57 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2017 1:06 PM by monisame RSS

As a gold or a Platinum member, do u get all benefits?

alammari Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Do all of you receive your benefits when staying at a  Marriott property?

Several times I stayed at a  Marriott property and don't receive my Gold benefits, I was in Stockholm 2 Months ago and stayed at Courtyard Marriott hotel, and I was not offered any breakfast nor an upgrade(hotel seemed empty but I could have been wrong) I was also in in London few months ago and did not get lounge access at St. Pancras Renaissance.

and just last night I stayed in AC Marriott Pisa in Italy, I was informed by the lobby that the breakfast was from 6 till 11 and I assumed as I usually get free breakfast that I is going to be free, but it wasn't I was charged for it while checking out and the man at the front desk told me its not included even if I am a gold member, so no breakfast no upgrade and I wasn't even offered the internet password! why I stayed at this hotel I have no idea!

and does anyone get the enhance internet ? I for one had never! I am writing this post while I am staying at Monaco Marriott and did not receive the enhance internet, unless I misunderstood the gentlemen (At least I was upgraded to a sea view)

With Hilton Gold, I got free breakfast in all hotels and most other benefits, makes me doubt my benefits with Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Stockholm Monaco London Pisa Italy
  • Re: As a gold or a Platinum member, do u get all benefits?
    Jsucool76 Gold

Courtyard doesn't offer free breakfast to elite members. Any that do are exceptions, rather than the rule. Free breakfast/lounge access is offered at NON-resort Marriott, JW Marriott, Rennaissance and Autograph Collection hotels only.

As far as the St. Pancras Rennaissance, they don't have an "executive/concierge lounge." They have what they call the chambers lounge. it appears platinum members get free access, whereas gold members only get access if they are staying in a "chambers" room. However, free breakfast should have been offered in the restaurant. (this is according to FT, i have no personal experience at this particular hotel).

As far as enhanced internet, when you login and go to through the process of setting up your device, simply select the "enhanced wifi" option. It will look like you're going to get charged, but the charge will not appear on your bill, and if it does simply stop at the front desk and have them remove it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

alammari Platinum

Then I believe its the same with AC Marriott, they probably don't offer breakfast to members.

Thanks for the infos

702rugbyref Platinum

Usually they offer 2 types of internet unless a hotel has all the same and then you don't need a password usually.

Other benefits I usually get such as arrival gift/points but I don't usually eat their continental breakfasts so I cannot answer that part.

j&c Platinum

We have not had any trouble registering for free enhanced internet while traveling in the US since becoming Gold. We have received breakfast in Concierge Lounge, M Club or hotel dining room in all non-resort properties we've stayed at. On occasion, we have had to ask if breakfast is included on weekend/holiday stays for 'how-to" confirmation. Often coupons are given with specifics about what is included - cold vs hot buffet or anything on the menu. We have paid extra for hot buffet. Most of the coupons indicate that gratuity is included in the "free breakfast" but we have learned that the compensation is often less than 20%, so we usually tip waitstaff. We have infrequently been given/offered coupons for "appetizer" at properties where concierge lounge is closed in the evening, in addition to points for arrival gift. J&C

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

OH dear, lots of problems here:

1. Free breakfast is only a benefit at full service hotels (Marriott, Autograph, JW & Renaissance). Courtyards aren't full service so no free breakfasts for Gold there.

2. The Renaissance St. Pancras is unique in Marriott-dom, as its lounge is classified as a members club and only Plats get visitors status, so no entry there though you do get full breakfast in the restaurant and drinks vouchers for the bar.

3. Free breakfast is only a benefit at full service hotels (Marriott, Autograph, JW & Renaissance). AC aren't full service so no free breakfasts for Gold there either.

As a matter of interest breakfast is included in the rate to all guests at Residence Inn, Springhill Suites and Fairfield Inn and a benefot to all Golds or above at Marriott, Autograph JW and Renaissance meaning AC and Courtyards are the 2  most numerous gaps in the free breakfast benefit, though Protea, Moxy and anything christened a resort also miss out on the free breakfasts.

Marriott does have gaps in its scheme, you've found 2 of the biggest (AC & CY) and 1 of the smallest (St Pancras - a real one-off)

As for the High Speed internet I always get offered it and am using it right now at the Montreal Marriott to upload this reply!

alammari Platinum

Thank u for the effort of giving me all those infos, i didn't know about the Courtyard not offering the breakfast, I kinda like Courtyard specially the one in Munich, I actually don't always use my free breakfast but that becomes important when I travel with my parents or some of my friends, AC was new for me, breakfast was charged ( I was traveling with a friend) and  internet details& password were not provided, when I called at night to get the password no one answered so I just went to bed as I was exhausted and took a long flight.

correcton on my post there I think I did get my enhanced internet (Monaco Marriott Rivira is my current location)since there is only one option but the enhance is not really that enhanced since its a bit slow

Marriott Porte Monaco is one of my favourites, benefits are good too, they really do upgrade if they have the space and I do hope you scored a Marina view room. Full breakfast is free and lovely taken al-fresco overlooking the Marina. And when I went it also provided a daily replenished (with a couple of cans of beer, Pepsi and a couple of waters, plus some nuts) minibar for Golds and above. Nice walk into the millionaires playground that is Monaco. Enjoy!

alammari Platinum

Yes I got the Marina view and wow what a view it was, the breakfast was great, didn't have to eat again until late that day,unfortunatley no daily replenished as far as I know.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If you read the terms of Marriott Rewards, you will find that the free breakfast, you find that AC is not covered.

"Daily continental breakfast, light snacks and beverages for members and one guest in the Executive Lounge at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® and Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, (resorts excluded)"

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

Upgrade is virtually non-existent in Marriott - stayed in 6 hotels 1 night each I only got upgraded once. In Asia they said suite upgrade for Plat if you stay less than 3 nights - that's a joke. Never got a real suite - had to argue my way like hell for CY Hong Kong Sha Tin got a studio for 2 nights stay.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Still believe it is one level upgrade which could be a view vs suite . Maybe we expect more than Marriott provides

mrbmbrown Platinum

jerryl you are right about that. Suites are specifically excluded from upgrades (though I have been known to get one or two now and then).

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

Not when you are Asia Pacific. Plat gets Suite upgrade for stays less than 3 nights - a lot of hotels use the "we are sold" BS to not honour it. My room at CY Sha Tin was facing the Suites and very few of them looked occupied (no light whatsoever). I just hate hotels lying about various BS, such as "In your profile you have select points as your PAG so we automatically give you points", or "we are sold". If they don't want to honour any of these craps, tell Marriott they don't want to "participate" or tell me that they don't want to honour since they only want to upsell the suites. To me whether they lie or not it makes no difference to me because I know what's in their mind, and I don't want to patronize these hotels again.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Good for you, but that is not a benefit of the program. I too get upgrades not in North America on a regular basis. Am sitting in a suite now in Germany. However, this is not an official offering of the program. Many of us hope that it will be as we migrate toward a shared SPG/MR program. But for now, upgrades to suites are usually offered overseas as they don't sell and you don't run into nearly as many LPlats, PP and Plats. So if you get them, great.

702rugbyref Platinum

I was upgraded in Sha Tin CY as well back in April.

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

They always upgrade platinum to river view room (executive rooms) and nothing more - was told by the staff that they can't just upgrade anyone to suite because the GM wants to front desk to upsell. I stayed in their suite once during the last night of our stay (after smelling cigarette in 3 rooms, and we moved 3 times during our 1 week stay) and that is.

702rugbyref Platinum

Luckily I never smelled the cigs. I had a river and racetrack view but the room was above CY standards (at least in America). I am planning to return , a little out of the way but the shuttle service helps a bit for Kowloon. Killed the steak challenge in the restaurant as well.

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

Cigs smell is common in HK hotels - I tried both the CY on HK Island and this one. They don't have 100% non-smoking hotels like the US due to their main customer being mainlanders.

The room was nice - but try go there when it's cold. First time we were in February a couple of years ago there the room they gave us had no heat! NO HEAT! And it was only 11 degree Celsius. I was frozen the first night, and then complained - they found us a room with heat (not all the rooms have heat). I told them that I don't care about the stupid river view because I grew up in Sha Tin and seeing that daily for a lot of years.

We were there last March. and May and the hotel was converting some suites on the top floor to bar and restaurant (they followed the Crowne Plaza in Kowloon East), we ate breakfast at the restaurant, wow it was a lot better than the lounge. The hotel used to allow lounge guests to have breakfast in either the restaurant or the lounge. I skipped the lounge breakfast as there are much better food outside.

Then on our last stay - this March - the lounge food has changed to worse, not sure the F&B manager is still the same but only 1 lounge staff I know is still there (they were looking for a director of rooms - vacant for a while). We skipped the lounge altogether as it's waste of time.

The shuttle service used to be better too - now they go straight to TST but with less interval which add on the transportation cost if you don't use the shuttle.

Hilton is opening a HGI in Mong Kok this year and priced at 20k HH points - the location of the HGI is much better. Food/shopping right outside the hotel.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sorry to hear about these inconvenience to you during your stays. We appreciate you sharing your feedback. If you'd like to send me a direct message with any of these reservation numbers, we'd love to share your input with our team.

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your reply! This is not even the worst stay I had, try to read my thread: The worst RI I have stayed at - Tysons Corner Mall. That one was really bad and I gave my info to your colleague and so far I got no reply from anyone. So what's the points in sending you a DM if I got no help anyway?

This hotel at least offered me Platinum Arrival Gift, and my kids weren't injured when they were swimming in the pool, and they don't pack up breakfast 30 minutes before so we got no milk 15 minutes before the breakfast finished etc. - so take care of that problem please!

702rugbyref Platinum

I will look into the Hilton in Mon Kok. I have been really impressed with their upgrades an treatments over the past 6 months as a Diamond member they make you feel special.

I never had the negative experience that you did. I agree the shuttle could have mroe frequency and maybe later hours (even earlier since I think the earliest is 0900hrs) which I have learned parallels when most folks get going in HK, even though I am an early riser for sure.

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

I was impressed by Hilton - I got the Gold Challenge last year and tried 3 hotels in the UK. Wow, they were good compared to Holiday Inn Express. Then they matched me to Diamond and wow tried Conrad Macau - the service was amazing compared to JW Macau. Impressed by the new Hilton in Hamburg and stayed there - what a nice change from the full service Marriotts there - that hotel is better than the Renaissance. Got a very nice upgrade as Diamond (vs. the Marriott 1 Cat. upgrade) and with welcome gift and great amenities.

702rugbyref Platinum

I was recently upgraded to the Ambassador Suite at Xi'an Hilton and that was a huge WOW! Luckily I had my wife with me to truly impress her with the free food/drinks and welcome appreciation gifts in addition to the $1000+/nt room.

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

If you pay the Courtyard $1000 I'm sure they will give them the largest suite and tons of welcome gifts plus whatever you can eat in their MoMo cafe too

To some extent I think what upgrade you get depending the rate you paid - it's my impression because when I ask for upgrade the front desk usually take a deep look at the computer - not that they are in doubt with my status but I think it's more the rate I paid. It makes perfect sense from hotels' point of view.

mojo1992 Platinum

Good to know because I'm heading to Asia Pac in a couple of days

ohmark Platinum

Munich Courtyards actually comp breakfasts for plats.  Not sure about golds.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I usually get upgraded and I get a suite about 1/3 of the time!

Six stays is hardly a statistically valid sampe size.

My last 2 stays are pretty typical of my Marriott experiences.

Marriott Chateau Champlain Montreal... Upgraded from a standard to a view room. Access to lounge and free breakfast in its place at weekends. Offered a late checkout when I checked in but I replied I didn't need it as I was taking a train at 12:30, "well if you find its running late, just tell us" came the helpful response.

DElta Quebec... Upgraded from a standard room to concierge floor and lounge access. Advised they'd activated my key till 4pm on departure day just in case I needed it.

mrbmbrown Platinum

I am in Montreal ALL the time. I stay at the Chateau Champlain when I can't get into the Intercontinental or the Hyatt. Nice property, but the Valet service leaves a lot to be desired.

wolverine66 Gold

Yeah, I find some inconsistencies from brand to brand and find it annoying that AC, Autograph and Resorts don't include breakfast for Gold. And then the Ghent Marriott has like 3 levels of breakfast. Plate of cold cuts, a couple of mini croissants and a couple of slices of processed cheese is included, but you have to pay for cold or hot buffet. Very annoying. The staff seem unclear about what is or isn't included so maybe better not to ask and take the buffet.

But I won't recommend the Ghent Marriott any more. I stayed there in August 2016 and had them sent an overnight letter for me. The next day I stopped in to get the tracking number and the letter was still sitting in the back office! And in October they billed me €106 for it. Seriously.

nitelite Gold

Am Gold with marriott staying at Ritz Carlton San Juan  I get ZIP, nothing called lady told me we dont honor marriott gold bummed out what a waste of money

ableitpm Platinum

Having been a Platinum for almost a year now, I can speak from experience that I almost never get an upgrade, even when I ask for it.  My stays have included Autograph Collection hotels, J. W. Marriott, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn and Courtyards.   The one exception, last week, was when I stayed at the Residence Inn in Prescott.  The gave me a choice of a one or two bedroom suite upgrade and the choice of view.  That is also when I found out that, as a Platinum, I was entitled to an arrival gift (which I thought was just an extra benefit of staying at this particular hotel - I have never before received a gift).

The Autograph Collection hotels have been particularly frustrating, the two that I've recently stayed in (Phoenix, AZ and Walnut Creek, CA) have both "upgraded" me to a room on the lowest floor directly facing the front road.  In both cases, they claimed it was an upgrade because it was on the side of the hotel that has a view.  Unfortunately, to room was a too low a level to see the view.  Neither of these hotels offered a free breakfast (or even free coffee for that matter).- definitely no value or benefit of being a Marriott Elite member at these hotels.

All the other hotels (except the Prescott Residence Inn mentioned) always claim to have no availability.  I have also found no benefit from checking in early the day before on the app - I still get a room all the way at the end of the hall, on a low floor (in spite of the desire for a high floor in my profile) and/or having no view out the window.

I was recently comparing notes with a fellow traveler about the Platinum benefits against his experience with Hilton Honors and am seriously considering switching.  I was told that Hilton will honor your Platinum status if you transfer.

monisame Platinum

Autograph Hotels always offers me free breakfast. I stopped at two in NYC, two in Rome It,  two in England, and the breakfast was always honored.

mustanggt Platinum

There was no free breakfast at the two Autograph Collection hotels I stayed in recently in Boston and Portland, ME.

wolverine66 Gold

I've been offered a continental breakfast or 750 points -- I never got the 750 points at Dearborn. Ridiculous. And now Marriott terms and conditions say that's what you get at Marriotts, after getting full breakfasts for the past few years.

monisame Platinum

Thanks I will avoid them. Just Planing a stay at the Envoy and at Thte Press .

ableitpm Platinum

Not at the Camby in Phoenix (last week)!

monisame Platinum

See this : It's a fresh perk for Gold and Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards members: Enjoy free continental breakfast for two in the concierge lounge at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance®, Marriott® and Delta Hotels® across the U.S. and Canada* every day, seven days a week. So ????

nitelite Gold

no sure if this applies but some places if company has a contract rate at marriott you dont get squat  this may not be your case but FYI

ableitpm Platinum

The contract rate I use only applies to one Marriott Hotel that I stay at so my comment still applies.  I don't understand, though, what the rate has to do with Platinum benefits - it shouldn't have anything to do with it!

I'm currently staying at a Residence Inn and, when I checked in on Tuesday and asked for an upgrade, I got one of the typical responses:  "We're booked up - sorry!".  Even though I checked in on my app the day before, I wound up on a middle floor, down two hallways facing the street in a regular room.  I did get a free bottle of water, though.

Again:  so much for being Platinum! 

greggism Gold

The benefit of room upgrades is, in my opinion, the best perk for Gold/Platinum membership.  I've written to and spoken with many hotel general managers about it and have been given pretty much the same policy answers - if the hotels have rooms available, they will usually set aside the suites and rooms with preferred views for Elite members.  They are usually given when asked at check-in, unless vacancy is low for that night.  I've received the bi-level/penthouse room at a Residence Inn, a grand suite overlooking Times Square at the NY Marriott Marquis, a 1-bedroom suite at a local Courtyard, and then most of the time, nothing.  I've received upgrades during both paid stays and while using points.  Breakfast varies when the Concierge room is closed for the weekend.  I've received full buffets some places and only continental breakfast with $5 up-charge for the buffet at other places.  There really seems to be no set standard that all hotels follow for breakfasts.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

At the risk of being the contrarian here, I almost always get all the perks that go with being Platinum. I can't remember the last time I didn't get some kind of upgrade, even if it was just a corner room on the top floor. When given the choice between breakfast and 750 points (even at Autograph properties), I've never had a problem with those points posting or getting a voucher for a full breakfast in the restaurant. Once or twice I've had to chase down Platinum arrival gift points, but even that is uncommon.

I don't get upgraded to a suite all that much, but it does happen from time to time. Since becoming Platinum in mid-2014, my experience getting the appropriate perks has been almost perfect. Admittedly, some brands (RC and VC come to mind) offer fewer perks at the Gold level and up than others and some places don't have many suites in which to upgrade us (many CYs fall in this category). I think it helps to know what should be offered, so that on the few occasions when it isn't, I can speak up.

Perhaps I've just been extremely luck these last few years.

mustanggt Platinum

bejacob Well, I hope your good luck continues my friend.  As for me, I can't say I've had the same good luck as you especially with upgrades, even when I ask.  Most of my stays tend to average two days, and I tend to travel during off peak times.  None of that seems to work for me.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Visiting less-traveled places and often staying for only one night is a factor when it comes to upgrades. Likewise, staying on weekend nights at properties that cater to business travelers helps. I prefer to avoid traveling at peak times when possible. Perhaps that's part of the reason for my run of good luck.

monisame Platinum

Some happens to me. Not good luck for me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...