8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2016 10:49 AM by AndrewT RSS

Was going to switch from another brand

travelus1 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Recently I was sent a Taste of Gold challenge, due to changes in hotel chain where I am Concierge Level (their highest) having a million points collected.  I was looking at other options H..... or Marriott.  Gaylord in Orlando is always a treat regardless if just eating or staying there!  A few co workers recommended Marriott so I set out to stay 6 nights not understanding it needed to be 6 "stays"  but I stayed 9 nights and 6 "stays" and still was lowered to Silver status.  I tried calling customer service and man was not very understanding and said the promotion ended on June 30th, yes I knew that, I got the reminder Don't forget - this one ends 06/30/16.  I thought my stay on the 30th would count.  It was explained that I had to check out!  I stayed until July 2nd so I guess I am penalized for staying more nights? My co workers were shocked when I told them, as the staff at each location have been wonderful, which I found to be true but not the customer service line.  He continued to try to explain it was like playing a game and you either win or you do NOT! Really!  I mentioned had received an offer for Marriott credit card and was going to apply for that also, no response, said I can take my business elsewhere. "Okay" Good Bye.  Is this normal treatment of Marriott Rewards members?  Is customer service and rewards center difficult to deal with if you do come across a problem or try to use points?  If it is I would definitely rather move my loyalty elsewhere. Insiders what reward program do you like best?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Was going to switch from another brand
    fistuk Platinum

travelus1,

Any status challenge given to a rewards member has a specific timescale (usually 3 months) to be achieved in. This means that your last stay must end by the dead line indicated on the challenge, hence 6/30/16 in your case.

As much a I can't fully blame you for misunderstanding (because you're a fresh new rewards member), it is still your responsibility to make sure you fully understand the terms & conditions of any promotion given to you.

Marriott treats all it's customers the same, thus not being able to bend the rules just for you, even if it seems there was a misunderstanding.

I can honestly tell you not to get to excited by a phone call with a Marriott customer service representative. Unfortunately, these people are sometime not trained well to do their job properly, suffering form a severe lack of knowledge in the Marriott rewards program etc' (this happens due to low salary offered for this kind of a job forcing Marriott to recruit almost everyone - like in any other hotel chain).

Yes, it happened to me as well and I realized those people are more than a few times just incompetent... The best advice I can give you is to just call again and try someone else, or even ask to speak with a supervisor.

Since you noted you got a concierge status in another chain, I guess it's Club Carlson which you're referring to (?).

I am, myself, a Club Carlson member. I joined this club to be my secondary option - where Marriott facilities aren't available in the locations I'm traveling to (like in Oslo, Norway).

I actually got a free status match to gold since I'm platinum with Marriott, so this format actually works best for me.

In conclusion, I think you made not such a bad choice when selecting Marriot, and with the upcoming merger with SPG you'll get a hotel almost everywhere around the globe 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travelus1 Gold

Thank you, yes you are right Club Carlson Concierge (their Bonus is based on nights) when traveling with points they still roll out red carpet especially in Costa Rica & Belize and on regular stay in Indianapolis and several mid-west locations.  Recently stayed out west and room rate vs points is inconsistent example pay for stay Phoenix $55.50 or 28,000 pts, also with their credit card used to have Bonus Award Nights in which the last night of your award stay is free, pay for 1 or more nights with points and get a night not cost no points for last night.  I have plenty of points but it was a nice perk, taken away.  Waiting to see what happens, I still believe staying on 30th should count that because I did not check out and back in or go elsewhere for a couple days seems crazy.  Need to book 17 nights I only have 4 at home so being comfortable with my choice is important.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I think you are correct that the stay that included June 30 should count even if you didn't check out until afterwards. I'd try calling the customer service line again and see if you get a more helpful representative (I've done that a few times with good success). Most often the folks there are very helpful. Occasionally you'll get a dud.

Were I in your shoes, I'd call again and explain the situation just as you did here. Alternately, perhaps one of the community moderators on this forum will be able to help. How about it carat, AndrewT, or deannad? Could one of you assist travelus1? The way I see it, the 6 stays were made and thus the challenge met despite the fact that the last one extended beyond the end date (at least part of the stay fell during the period and in all other promotions, that has always counted).

Keep us posted on whether you are successful in getting this issue resolved and returning to Gold.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If that doesn't work, I'd try Bill Marriott's office.

travelus1 Gold

Thank you for your insight. I have sent info to AndrewT  he is polite enough to at least look into it.  Thank you!

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi travelus1,

Happy to look into this for you. Please check your inbox for a direct message for further assistance.

Thanks

travelus1 Gold

Thank you for your assistance.  Customer service said the 1st agent when I called made an error, and that the 30th did count.  Due to when it posted the automated system did not catch it.  They have fixed it and returned to Gold  I appreciate the quick follow up.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

You're welcome! Glad to hear this has been taken care of.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...