15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2016 3:56 PM by nationwide RSS

Lifetime Platinum Elite Card Received - Your thoughts?

nationwide Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I hit the lifetime platinum milestone last month and was excited to get the lifetime card in the mail that I had read about on Insiders.  It showed up in the mailbox this week while I was traveling. 

Let me say that I love Marriott, and have been loyal for a long time.  I certainly intend to continue that loyalty for a long time to come, but I am thrilled to have finally gotten over the hump so I no longer “have" to achieve 75 nights each year. 

All that said, I promised in a previous thread to describe what I got in the mail when the card came. 

The card came glued to the inside of a “Live Elite in 2016 – 2016 Platinum Elite Benefits” booklet, just as any elite status card comes.  It’s always a nice touch when you have status for the year ahead to have things outlined for you so that you can maximize the associated benefits.

The letter inside the cover from J.W. Marriott, Jr. opens with sincere thanks and congratulations on achieving “Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite Lifetime membership status.”  I know we’ve seen a lot of back-and-forth as to whether “lifetime” is unto itself a status. I am not going to argue either side of that here, but it is interesting to note those words used in the opening line of the letter.  

This is where I suspect the marketing department missed the mark a little bit. In the second paragraph of the letter, Mr. Marriott indicates that he is “delighted to present program enhancements such as Redemption Stay Credit, allowing you to earn Elite credits with every stay you make – including stays paid with points.”  Of all the enhancements he could celebrate here, this is the one with no perceived value to a Lifetime Platinum member… we no longer need elite credits, right?

The third paragraph gets back to expressing his gratitude and appreciation for staying with them.  So, it finishes off well enough.  I am thankful for the card, the note and recognition of lifetime platinum status.  I probably would have felt even better about it if it had been a simple note, not attached to the standard brochure, and not drawing my attention to a benefit that works only for those needing to requalify.

On the whole, I would grade the letter and card about a B or 4 out of 5.  I recognize the value of Marriott Rewards, and my loyalty continues, but this recognition could be executed a little bit better for your most loyal longtime guests.  

I recognize this may be perceived as a little knit-picky, and I accept that criticism in advance.  What do you think?

• Re: Lifetime Platinum Elite Card Received - Your thoughts?
    peymanagement Platinum

Congrats, it is a big deal achieving this status. While I would have preferred that they gave you the gold watch , it is nice to know that you have received some recognition. I was under the impression on other strings that there was no recognition.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nationwide Platinum

Thanks peymanagement! I was glad to see this too, as I had much the same impression from other posts! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Congrats and welcome to the club. 

While lifetime is a huge achievement spending all the nights that we have in Marriott properties I still believe we should be recognized by more than a prepared letter......more than a gold watch also.....maybe getting some Suite upgrade certificates to be used at any Marriott property.

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews

The recognition is good. I expect to Lifetime Gold later this year, and achieving Lifetime Silver was a non-event. I work for another company that has a loyalty program and achieving a higher status typically is a handwritten note by an employee the moment you achieve the milestone. But I believe the card is sent in some marketing.

Does the card look any different from the standard Platinum one? Not sure if anyone really travels with their card anymore but assume it would be a little stronger than the yearly card. We are talking about Lifetime here!

702rugbyref Platinum

Congrats on your milestone..says you have spent many nights away from home for sure. My wife is a bit concerned since I am already at 115 nights this years but she didn't complain with my recent upgrades at the JW Tomorrow Square or Ritz in Shanghai :-) . I presume you will still get upgrades and other benefits you worked so hard to obtain.

Best wishes. Phil

shanday Platinum 1 Reviews

My thoughts... Not such a big deal.  I just got one a few months ago, and I have nearly 2000 stays, not just a measly 750.  I was Platinum Premier.  Going from Platinum Premier to Platinum Lifetime is huge drop in status.  I'm really disappointed.

nationwide Platinum

shanday - First, welcome to Rewards Insiders.  We are glad to have you here.  Your post doesn't exude much enthusiasm for the program, despite your obvious years of loyalty.  What was the huge drop in status from PP to LTP that led to such disappointment? Most of the Insiders who have achieved both PP and LTP articulate that the difference is often negligible between the two, save for the occasional super-upgrade and a small gift each year.  Your post seems to suggest something more substantive.  Can you elaborate more on why you are so disappointed?  Again, welcome, we look forward to your inputs that will make the program better for all of us.

fun2go Platinum

How so?

AZDesertRat Platinum

nationwide - Congratulations on reaching Lifetime Platinum and thanks for your interesting and useful contributions to this site.  I don't think constructive criticism is "nit picking," and your observations should help the MR staff improve their communications.

columbussig Platinum

I am glad you posted this, because I had the same feeling, just reached lifetime in June of this year.  Not sure if I expected something to jump out of the card or music to play.  But surprisingly disappointed in the whole package and lack of recognition for the supposed pinnacle of loyalty within Marriott. 

Hate to play spoiler to those looking to achieve lifetime but you could simply write lifetime on your current platinum card and you would have the same recognition as true recipients of the award.  I would say if you are going to put these levels in place to include lifetime make it worth something, instead for the fact you don't have to hit 75 nights a year again, but really those who hit lifetime platinum aren't the ones worried about hitting the mark on a an annual basis.

Please put some effort in your recognizing your top tier customers, who truly are the drivers of your loyalty program!

lifesabeach Platinum

i would have to agree with columbussig..Although it is quite an achievement to be a life time platinum premier member it seemed the climb the first few years to get here was a lot more rewarding than when you arrive..I've been lifetime platium premier since Marriott came up with it and platinum premier for 12 yrs...with 3500 + nights.. I arrived in ST Thomas on Saturday the 6th only to find they changed my reservation on the plane ride...used a certificate for the week and paid for the upgrade... It worked out by the end of the day but still completely ridiculous to be happening to me at the Frenchmans Reef and Morning star resort that I've been too 6 times and on my wedding anniversary too ha.. Oh well corporate America has hit the the hotel industry..Btw no apology or free stuff to make me happy..It is what it is hope it's only an isolated incedent..Take care all and enjoy and congrats to all that arrive to lifetime cheers!

monisame Platinum

Congratulations you did it. Now it's time to enjoy the benefits

fun2go Platinum

SO congratulations! My job changed from a travel position to more local and few overnights! Yay! But I was looking

fforward to Lifetime Platinim this year. I have 19 nights this year, usually over 150, and I think I needed 54 more nights or 200,000 points. Won't touch either... I think I'll have to pay dearly to keep my Platinum and hope I can get the

glory of being there...so close! Congrats!!

nationwide Platinum

Thanks fun2go !!!  Where there is a will there is a way!  Do you have the credit card?  I didn't until September of last year, and I put all my spending on that card, paid it off every month and it definitely helped push me over the final hump.  Thanks again!  Lots of other creative ideas on the site too. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...