13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2016 3:58 PM by seaport104 RSS

inheriting timeshare? points club?

catinthehat Silver
Currently Being Moderated

My parents would like to sell their two timeshare weeks and sell their Vacation Club Points deed to me. They have three deeds total. My sister and I DO NOT want to inherit these  as we've seen how hard it is to use the points for the places that you want to go to. Trading is okay for the timeshare weeks but not worth it to us. What happens if they can't sell it? Can we refuse it when the estate goes through it's process? I'd be somewhat okay taking the Vacation Club deed but not thrilled by it. Please don't think we're ugly little children waiting for our parent's estate. These are things our parents are trying to figure out, and we're trying to help them, as one of them is getting very near to where he won't be able to make decisions or deal with things anymore. As it is, they can't really travel at all anymore but they keep paying their fees because they can't figure out how to sell. They want the EASIEST way to do it, even if it means losing money.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: inheriting timeshare? points club?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

CatintheHat,

Here is the official Marriott Vacation Club website for Marriott timeshare resales.

Marriott Vacation Club® Timeshare Resales (Official Site)

There are also a number of 3rd party time share resales groups.  Just google 'marriott time share resales'.

I can't imagine your parents not being able to sell their timeshares.  I would think that all it would take is the right price.

I understand your valid concerns, and think your reputation remains intact.  My parents too own Marriott Vacation Club timeshare weeks, and I don't want to inherit them either, but only because inheriting will mean that my parents, who invite us kids to enjoy their timeshare with them every year, will no longer be around to spend time with.  While we absolutely love their vacation club property (they never trade, it's a great property/location), no longer being able to enjoy it with them will be a very difficult adjustment.  Sad to have to think about, but agree that these things have to be addressed, and in accordance with one's preferences.  Hope our collective parents will be around for many years to come!

Best wishes for a smooth sale and hope this helps.  Maybe others with actual experience with the sale of a Marriott timeshare will chime in.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

catinthehat Silver

Thank you for understanding. We don't vacation with them often but it was nice when we did. Reselling the two weeks sounds complicated but I'll look at the site you mentioned. They don't care how much they get, they just want to be done. It's the points club that is perplexing because that is deeded as well.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

CatintheHat,

If you're referring to "Destination Points," I think those are different from trading the deeded weeks, in terms of ease of use.  My parents have both, 2 weeks that are deeded, which as previously mentioned, they never trade, because they love their VC property, and they also purchased destination points (about 3 years ago) on top of the two weeks that they have deeded.  So far, the destination points have been very easy to use.  I don't believe there is any trading involved.  The key is to book using destination points very far in advance, like 9-12 months out, and of course to not let them expire.  My parents are using them this year at Williamsburg and DC (Mayflower property).

Here's the webpage for the Marriott VC Destination Club points.  Also, google 'marriott vacation club destination points' and read what people think about it.  It may help you decide, but remember to fact-check everything that you read.

How Vacation Club Points Work | Marriott Vacation Club

catinthehat Silver

It just says "Vacation Club Points" on his portfolio. I have access to it, so I just looked at what it says. I've seen the deed for it so I know he can't just "quit" the club. And then he has the two actual timeshare weeks at a specific location.

The Williamsburg property, by the way is very nice. We've stayed there.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Agreed they should be able to sell both.  Might also want to check with an attorney.

coupons Gold

Your questions are valid and this is a great place to ask.  You did not mention which TS properties your parents own.  Generally speaking you can get more money on a third party site than what Marriott will offer. You might look at Redweek.com to get an idea of what people are asking.  If you belong to Facebook there are many MVC properties with their own FB page (not the official Marriott sites). Destination Points sell on the secondary market for about $5.00 per point plus the $3000.00 that Marriott must get (hence you would need to sell 1500 pts).  We bought our 2nd MVC in Aruba thru a third party and the cost was about $250.00.  If your Ts properties are in the states lawyers may need ot be involved,  I would be more than happy to answer more questions-not sure how you would get my email address-a moderator should be able to tell us

catinthehat Silver

Dad would rather go through Marriott and get less money if it will be easier. I tend to agree with him, since I'm the one that will be doing the footwork. Can the Destination Points Club only be sold on the secondary market? But it's not just the points that need to be sold, it's the actual membership so that they don't have to keep paying the annual maintenance and club fees. Just for the Vacation Club, they pay almost $1000/year. For their two weeks of an actual place, they pay about $2000/year. The two weeks are in the states and are deeded.

coupons Gold

Hi there in terms of the TS I more than understand your wanting to sell thru Marriott directly making life easier (I know there are numerous FB pages and many people talk about lawyers for the states); in terms of DP you are selling the points not the membership-when you sell the points the person who buys them are then responsible for the maintenance; I do know a couple of people who would possibly be interested in the points (how many are there); if the TS are in popular areas selling them on the secondary market would not be difficult;  I live in NYC I can try to help you I used a woman in Florida when we bought ours in Aruba;she grew up in my neighbor in Queens this is her info

Janet Ammirati
        JRA Services, Inc.
        954-718-7076 Fax 954-718-2464

www.TimeshareResaleClosings.com

JRA Services, Inc.
        P.O. Box 450027
        Sunrise FL 33345-0027

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/JRA-Services-Inc-Timeshare-Resale-Closings/192592334100108

not sure how to provide you with private info to contact me off this site

catinthehat Silver

If you aren't selling the membership, how do you get out of the membership. There is a deed with this membership. I've seen it, so I KNOW there is a deed that goes with it. The base if 1500 points per year. But I'm not the one selling, my dad is. Just gathering information at this point.

coupons Gold

Hi there-when you say membership, are you referring to the DPs? once the points are sold there is no obligation on your parents parent-not sure I have heard the term membership used related to points; with the timeshares once hey are sold, you are relived of all obligations-deed is transferred to new owners; I believe the same to be true for the points deed as well; I will ask a friend who is much more knowledgeable about the DP system

catinthehat Silver

I've never heard them call it Destination Points. On their online vacation club acct, it says "Vacation Club Points". I've seen the deed so if someone takes it over, the deed has to be transferred, they can't keep it in their name. I know they pay both a maintenance fee and club dues for the points each year. Points which are very hard to use. They still have 1500 this year and we can't figure out a way to use them as nothing is available when either my sister or I can travel. And we entered a lot of options! Apparently, it is too late to trade this years for Marriott Reward points, which are so much easier to use. Parents can't travel anymore.

seaport104 Platinum

Some people refer to the Marriott points system as "Destination Points" because in the original rollout in 2010, it was referred to as the Marriott Destinations Exchange Program. In short, destination points are the same thing as vacation club points.

The points are backed by a deed. Once your parents find a buyer, a new deed in the buyer's name will be recorded (in the same manner as the weeks ownership). As for the 1500 points for this year, if you are not going to use them, bank them to next year.

seaport104 Platinum

Marriott can broker your parent's deeded weeks (they don't broker points), the time it will take Marriott to sell your parent's week depends on the week they have for sale. I don't know which property your parents own but for example, right now Marriott is no longer taking listing for Marriott Grand Vista because they have 200+ people on their list to sell. When you call the Marriott resale department, they will tell you if they can broker the sale, there is a waitlist, etc.

Marriott sells the weeks at a higher price but also takes 40% commission off the sale. As a result, you probably will end up with the same net but will sell quicker if you sell outside of Marriott.

Whatever your parents decide to do, DO NOT PAY ANYONE ANY MONEY UPFRONT TO GET RID OR TO BROKER THE TIMESHARE. There are companies out there that prey on owners who are desperate to get out. These companies will usually tell you that they can sell the timeshare for significantly more than what the timeshare will ever sell for but will charge a listing fee of hundreds to a couple of thousand dollars. Or they will ask for a fee to get rid of the timeshare (but they never do and just take your $).

There are reputable brokers out there that specialize in Marriott timeshares and they are paid only if they sell. The best site to sell timeshare is redweek.com and it costs I think $70 or so to list it.

You should also join and post the timeshares for sale at Marriott Owber buy/selltrade Facebook page. Marriott timeshares are great and you will find people there who may be interested. Try to find an owner Facebook page of the resort your parents own. It works. I referred one owner who had a hard time selling their Aruba weeks to the Marriott Aruba owner Facebook page and he was able to sell his 3 weeks in less than 2 weeks.

Best of luck to you and your parents!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...