25 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2016 5:17 AM by mrbmbrown RSS

2016 Summer Promotion - Do you Prefer Nights or Stay Promotions?

mrbmbrown Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am interested in taking a poll.

Do you prefer promotions that provide:

1. Bonus Points
  2. Bonus Nights
  3. Both

Do you prefer promotions that require:

1. Number of Stays
  2. Number of Nights
  3. Both

Thanks for participating.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 2016 Summer Promotion - Do you Prefer Nights or Stay Promotions?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I prefer bonus points and number of nights.  I can never meet the MegaBonus because my travel schedule is about 90% controlled by my work trips.  So I like the little ones like 2000 bonus points after each paid stay for a period of time (which is how I got 6000 bonus points this spring).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Bonus nights as I have a lot of built up points. Stays also as I tend to stay only one night per hotel

702rugbyref Platinum

Bonus points as I already got 115 nights this year and working towards my lifetime status.

mrbmbrown Platinum

115 so far, nice. I assume some must be carry over from last year and some from MCC?

702rugbyref Platinum

I carried 26 ...Just a road warrior this year. I will go over 150 nights. I do enjoy the bonus nights for sure but would prefer the points to get me lifetime status sooner as apparently the nights will not be the issue.

mrbmbrown Platinum

I hear ya. Well, you got me by one night so far this year. But mine is picking up... at the pace I expect to be on for the rest of the year I will easily beat last years total, topping 225 or so this year.

702rugbyref Platinum

I plan to taper back hopefully and stay on a cruise ship and visit family which will save 14+ nights. My account updated this morning and now 130 nights. It was a nice trip to China last week for sure.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Very nice. My trip this week has not posted yet. Though I am mixing in a lot of Hyatt this year. I requalify for Diamond at Hyatt by the end of the month and since I already have LT Plat, I don't focus on Marriott too much - unless I love the property or the location. SPG - only Gold this year, random nights at Best Western and Drury for some Board visits. I am kind of all over the map this year - well the past 3 really.

702rugbyref Platinum

I did the Status match with Hilton. I think I will focus the rest of my year on maintaining that as I have have SCORED some huge upgrades with them.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Did they give you a match to Diamond? J/C if so, could you DM me the details?

702rugbyref Platinum

Yes. They offered it back in December. I watch/read the Points Guy for those kind of offers. Maybe go to his website and search Hilton Status Match to see if there is anything current. I was upgraded to the Ambassador Suite in Xi'an China 2 weeks ago..unbelievable upgrade and I had prepaid the room for 2 nights months earlier on Hilton 30% off spring sale for an out the door $162/nt including 2 breakfast buffets for both my wife and I so in reality I scored the Ambassador suite for $100/nt

dshan Gold

Both points and nights and number of nights for me as I usually stay long periods for each stay

nationwide Platinum

Good question.  I prefer bonus points as they afford me the most flexibility in choosing when and where I would like to spend them.  As to qualifying, I would prefer number of stays, as my trips tend to be short one to two nights at a time and they pile up. 

peymanagement Platinum

I like the mix that we have had so far this year, The summer bonus works well for me because I am having a few one night stays. Last fall mega bonus worked well for me because I had two week long stays in the period. I think that Marriott has done a reasonable compromise so that leisure travellers have at least a chance at getting something out of the bonus

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I prefer to receive nights.  Over the past 2 years, I have averaged about 4 nights per stay.

I prefer to receive points since they provide maximum flexibility in use.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I prefer a mega bonus promotion where I have at least a chance to earn something, as opposed to absolutely nothing, which is what I earned this past spring, despite my stays.  Being repeatedly offered a bonus promotion, whose single threshold is such that I have no chance of meeting, is a bit annoying.

I am thankful for the summer bonus promotion, where I can at least earn something on an incremental basis.  Marriott, please keep the incrementally based bonus promotions coming.

As far as preferring offers that are based on nights or stays, I'll have to go with stays, but only since those are the ones that usually have incremental thresholds, where as the offers that specify nights usually consist of one grandiose threshold that must be met, and generally easy for business travelers, leisure travelers, not so much.

As far as earning bonus points or bonus nights (and by bonus nights, do you mean the certificates?), again, I'll have to go with bonus points, since I'm one of the unfortunate folks who have a difficult time finding a use for the cat. 5 certs (based on where I live, where I travel and my calendar), despite, the considerable effort I always put into the research of trying.

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

I prefer Bonus points as it helps me towards Lifetime Platinum Status and Night by night stay credit.

mustanggt Platinum

I prefer nights and bonus points.

mojo1992 Platinum

Bonus Nights

Number of nights vs stays.

Whats up with only 10K points promotion?  You can't stay one night anywhere for 10K points?

702rugbyref Platinum

Just booked a 3 day trip to Auckland in January for $740 and Sydney in Nov for $740 (last of the mileage runs before the $$ spent kicks in with AA.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Yea. I don't mileage run anymore. I ran to 1K a few years ago when I was working for the government and not traveling as much. But now, when you are on a plane as much as I am, the last thing I want to do is fly when I don't have to. I even have a trip planned to Alaska on AS in a few weeks (oh yea, I have MVP75 status with them as well) and am thinking about cancelling the fully refundable trip as I just don't feel like getting on a plane and sleeping in a hotel for vacation. Think I want to be home! Sorry Marriott!

mrbmbrown Platinum

Mileage Running! I remember those days!