) and left takes you to California Adventure Park and right takes you to Disneyland...both require tickets of course. If you simply go straight you will find yourself in Downtown Disney.

We stopped every morning at McDonalds to eat breakfast on our walk. Its about half-way between the hotel and the park. Just on the short walk from hotel to park you will pass...McDonalds, IHOP, a couple of other dining spots that aren't chain brand, two coffee places (one being in the hotel), a pharmacy, couple of little gift shops. Also, in the area within a 5-10 minute drive are larger places like Cheesecake Factory, Bubba Gump Shrimp, etc. There is a sports bar in Downtown Disney ESPN ZONE. A Target about 10 minutes away.

Immediately outside of the Disney gate there were several homeless people but we never saw any threatening behavior or experienced any. Parking is $20/day and that was a pain to pay but we didn't use our vehicle any.

We also passed the stadium where the Angels play and it was within 15 minutes of drivetime of the hotel as well.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Such great information, thanks a ton, benbuck6!!  I especially like that there is a target close by.  I have been on quite a few trips where I'm making a mad dash to pick up something I've forgotten and I always look for the closet one. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

NNot a lot of great options in Flagstaff when I go I stay at little America

702rugbyref Platinum

Nice trip. Living here in Vegas, I probably should try the Trump property.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...