5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2016 7:40 PM by mshongo RSS

Hotel Review – Brown Palace Hotel and Spa (Denver, CO) Autograph Collection

nationwide Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hotel Review – Brown Palace Hotel and Spa (Denver, CO)

Built in the 1890’s, the hotel has significant character, with hard wood on the walls, check-in desks, sophisticated accents, classically uniformed bellhops, an old-school logo affixed prominently to elevators and elsewhere, a really nice restaurant and a terrific cigar lounge (in the hotel). 

Here are a few highlights from my quick stay:

Pros

The valet was congenial and helpful as I pulled up.  We quickly connected as Texans (my adopted home state now) in Denver, and shared our concerns about the world given the events this week in Dallas.  It’s always nice to know others are worried about what’s going on around us.

Warm, courteous and professional welcome by the front desk staff.  Kaleigh, if I recall her name correctly, made me feel right at home with a quick rundown of the hotel.

There is no concierge lounge, as with most (all?) Autograph Collection Hotels.  In lieu of the lounge, you receive a $16 credit for breakfast in the restaurant, or they will give you extra points in the event you opt not to use it.  (I will be anxious to see those points show up, as I had an early morning departure, and breakfast started at 7 on Saturday AM.)

The room itself was very nicely appointed (see pictures below).   Real marble floors in the bathroom, upgraded carpets and drapery, and a very nice desk. I can’t recall the last time I used a robe in the room, but these looked really nice, so I opted to use one after my shower as I retired for the evening. The in room coffee maker is a Keurig, with a selection of coffees and teas.  I enjoy a hot tea each morning, so this was a delightful surprise.

Brown Palace Hotel and Spa Room.jpg

Brown Palace Hotel and Spa Bath.jpg

Price – at $200 for a Friday night stay, it was worth the rate and then some.  It’s a downtown hotel, in a district with a number of competitors.  I was happy to pay a little more than my customary FS Marriott or Courtyard, and felt I got a lot more in exchange.

Cigar Lounge – the service from Abraham was impeccable!  He quickly greeted me, secured my drink order, and went to the humidor for my cigar. I ordered a Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro, one of my favorite sticks, and was excited they had it in their selection.  Regrettably, the cigar cracked a few minutes in, rendering it unsmokable.  Abraham was quick to remedy the situation by offering an apology, securing a comparable 1926 Padron, punching, lighting and getting me up and going again.  Jodi was behind the bar, very pleasant to the patrons, and mixed a good Old Fashioned for me after I finished my Glenmorangie 18 year.

Cons

Valet parking price is a little excessive at $45 for the day.  As a platinum member (recently lifetime), I think this is a benefit Marriott should strongly consider.  If not complimentary, a deeply discounted parking rate for your platinum members would be a huge perk.  I always tip coming and going, so this parking cost me $55 for less than 12 hours… I felt a little fleeced on this piece.

Conclusion

I’ll visit this gem of a hotel again the next time I am in Denver on business or pleasure.  If you get the chance, I encourage you to make a stop here.

• Re: Hotel Review – Brown Palace Hotel and Spa (Denver, CO) Autograph Collection
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

The Brown hotel is wonderful. At Cristmas they alternate the chandeliers  green and red  ( it's been a while so I think these are the colors ) But what the best is to look down in the afternoon and see the dads dressed up with their little daughters for the afternoon tea

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hotel Review – Brown Palace Hotel and Spa (Denver, CO) Autograph Collection
      nationwide Platinum

A quick follow up note to this review.... the 750 points for foregoing breakfast did not show up.  While the points for the stay showed up very quickly, and I am appreciative, I will have to follow up with the hotel this week. 

I find point-chasing ponderous.  From skipping housekeeping or breakfast, to a platinum arrival gift, these interactions are opportunities for Marriott to execute well and reinforce our loyalty, or to take away from it.  When we have to expend extra energy to get what we earned, the experience chips away at our loyalty.  The more variables Marriott puts into the service equation, the more complex execution is going to be... systems and processes need to be improved, or all the enhancements to Marriott Rewards will lead to unintended consequences.  Come on Marriott, you are better than this.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

nationwide, Thank you for the review.  I have an office in Denver and have always wanted to try the Brown Palace.  I usually stay at the RC which is fantastic and often not nearly as expensive as RCs in other parts of the country.  But my friends and colleagues in Denver seem to have a lot of affection for the Brown Palace - I guess it's a local institution, being historical, etc.

BTW, Hotel Minneapolis is an Autograph Collection and has a CL.  Same with Mayflower in DC.  But a lot (most) do not have CLs as you mentioned.

mshongo Gold

I second your comments. After spending a night at the Denver Marriott Tech Center ( ON WEED DAY), I definitely needed the Brown Palace Hotel, too get the bad taste out of my mouth.It's a fantastic classic hotel.
    While I have a small issue getting in and out of the shower, my overall experience was FANTASTIC!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...