8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2016 9:05 AM by tommo781 RSS

My family is not allowed to access the lounge

jczjczjcz Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As a platinum member,

My wife and I am staying in Courtyard Seoul Times Square.

I could not be there on time because of my flight. I made the mobile check in. And also wrote an email to the hotel to make sure that my wife can get the room card.

But this hotel is asking my wife to give credit card guarantee again which I never experienced before in other Marriott hotel.

Even more ridiculous thing is, Courtyard Seoul Times Square is refused my wife to access the lounge just because I'm not physically there yet. I'm staying in Marriott hotel at least 2 weeks per month in recent 2 years, I never heard about this. Other Marriott hotels are all very good and try to make things easy, not like this Courtyard Seoul Times Square.

We apologize for giving you disappointment however under Marriot rewards terms and conditions, members benefits should be provided to actual member.

And Where is this rule written? It makes not sense if there is such rules. I booked this room under my name, and I will be there. It's not that I'm booking the room for someone else.

When you are in the business travel with your family, you can't always be with them, right?

Seven

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: My family is not allowed to access the lounge
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Firstly jczjczjcz, I have ALWAYS been asked to provide a credit card guarantee at check in, not just at Marriott but all other big chain hotels.  Perfectly reasonable in my view.  Even if the room is prepaid, there are still the extras, and the hotel needs to know it has the means to get payment.

The lounge aspect is quite clear in the Gold/Platinum benefits section of the website that access is for the member and one guest.  If individual hotels apply that to the letter, I guess that is their perogative.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jczjczjcz Platinum

Have you ever used mobile checkin? Mobile checkin means I agreed to use the booking credit card to do the guarantee, don't need to swap the card again.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

jczjczjcz I think you will find the point is, if the credit card was in your name, but you were not there at check in, the hotel needs a guarantee from the person actually checking in.  Say, for example, you didn't actually get to the hotel for reasons outside your control.  They could have had problems with using your card for payment, when you had not been there.  Whereas, when you did arrive, you could easily make sure the final bill would be charged to your original card.

Surely, under these circumstances, it is how much the hotel take off your card at the end of the stay that matters, not that they just wanted to ensure they got payment if you were not able to get to the hotel at all.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Can see both sides. I use mobile check in and most times they just ask do I want to use card on file. Sometimes they ask to see the card but I can understand when it is not the person on the card to ask for the card. My wife also has the marriott card so would be easy for her to show .

Jsucool76 Gold

+1 to tommo.

The alternative would have been the hotel sending you a credit card authorization form allowing your wife to use your credit card.

Easier thing to do is just let them take your wife's card and simply give them yours when you arrive and have them change it over.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

jczjczjcz, I always get asked for my credit card at check in, too.  But my Spouse and even a business colleague now and then have been able to get my benefits when I've booked them or their room on the same reservation as me or with my MR numbers.  But I think it depends on the property.  I've had no problems at all at Orlando World Center Marriott, the timeshares at World Center, Courtyard somewhere in MD (Spouse went by self), and Marriott St. Petersburg-Clearwater.  Maybe it is different outside the US?

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Following on from all the responses, I think it is clear that the hotel was quite within its rights to ask for a credit card guarantee when the person in whose name the booking was made was not present.

Some hotels insist on all the rules being followed; some are more flexible.  To me, I assume they will all follow the rules to the letter and I happily accept that.  If they are more flexible - well that is their choice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...