7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2016 12:08 AM by vaboywnder RSS

Using UBER

702rugbyref Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello fellow Marriott Rewardians.

Last week whilst in China, I used UBER twice while in Shanghai from the hotel to the Pudong (PVG) airport. UBER is a relatively new service in this country but both of my experiences were positive with good clean cars and safe drivers. HINT: get the concierge to enter the destination in Chinese as I don't think it is possible to request in English currently...BTW both trips cost around $30-35 each way for the 45'+ trips. Good value.Funny thing is I had NEVER used UBER EVER until this trip because it was easier than getting a cab during the morning rushhour at the J.W. Marriott Tomorrow Square even though I had reserved a cab.:

Has anyone else ever used UBER in China?

BTW...J.W. Marriott Tomorrow Square ------OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Shanghai, Shanghai, China JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
  • Re: Using UBER
    nationwide Platinum

Your trip sounds spectacular @702rugbyref!  I have never used Uber in China, but I do use it frequently in every city to which I travel in the United States.  I have found the service to be incredibly prompt, reliable and clean.  The drivers have been professional, and a cut above any traditional cab experience.  Lastly, I have found the rates to be less than half that of a cab when I choose UberX, or comparable when using UberBlack. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

I think I used UBER X on both occasions. I heard the lower option is more like a carpool

nationwide Platinum

Yes, there is an UberPool option (even less expensive) available only in certain high-traffic locations such as airport terminals etc that can enable effective ride sharing.  I have not used it yet, but have heard good things about this option too.

702rugbyref Platinum

I guess if it means saving a few bucks but I normally just want to get to B from A and not include C an D.

nationwide Platinum

I agree with you.  Despite the price reduction, I don't want to have to ride by someone else's hotel   Get me where I am going.  That's what I signed up for.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

ive used uber pool several times before. From my experience is that usually the other person is maybe 2 or 3 blocks off your route. On several times the people who i was sharing with were already in the car and my location was on the way to theirs, so essentially it was just like getting an UberX but with lower cost. I say if you are in no rush and looking to save then its a good option.

But if you have luggage, i would recommend just getting UberX

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Uber has been great for me.  I've used it in multiple US cities and also in Canada & Australia.

Chase Credit Cards is currently offering a $30 Rebate for new users:

https://www.chase.com/digital/uber

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...