22 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2016 11:01 AM by iahflyr RSS

Worlds Best Airline 2016 is Emirates

702rugbyref Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Congrats to them. What I find interesting is there is not even one North American Carrier on this list. What are your thoughts? Surprised or not?

Emirates crowned ‘World's Best Airline' for 2016

BEST

1. Emirates

2. Qatar Airways

3. Singapore Airlines

4. Cathay Pacific

5. ANA All Nippon Airways

6. Etihad Airways

7. Turkish Airlines

8. EVA Air

9. Qantas Airways

10. Lufthansa

World's Best Low-Cost Airlines

1. AirAsia
2. Virgin America
3. Norwegian
4. easyJet
5. Jetstar Airways
6. AirAsiaX
7. WestJet
8. Indigo
9. Jetstar Asia
10. Azul Airlines

World's Best "Long Haul" Low-Cost Airlines

1. Norwegian
2. Jetstar Airways
3. AirAsiaX
4. Scoot
5. WOW Air

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Germany
  • Re: Worlds Best Airline 2016 is Emirates
    702rugbyref Platinum

Maybe a poll should start on North American Airlines only...that way we can make sure a couple make the top 5 :-)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Nice to see that Southwest didn't make the list of Low Cost Airlines as they are pretty much high fares in the last few years. 

702rugbyref Platinum

Ever since the AirTran merger, their rates have been as high as the major carriers and one of the big reasons I switched to USAirways in circa 2007.

702rugbyref Platinum

I thought this post would get more attention...hmmm...

mrbmbrown Platinum

I am not even a little bit surprised that no North American carrier made the list... have you flown any this year?

702rugbyref I agree, SWA has been quite pricey lately. I have flown them a couple of times this year, but only when I can get a decent nonstop.

Also, I find that these types of surveys for "best" of anything are only really good for the "eye of the beholder." Typically US carriers (who by the way have an entirely different markets to serve than most of the airlines on the list) focus on cost and sacrifice service.

Another interesting thought process, what is the "largest" airline in the world..... note, it is a trick question!

702rugbyref Platinum

I am an American Airlines loyal flyer...74 flights this year and 68 upgrades including 3 to Asia and my wife upgraded as well to/from Shanghai so I cannot complain although my recent flight in first class was not what it should have been. They lacked interest in serving and as I told my wife, it was very obvious.

mrbmbrown Platinum

702rugbyref I too am loyal (ish) to AA. I am AA EP (already flown 114,258 miles this year and re-qualified for EP next year). I have not flown in coach (unless it wasn't offered on the plane) this year. I find that the FA's are often not the best on some of the flights lately. I think too many mergers have disheartened some of the long-time FA's. Sad.

On a side note, I am Platinum on DL (82,079 miles so far this year), and Gold on United (13,615 miles so far this year).

And I have flown all 3 major US carriers in Business this year - none of them compare to any EU carrier.

702rugbyref Platinum

You travel way more than I want to. My goal is to use my SW Upgrades (7 of them) by the expiration Feb 17 to Chile/Brazil and maybe UK but they will all be short trips.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Good luck! I use my SWUs for my wife - though I do have 4 from last year (plus the 4 from this year (2018) left to use - better get on the stick). Though I was not happy with the downgrade and dropping from 8 to 4 for 2017. Though I will pick up 2 more when I hit 150K later this year.

702rugbyref Platinum

I can't wait to experience Emirates and Qatar. I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE Cathay pacific and Singapore is up there as well although I am OneWorld.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Okay, I'll chime in.  Most of the airlines on the World's Best Airlines list are generally well-known to be the best in the industry.  To me, it is not in the least interesting or surprising that none of the U.S. based carriers are on the list.  Their products and services pale in comparison and by all accounts.  I have been very happy with AA's newest business class product on their 777-300ER and their Dreamliner, but apparently the other airlines are much better, consistently across their entire fleet.  At present, I can't fly a 77W or 788 to Paris from the left coast.  If I want the good seats on the good planes, I have to fly through LHR.  Again using AA as an example, they currently have huge inconsistencies in their fleet with regards to their bus/first class products.  Until they can bring their bus/first products up to the same level across ALL of their aircrafts on international flights, they will continue to lag against the foreign based airlines.  Same with their main cabin extra product.  They are still flying aircrafts across the pond with NO main cabin extra seats.  Inconceivable.  This also holds true with regards to their airport lounges and in-flight meals.  Until ALL of these lounges get the upgrades and refurbishments that AA is promising, along with the new, improved in-flight meals, along with still flying older planes with older cabin configs, the airline will continue to miss the mark against it's international competitors.  To their credit, they are working to up their game, but are still behind the big players on the top list.  Not trying to pick on AA, they are just the U.S. based airline that I am most familiar with (for international flying).

As far as the other two lists, I've never flown any of the airlines, so have no opinion, except that I have considered Norwegian.

mrbmbrown Platinum

pluto77 you are right on AA. I flew them in C from MAD-EZE via DFW in an old config plane. Really hit or miss there.

On UA, I find the 787 to be less than thrilling - there is no real benefit and they still use the idiotic 2-1-2 configuration that is horrid. Seriously on a long-haul catch up and put aisle access for everyone.

On the Current trip I am on the miserable configured DL 767 in C. Horrible configuaration with the alternating pods. Not even wide enough to sleep other than no your side (unless you don't have shoulders).

Next month I fly AF in C CDG-ATL, but those planes are still angle-flat not lie flat configuration, so not great again.

I know all of this is C compared to Y - so I am really complaining about nonsense. But if you spend the $ for a seat in C it would be nice if the seat was nice.

My favorite so far (and I have not had the fortune to fly any of the Middle East carriers) is OS. their cafe in the sky is awesome!

Agreed.  If I am paying $1600 to fly C on DY internationally, then I can't really complain about an angled lie-flat.  Otherwise, and absent any profitable loyalty scheme for the leisure traveler, there's lots of international competition out there.

mrbmbrown Platinum

yea, and that doesn't even count the low-cost international carriers, like Norwegian for example...

mrbmbrown,

You may not like this, but I'm tossing the famous flag on your statement "I find the 787 to be less than thrilling - there is no real benefit".  It is clear that you either do not care about the greater passenger comforts that the B788 and B789 provide above and beyond the other commercial aircraft flying today or just don't care for UA.  I'd much rather have the lower cabin pressure, less noise, larger windows, friendly lighting, more comfortable ride during turbulence and advancements on the flight deck than worry about if I have an aisle seat or not.  If you want an aisle seat then book it.

Boeing’s 787 Is as Innovative Inside as Outside | WIRED

What's so special about the Boeing 787 Dreamliner? | CNN Travel

Boeing 787 Dreamliner | Qantas

Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner - Aerospace Technology

And many more.

Also, your point about UA seating configuration being "idiotic", in actuality UA B788/9 Business Class seating is 2X2X2. 

Respectfully and sorry to call you out on this, but the facts are the facts.

mrbmbrown Platinum

IAHFLYR wrote:

mrbmbrown,

You may not like this, but I'm tossing the famous flag on your statement "I find the 787 to be less than thrilling - there is no real benefit".  It is clear that you either do not care about the greater passenger comforts that the B788 and B789 provide above and beyond the other commercial aircraft flying today or just don't care for UA.  I'd much rather have the lower cabin pressure, less noise, larger windows, friendly lighting, more comfortable ride during turbulence and advancements on the flight deck than worry about if I have an aisle seat or not.  If you want an aisle seat then book it.

Boeing’s 787 Is as Innovative Inside as Outside | WIRED

What's so special about the Boeing 787 Dreamliner? | CNN Travel

Boeing 787 Dreamliner | Qantas

Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner - Aerospace Technology

And many more.

Also, your point about UA seating configuration being "idiotic", in actuality UA B788/9 Business Class seating is 2X2X2.

Respectfully and sorry to call you out on this, but the facts are the facts.

Throw away IAHFLYR - it is all just opinion anyway. I actually got to see these being built at Boeing a few years ago and sat in the cockpit tester and even got to participate in the "selection" process for some configurations as a test run for some other NASA employees at the time. It was fun. And while I too read all the hype about lower cabin pressures being better for "jet lag" etc. I found the actual impact the few times I have flown it underwhelming. All the reading and hype did not translate to reality for me. I did like the bigger windows, but they are dark during the flight most of the time as folks want to watch video on those long-hauls or they are dark for sleeping - so really did not get to appreciate them. In addition on 2 of the 5 flights I have taken the "mechanism" for darkening the windows was malfunctioning.

To be precise though what I said was I disliked United's take on the 787 (or -8 or -9 if you are so inclined) as I was using the 787 moniker to mean the "Dreamliner" configuration. And you are correct my "fat fingers" did say 2-1-2 instead of 2-2-2 but it doesn't change the lack of aisle access. And I do book aisles. However, that simply means I am putting my seat out of recline several times during the flight to let someone out - or making them crawl over me. For a several thousand dollar ticket - I find that configuration idiotic when compared to EU carriers, which was the entire point of the post and discussion above anyway.

So, I appreciate your perspective, but yours and mine differ and they are simply that... perspectives.

Thanks for sharing yours. Oh, and by the way... don't worry about feeling like you "called" me out on something. You didn't - not really. As I said, these are all just perspectives and opinions - and I have a sneaky suspicion you weren't really all that sorry...

Location Brand Hotel
          Germany

mrbmbrown,

I am so very glad you have all the background knowledge of the Boeing factory and ya know what, I also watched them being built as a friend of mine was in the Co-Pilot of the first Dreamliner flight as he is a Boeing Test Pilot.  And having flown the Continental Sim (remember they ordered them before the merger) with two landing of the B788 I will tell you it was like flying a C172 compared to the MD82, B722, B739 and B752 sims I also have time in.

Now for the ride.  The times we've flown in the airplane it did make a difference, "underwhelmed" or not as to the lower cabin pressure.  Oh, the window shades were not controlled by the Flight Attendants rather by the passengers so you could control the level of light being let into the cabin which was very nice while not disturbing others around you. 

You may find a certain seat configuration "idotic", but when I am on a flight with my Wife I would much prefer to sit next to her as opposed to having her across an aisle or in front/behind of.  But as you mentioned, it is all perspective and ours do differ.

When I call you out you'll know it, and yes I actually was sorry.

mrbmbrown Platinum

IAHFLYR

Thanks for your perspective on the sims and flights. Since I am not a pilot, I can't comment at all on what it is like to fly or land one. But from everything Boeing told us, much of the improvements were designed to make them more fuel efficient and more friendly to fly. So I can only assume you are right there.

As for the window shades, I re-read my post and I am not sure where you picked up that I said the shades were controlled by the FAs. They weren't - to my knowledge I have never been on a flight were the passenger in the window did not control their own shade. What I said was that most of them were dark for the ride. And yes, the FAs did make announcements about darkening the shades to make the video easier to watch for other passengers, so - most folks did. Sorry if my post was confusing in some way.

I will say this, I fly some (a lot is a strange term as it is only a lot from anyones point of view and to some I don't fly at all, to others, I fly a ton) and I am not particularly loyal across any brand. I used to be a NWA elite member and loyal. After the DL purchase, I moved to CO, then after the UA purchase I stayed with UA for awhile. Now, I just fly whatever makes sense. And the reason these comment posts are so great is that everyone has a different POV.

From your comments about sitting next to your wife, I agree. If I was traveling with my spouse it would be nice to have her right next to me. However, 98% of my flying (or more) is alone for business purposes. And in those instances, I find the configuration not conducive to a productive flight (either for work or sleep). If I flew more with my wife, might be a different story for me. And for those times that we are lucky enough to be traveling togetiher, I do seek out a configuration that makes sense, though we both like aisles, so we typically fly on planes with either 2-2-2 or 1-2-1 configurations and sit in the middle.. Either way, to each their own.

Thanks again for the engaging discussion.

For reference and so you can put "some" flying into perspective:

Current 2016 Status

AA - Ex Plat

DL - Plat

UA - Gold

AS - MVP75

Current 2017 Status

AA - Ex Plat

DL - Plat

UA - Silver

AS - MVP Gold

So, as I said, more than some but not nearly as much time in the air as others.

My comment regarding the Flight Attendants being able to control the window dimming or not did not come your what you wrote, but from being a passenger where they have done such. 

You do fly often is would seem, thankfully my numerous days of gaining status has passed long ago and I'm lucky enough to have a Lifetime status.

To add to my comments, with the big 3 U.S. based airlines shifting towards a revenue based loyalty scheme, loyalty will mean less and less to the international leisure (non-business, non-frequent) flyer, in which case, loyalty being removed from the equation, I will fly with the best airline that I can find, one with the best planes, the best seats and cabin configs, the best routes and timetables and the best service, in order to add value to my travel experience.  The last way that I want to start or end an international vacation is by spending a miserable 10-15 hours on a dated airplane.  With no loyalty to sway me, I'm going for the best in-flight experience that my budget will support. 

mrbmbrown Platinum

Amen! Could not have said it better myself! I told my wife that two years ago when DL switched. If the company isn't paying for it and determining which airline you have to use... buy the seat you want!

Location Brand Hotel
      Germany

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...