23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2016 10:23 AM by kroywen RSS

New York Marriott East Side Vs. New York Marriott Dowtown. ??? Any Advice

monisame Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Plannig a short stay in New York next week on my way to Europe. . Just three days. I know the city quite well . Just need a any advise of these two properties. I will like to enjoy my gold benefits. CL and Breakfast options when loung is close. Thanks .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
  • Re: New York Marriott East Side Vs. New York Marriott Dowtown. ??? Any Advice
    Jsucool76 Gold

According to FT the east side opens the lounge for breakfast on weekends, and downtown offers continental breakfast in the restaurant on weekends. However,the downtown listing was last updated in 2014.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

702rugbyref Platinum

Also interested in this question as I am looking at a long weekend in the City. Thanks!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We enjoyed the East Side due to it's location and got a nice large almost suite sized room.  Grand Central Station is very close, Central Park and Theater District not too far away and you're out of the bustle of Times Square.  Very good dining spots within a couple of blocks walk and plenty of shopping on Madison Avenue if you're so inclined.

The M Club was almost brand new although we did not eat breakfast there since NYC has far to many wonderful spots to enjoy a little light Deli breakfast as you wander about.

P1020960.JPGP1020961.JPG

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Both hotels are great options.  I know this doesn't help narrow down much, but when in the city, where you stay really depends on what activities you'll be planning.  I often stay at the East Side Marriott, because it is close to Grand Central Terminal and from there you can get to anywhere in the city quite easily.  However, the New York Marriott Downtown is close to the river which allows for some great views.  A great spot to eat in the area is Pier A Harbor House, with dining outside and right on the Hudson.  Plus, you'll have great views of the Statue of Liberty. 

Very simple choice:

I disagree with the post above by carat.

If you are visiting NY City as a tourist staying downtown can be very inconvenient.  Your choice should be a Mid-Town property.

Downtown at night is usually "dead" - unless the property has a mini-convention booked weekends will find the property very  quiet with low occupancy rates.

Downtown hotel guests are usually on business that make the location to the financial center very convenient.

Once your schedule is set as to why you are visiting, then proceed to chose the geographic area to stay.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Agree with ProfHill, Downtown becomes very quiet at weekends so East Side is a better weekend option, away from the human tsunami that is Times Sq, but very much in the action. Weekdays does see Downtown retain some life after 5pm though and it has a good early evening vibe

monisame Platinum

Thanks

monisame

It is impossible to answer or give advice without additional info.

What do you plan to do in NY - Or why are you going.

Your choice should be based on geography.  The only difference between the properties is one is in an old building and the other in a newer building.

Let me know what your plans are

monisame Platinum

HI thanks so much. Just going  three  days to visit some freinds and go arround with them. They have planned everything for me. Just looking a good hotel to stay and rest a while  any location  should be fine. The East side looks a pretty old Property but what about the rooms ???? and  Its services????

monisame Platinum

ProfHill Thanks so much for your help. I have already made my reservation at the one located in Midtown.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

We stay at this hotel mostly every time we visit NYC (usually twice a year). It is on Lexington and 49th, across from the Waldorf. It is very easy to walk to Rockefeller Center, Broadway, Fifth Avenue, Central Park. If going down to the statue of Liberty or the financial district (WTC Memorial), the subway (the 4 line) is two blocks from the hotel at 49th. Grand Central is only 3 or 4 blocks away from the hotel for access to many other distance destinations.

The staff here has always been very professional and courteous and the Concierge Lounge is actually staffed and they are attentive to who comes in so they don't have unwanted (meaning those who stand outside the CL door at other locations waiting for someone to go in and they follow) guests. There is also an outside seating area at the CL. The food is excellent. The bar and restaurant on the first floor have undergone recent renovations so I'm not sure how they turned out. The rooms in the hotel can be small, but we when we have been upgraded to a larger room, they are fine.

Smith & Wollensky is the next block over behind the hotel and many other restaurants are easy to get to. Not sure what type of food you like, but there are many choices nearby in the places and streets I mentioned above.

Hope this helps!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

20150801_150315.jpg20150801_150323.jpg20150801_150418.jpg20150801_150447.jpgHaven't stayed at the East Side, but have stayed at the Downtown. I was upgraded to the Executive Suite when I contacted the concierge ahead of my stay. As it was a Saturday stay, the CL was closed, but was given free breakfast at the Bill's restaurant off the lobby. It was a decent breakfast. The room was awesome. Huge living room, large bathroom, and a very comfy bed. The view wasn't too shabby either. There is subway service not far away, and on weekends downtown is quiet.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I have always had great luck at the East Side.  Staff is always top notch, hotel clean, good location for my needs, and they have always upgraded me. Have fun.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Marriott Downtown.    It was an absolutely perfect mini vacation.  Checking in with Pamela was quick and efficient.   We were given early check in (12:15) and when we requested 4:00 pm checkout she just smiled and said "certainly".   That gave us just about another full day to do things.  We were upgraded to  a beautiful room on the 34th floor with river and Statue of Liberty views!

Members mostly recommended  the East Side Marriott because of the activities available but this location gives you just as much to do!  If you've already visited NY and seen the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's, et al, you will get a whole new perspective of NYC downtown!

A visit to the observation deck and restaurant at One World is alone a reason to stay here, There are fabulous restaurants and shops and entertainment at Brookfield Place at the World Financial Center.   Walking or  biking the Battery Park City promendae - day or night - is a great experience.   Take the (free) Staten Island Ferry round trip for a fantastic water tour of New York harbor.  Or take the tour and see Ellis Island as well.  There is a complimentary Downtown Shuttle with 27 stops that takes you from the World Trade Center Memorial to the South Street Seaport with historical sites along the route.  Visit lots of downtown museums. See Alexander Hamilton's and Robert Fulton's burial sites at Trinity Church.   All of these are within walking distance of the hotel.

Less than 2  miles away ($7.50 by taxi) is The Highline and the new Whitney Museum, Chelsea Market  & Arts & Craft Center (where the Food Channel Shows are taped).   Also the Highline Ballroom for great concerts and shows.

A plus -- at this NYC Marriott on weekends when the CL is closed they still give you complimentary breakfast in the restaurant.  We had our first day lunch at Bills Burger & Bar at the hotel and it was very good.

Overall an A+ experience.   We'll be back!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...