2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2016 7:27 AM by brightlybob RSS

platinum premier

hojongsoo Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Happy 4th of July! I hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday!

Currently I have 83 paid nights, with 61 rolled over from 2015. I checked into the Atlanta Airport Marriott and was shocked to be greeted by the front desk with "Thank you for being a platinum PREMIER member with us Mr. Ho." I was like, could you please say that again?

He confirmed that I was a premier on his screen, and automatically upgraded my room to the concierge level and waived the $15 self parking fee.

I could not believe this because of the lack of paid nights, and to me the premier status is like seeing a unicorn.

The next day I flew to Houston and stayed at the JW Marriott on Westheimer road. However I was greeted with the standard "Thank you for being a platinum ELITE member with us Mr. Ho." When I told the front desk about my Atlanta experience, they JW said on their screen my elite status was just platinum.

As I have made several more reservations to Albany, GA and Burlington, MA for business trips, Reservations has confirmed to me that my status is just platinum.

Checking my marriott rewards app on the iphone, it does say premier when you click 

The next step is to call marriott rewards directly, but any thoughts on what happened in Atlanta? I really believe this to be a one time thing, probably a mix up in Atlanta.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: platinum premier
    fistuk Platinum

You shouldn't be too surprised about this.

The fact that Marriott has many hotel chains included in its program is the reason for this:

Each hotel chain uses a different internal system (in your case: Marriott hotels aren't using the same system as the JW hotels are) thus creating lots of disparities between themselves. The various system may be self-synching eventually but it doesn't really work as they wanted it to nor as we expected it to... 

In my personal experience I discovered that despite the fact that I changed my phone number on my account already long ago, the old irrelevant number is still showing in their systems for some very strange and annoying reason! go figure...

I also found lots of other examples during my traveling, so I'm quite familiar with this sad phenomenon and understand your so called 'shock'.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: platinum premier
      brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I concur, fistuk and I had experience of this when I advised Marriott of my change of address, it took numerous, and I mean numerous tellings to finally get the record changed. it seems that whilst I online or a rep on the phone would change the address, at some random point, weeks or months later it would be changed back to my old one within the hotel system, so whilst I see my correct address on my account the hotels see a different one. This became difficult as the Marriott credit card company (Creation) efficiently changed my address meaning that if I simply checked out leaving authority to deduct, my card would be refused as the hotel would fail security for absent customer transaction because they were keying in the wrong postcode. It literally took YEARS to resolve... No exaggeration!!!

And to you hojongsoo I'd say enjoy your brief stint at a Plat Premier, and it may be repeated as you may be Premier if thats what your iPhone App card... but beware if you've not updated your iPhone app in a while that may well be incorrect as for a while due to a bug the app was showing all platinums as premiers!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...