24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2016 7:50 AM by Jsucool76 RSS

Have been double-charged for the same reservations. What is the customer service email for complaints?

sduck Member
Currently Being Moderated

I stayed in The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection-Marriott Hotel around two weeks ago and recently have discovered that the hotel did charge me twice for the same reservations. However, I could not find a proper email on the web for addressing this issue. Where and whom should I write to?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection-Marriott
  • Re: Have been double-charged for the same reservations. What is the customer service email for complaints?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I would call Marriott Rewards, they'll sort it out quickly for you...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Have been double-charged for the same reservations. What is the customer service email for complaints?
    j&c Platinum

Yikes!

I'd start by contacting the Lexington directly at 212 755-4400.

We've stayed there many times and have never been overcharged. I sure hope that they will be gracious in correcting their mistake. Please let us know C

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

I agree you should first try to work it out with the hotel directly.  Only if that isn't satisfactory would you go to Marriott.

Jsucool76 Gold

Definitely call the hotel, as they can probably get it resolved the quickest.

This may seem like a stupid question, but both charges are posted/completed transactions, correct? Not pending transactions. Often times hotels put in an authorization for an amount, and the final charge may post separately, and the authorization will drop off after some time.

Platinum

Call your credit card company and dispute it. Don't even bother with the hotel - your cc will clear it up and save you the hassle. My 2c - works every time.

YogiB Platinum

I tried this in the past and it didn't work. Hotel will submit proof of stay and the CC company will accept it and turn your objection down.

Sort it out with the front desk manager.

Platinum

YogiB  My only question regarding this approach is this:

How would the hotel have evidence of proof of stay on same nights and billed twice unless there were 2 room numbers? Whatever works. I agree that the hotel is the first source to resolve this, but it's really just match. X$/night x Ynights x Z rooms = charge (adding in taxes of course)

YogiB Platinum

Your CC company will only contest one of the two charges with the hotel.

The hotel will submit proof of your stay to confirm the charge.

The CC company will accept the proof.

I've had a situation in which a Delta couldn't find my reservation upon arrival, so just set me up in a room with my CC for incidentals. My client, which made the reservation, checked out for me the next morning and assured that they would be charged, not me. However, I got charged nonetheless. The front desk manager wanted to help me, thinking it was the "on hold" charge that wouldn't leave. In the mean while, I ask the CC company to contest.

When it was clear the charge wasn't the "on hold" for the incidentals, but the room charge, every cooperation from the hotel dropped with the argument that they didn't see any trace of that my client paid for my room. Thus, they showed proof of my staying to the CC company who refused my contestation. I ended up asking my client half a year later to, AGAIN, go with proof of payment to the hotel to sort it out for me.

Ever since, I'm not leaving town any more without a solid reservation number. If ever someone misspells my name, I can still avoid this kind of nightmare.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I would also be happy to look into this for you, SDuck. If you send me a direct message with your Rewards number and the reservation number for this stay, I can get started.

Thanks!

sduck Member

Highly appreciate for all your constructive feedback.

Actually I have been communicating with the staff in the accounting department of the hotel by email for a whole week. Unfortunately up to now no obvious progress has been made to solve the problem. It's really annoying. Therefore I was looking for a customer service support as an alternative means to help settling the issues.

I am now looking forward to AndrewT's help in getting everything fixed as soon as possible.

Definitely will go for Dansplan's suggestion to communicate with the credit card company for settling the dispute in the worst-case scenario.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I have to say SDuck I am surprised that the hotel hasn't sorted it out quickly.  Mistakes happen, but it is what happens when they are identified that is the issue.  Have they said why they can't just refund you?

sduck Member

The staff in the accounting department said there was a duplicate reservation under my name and thus they charged me twice. I did not make duplicate reservations and also I have not been told anything about the duplicate reservations during check-in.

The staff said nothing could be done at this level and advised me to write to the manager of the department but unfortunately I still have not got any reply at this stage.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

So in effect they must be charging you a no show for the second alleged reservation

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Good way to lose a loyal customer . I had a similar issue 20 years ago with Sheraton and I didn't stay at that brand for another 15 years

frogprince Platinum

I had similar experience with Marriott Milwaukee. They reversed the charges for me.

insertcoffee Platinum

While an error, this is unacceptable in its attempted resolution on so many levels. That staff would tell you to *write* another department within their hotel to have them address this makes it sound like they are in a building the size of the Pentagon with as many layers of bureaucracy.

I don't know if  you live outside of the US and so a phone call was less convenient for you, or if you just chose to use e-mail for another reason, but I would have been a frequent caller until they were dying to get this resolved for me.

Unless you have exceeded a time limitation, I can't see why the hotel itself cannot resolve this, unless they just do not wish to do so. Next stop: credit card dispute.

In the interim, obviously make sure to note the names and any additional information such as date/time you spoke with any staff at the property, or had contact with them, so you can lay that out succinctly for CC provider or wherever you take this next.

Perhaps the MI ombudsman will be able to get some traction for you.

Please report back your resolution.

Platinum

Tommo781 Do people enjoy spending their time arguing or thing the hotel gives a hoot if you "try multiple times to work it out with them"? After one attempt and a denial - let your CC (as in Credit Card company) do the heavy lifting and they don't even get aggravated on either side. It's just math!! Works 100% of the time for me.

sduck Member

I am really surprised with the rudeness and impoliteness of the customer service of this hotel. No one was helpful and just won't listen to the customer. Even the staff who promised to look into the problem gave no reply finally. Definitely will stay away from this hotel and probably from the whole hotel chain in the future. There are a lot of alternatives especially in NY.

Jsucool76 Gold

Dispute both charges for the hotel stay with your credit card company. Are the charges for identical amounts?

Dispute over the phone, be sure to tell the representative that it was a double charge. The bank will likely get it taken care of after disputing over the phone I would send a written dispute to the bank as well. If it's been more than 60 days you're like SOL

I don't know how long it has been now, but it's likely your chance to react to this is running out, so I'd get on it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...