4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2016 8:09 AM by superchief1 RSS

Marriott Sand Key - Advice Needed

ck123 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Made reservations to stay there next week.  Extremely nervous about the property based on reviews I have read.  That it is mildewy, old, in need of updates and service for elite members are sub par.  Can anyone who has stayed there recently provide their input?  Also do you know if member benefits apply at the property for elite members?  That is in absence of a concierge lounge, complimentary breakfast.......etc?  Thanks!

If there is an alternate beach front property that is better around the Clearwater/Tampa/St Pete area, please recommend!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Clearwater Beach, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
  • Re: Marriott Sand Key - Advice Needed
    superchief1 Platinum

I stayed there 3 years ago and enjoyed my stay. It is an older hotel, but all rooms are suites with small sitting areas including sofa, refrigerator and microwave. As a platinum, I got a room on the top floor with a nice view of the bay. I din't notice any mildew smell and room was clean. Keep in mind that Florida is very humid so there is often mildew 'odor' everywhere you go. As a platinum, I received daily complimentary continental breakfast buffet in the restaurant, which could be upgraded to full buffet for about $5 per person at that time. The beach is across the street with a free shuttle from the hotel. There are several restaurants in the area and it isn't too congested.

The only other beachfront property I'm aware of (in Marriott) is the Residence Inn Treasure Island. Although it is a nice property right on the beach, they are notorious for not providing any platinum benefits or upgrades, and rates are typically comparable to full service hotels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I agree with superchief1 100% on everything.  We had a great stay.  Spouse and I and our kids all got breakfast vouchers, and the kids got coupons for a free ice cream while the adults got coupons for a free drink at the bar.  We also had the option to upgrade to the hot buffet for $5 which we took advantage of, although the continental breakfast would have been fine by itself.  We ate at the onsite steakhouse and enjoyed it, and we also ate next door at the Columbia which is a Tampa-area institution (the original is in Ybor City).  The Clearwater trolley stops there and will take you up and down the strip for $4 (I think that was the price).  We received wonderful service - Mikel at the front desk was fantastic.  There is a kids club and a nice pool area.  We would stay there again.  The property is a bit older and maybe needs some updating but it's not bad.  And the beach is across the street which is a bit of an inconvenience, but it is a nice, natural park with birding and walking trails so not congested at all.  The RI Treasure Island is very expensive and not full service, so I've not tried it. 

ck123 Platinum

THanks to both of you for your feedback.

superchief1 Platinum

I also suggest calling in advance to request a room on a high floor with a bay view.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...