5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2016 11:43 AM by 702rugbyref RSS

Canadian Marriott visa members neglected?

YogiB Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

This spring I signed up for the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa card.

First of, we're paying $130 in stead of $80 as our neighbours to the south do. Only 50k sign-up bonus points in stead of 80k. No bonus night credit for every 3000$ we spend, no invitations to credit card holder events... Let's just say, it makes you feel a less-valued Marriott visa client living in Canada.

But then the card finally arrives and I start using it:

1) I can't download a PDF document of my monthly statement, I have to wait for the paper statement to arrive in the mail and scan it to properly archive it digitally.

2) The big Chase Canada computer just doesn't calculate the points right. In May I stayed at a Marriott property, which ended up charging 3 different folios (room, concierge lounge charges, all other charges) plus we had a small bill from the Delta property next door (we were comparing their mojitos). All these bills ended up as either 2pt or 1pt charges. I had to call in to get it corrected, which the call centre rep reluctantly did.

3) E-mail reminders need to be set up manually (reasonable), but are not interactive. So, despite that if I pay my balance immediately when my month ends (even before the paper statement comes in), I still receive all the reminder e-mails that I should pay.

3) The website is not very user-friendly. It looks like it never got a single overhaul since the early 2000's.

So far it has been a hassle to use the card. Is there any way Marriott can step up to Chase to tell them to update their system? And please introduce at least the bonus night credit for each 3000$; it's the minimum to do for the members that are already currently being penalized by a bad Dollar

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Canadian Marriott visa members neglected?
    jc411 Platinum

I have this card and I don't use it for all the reasons you've mentioned and more, and I think I will be cancelling it soon. I don't even use it when I book with Marriott because I've found that 5 points per dollar simply isn't good enough and there are way better options out there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

YogiB Platinum

Thanks for your view.

I also do have another card for everyday purchases, which gives me 1,5% bonus dollars, which I can redeem for pretty much anything (flights, public transit tickets, etc.) The 1 or 2 pts that Marriott offers is just not interesting enough (less than 1% value).

So the Marriott Visa is my trial for a year, mainly to use at Marriott hotels.

peymanagement Platinum

At the end of the day, the bank (CHASE Canada) purchases the points from Marriott. I is a Visa, and Visa has voluntarily agreed with the Government of Canada to cap the percent that they charge the merchant These caps are lower than what can be charged in the USA. Hence the bank gets less money and you get less benefit. To me the only real benefit of the Canadian card is the 15 extra nights credit and the free 1 to 5 cert a year, I use the card exclusively at Marriott unless the merchant does not take my AMEX.

YogiB Platinum

Wow, that explains a lot! Thanks for sharing.

Even at FlyerTalk, the best explanation I got was "Canada just isn't a competitive market for credit card suppliers."

Well, the Elite Double Nights promo is definitely making up for it. Looking forward to get Gold status by the end of the summer. Crossing fingers for a few out of town projects or excuses to approach Platinum.

702rugbyref Platinum

Good luck. Maybe there is some way to obtain the American version through an american address.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...