36 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2016 8:57 PM by agbcpa RSS

JW Marriott or Courtyard in Washington DC?

bunkerkiing Silver
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are traveling to Washington DC this fall and torn between these two hotels.  This will be a completely personal trip, but fairly short (fly in Thursday night and fly out Monday night).  I thought about staying in Bethesda and taking the train in, but wanted to save as much time as possible, so we are torn between the below two locations.

JW Marriott Washington, DC

1331 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington,  District Of Columbia  20004  US

Courtyard Washington Convention Center

900 F Street, NW
Washington,  District Of Columbia  20004  US

I will be using points for either location, but may have to buy around 10,000 points for the JW as I'm currently short that many.  I have the Marriott rewards card, so I can earn points that way as well and may not have to buy any extra.  Having stayed at multiple Marriott locations, I'm very familiar with Courtyards, TownePlace Suites, SpringHill Suites, and the Residence Inn.   I'm OK with the Courtyard, as that is probably my favorite property when traveling.  Having never stayed at a JW, is it worth the extra 5,000 points a night?  I'm not sure what the differences are other than it's a higher end property.  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Extra information: 

The JW is 40,000 points/night

The Courtyard is 35,000 points/night

We are trying to get tickets to the White House, as well as other government buildings through out local State Senator and plan on visiting many other museums including the Smithsonian, the National Monument and other nearby attractions.  We may even do the hop-on hop-off bus.  Just sharing in case one has a better location than the other as well.ar

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
jw washington dc
courtyard washington dc
Washington DC, USA
  • Re: JW Marriott or Courtyard in Washington DC?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This strikes me like the question over NYC where the JW or a central full service (Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph) is 45,000 points per night - who would redeem points at the NYC Fairfield Inn which at 40,000 points/night is only 5,000 points per night cheaper? Its clearly better value to spend the extra 10% points to secure a far better standard of hotel.

Turning to your DC question, I can't answer it directly as I've only ever stayed at IHG in DC but for the most part a Courtyard is a pretty bog standard place, fine for a business stay and almost always much cheaper than the full-service-topping JW. The points difference here is minimal considering the gulf between Marriotts most ho-hum brand and it's full service brand-topper, JW. I strongly suspect you'll have a far more luxurious stay at the JW!

Unless the CY location is far more preferable for your needs I'd redeem at the JW, the extra 5,000 points per night should be very well worth it!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hassmh Gold

Agree with brightlybob, though not having stayed at either, I'd undoubtedly choose JW over Courtyard. It's a big step up in quality for a minimal step up in points. Even if having to buy 10k points for $125, unless money is tight I personally would not hesitate.

Also wanted to add, I do understand if your schedule only permits those 4 nights (had to do it myself once), but it would be worth looking at squeezing an extra night in before or after, as redeeming 4 nights gets a 5th night for free!

bunkerkiing Silver

I didn't think about the "Redeem 4 nights, get the 5th one free" - However, the first night, I'm flying in late (8pm) and am using a free voucher I have for a Category 1-5 property at the Raegin airport. 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I agree with brightlybob's analysis.  I've only stayed at Marriott Metro Center and the Mayflower (both are great), but I've heard that the JW is wonderful.  Spend the extra 5000 points (worth about $5) and go for it!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Just the title of this post intrigued me. JW versus CY. That's like saying would I rather ride in Lincoln Town Car or a Ford Taurus. Both will get you there, but the town car will be far more comfortable.

Go with the JW. Well worth the extra points even if you have to buy some.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Tthe JW is the hands down winner...one of our favorite places to stay in Washington. Always an upgrade and great service as well as walking distance to the major tourist sites.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

bunkerkiing Silver

I will definitely look at these, thanks for that.  I did actually do a little bit of research, but since I had a specific question, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.  Thanks for the extra info!

caohnso50 Platinum

I am staying at the JW in October.  Obviously not much help for you.  But I am glad you asked and look forward to more posts about the area.

crnkotm Platinum 6 Reviews

I've stayed at the JW and loved the location. Everything is right there and what's not you can easily get to the metro. Also, have fun with the elevators. It was the first time we had seen them setup like that and it takes some getting used to!

caohnso50 Platinum

What's the deal with the elevators?

nmballoonist Platinum

They are a new type that we also saw at the Marriott Anaheim Convention Center.   At the JW there are 5 elevators, A - E.  You go to the elevator call panel and instead of pushing the up or down button, you enter the floor number you are going to. It will then tell you to go to say elevator C.  You get on and go to your floor, with maybe a stop or two in between. There are no buttons for floors in the elevator car. These types seem to be much better when there is lots of traffic. The desk will explain to you.

It is amusing to see people who did not pay attention get on the first car going up from the lobby and see there are no buttons as the door closes. Only option is to get off at whatever floor(s) its going to and select the floor on the outside panel.

bunkerkiing Silver

There are also a few Marriott properties that you must scan your card when coming in to the elevator and it will bring you straight to your floor.  No button presses.

dano9911 Silver

Totally agree.  JW is best option and for only 5000 additional pts/night....bargain

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Absolutely worth it!  5,000 extra points for a JW  over a CY is like $500 extra for a Lexus over a Corolla!

bunkerkiing Silver

Wow, thanks for all the feedback.  I guess my mind is made.  I've just never stayed at a JW and didn't know how big of a step up it was as all of the Courtyards I've stayed at were great!  Was also curious about location, but from what I've read it looks like even if the location wasn't much better it's still worth the upgrade.  Much appreciated.

nmballoonist Platinum

I Don't think you will regret the choice of the JW. If you can contact them in advance, requesr a high floor with a view of Pennsylvania Ave. Most rooms do face Pennsylvania so shouldn't be a big stretch to get one I one of the higher floors. Can see the Capitol on the left and the Washington Monument and Tidal Basin on right. Enjoy.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Reckon you've made a fine choice there, enjoy!!!

nmballoonist Platinum

brightlybob It appears you are practicing for the upcoming TIPPLE in Houston. I don't think "I reckon" is in the typical Brit's vocabulary. We will know you have been assimilated when you start using Y'all and Yee Haw regularly.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

http://www.courtyardembassyrow.com/

http://www.nagedc.com/

I, too, am a big fan of the JW Marriott - great location, great hotel.  However, there is one Courtyard I have been going to now for several years and really like.  Also great location, great hotel, wonderful staff and a very nice restaurant downstairs - Nage.  It is the Courtyard Embassy Row.  It is about half way between the White House and Dupont Circle.  We really love that area for dining and as a base for walking the city.

Location Brand Hotel
    Washington DC, USA
    monisame Platinum

JW  is the answer !!! I stayed there and I can say that  is really Georgius.

stagmonster Platinum

We are Platinum Lifetime and one of the most memorable stays that we ever had was at the JW in Washington.  We had a red eye and arrived early.  The GM comped our lunch for 3 while we waited for our room.  We have also stayed at the Residence Inn at Dupont Circle and which was great to be in a different part of the city.  If you will be spending your time on the Mall, the JW cannot be  beat.

Also the Mayflower is classic. 

superchief1 Platinum

If Gold or Platinum, it is a no brainer. The lounge access and free breakfast alone will more than make up for the additional 5000 points per night. A good breakfast prior to sightseeing is always a great idea.

bunkerkiing Silver

Unfortunately, I'm only a Silver Elite member.  39 nights and counting.  Won't make 50 before this trip.  I travel mostly towards the end of the year and first half.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hey, bunkerkiing - do you have one of the Chase Marriott cards - that's a quick way to bump up a level.

MR Premier VISA - Ka-CHING!!!

In addition to a war chest of points, you'll receive 15 Elite credits after account opening and every year after your account anniversary,

bunkerkiing Silver

I do.  I generally only use it for business trips, but will use it a little bit more before to try to gain the extra 10,000 points needed.  I've only had it since January, so I'm not sure if the 15 credits will help in this case (unless they've already been applied).

Jsucool76 Gold

If you got it in january, the 15 nights have already been applied. They'll hit your rewards account a few days after chase approves your application, and then will hit around the time your annual fee is due, along with your free category 1-5 certificate each subsequent year.

You only need 11 more nights, so if you spend $33,000 between now and your stay, you could get to gold status.

Alternatively you could try to get a taste of gold challenge to line up with your stay.

I've heard mixed reports of whether or not applying for the chase business card will give you an additional 15 nights each year when stacked with the personal card (which could put you over the gold threshold). I did receive the credit for my business card this year, but my personal marriott premier card nights wont post until september. Depending on when your trip is I can report back and let you know if this is a viable option.

bunkerkiing Silver

I just called the hotel actually.  The lounge is closed on the weekends and breakfast is only M-F.  It's not worth having Gold in my case as I'd only be able to use the Lounge Friday evening and breakfast Monday morning.  That's assuming I won't have something else scheduled for those times.  Guess I'll stick with Silver, but thanks guys!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Actually, a lounge that is closed on weekends, typically is closed Friday evening but open Sunday evening.  As far as Gold vs. Silver goes, gold may get you bottled water and the possibility of an upgrade!

Jsucool76 Gold

Doesn't the CY convention center have a lounge that is open to gold/plats?

mrbmbrown Platinum

Really depends on your objective and your budget. Personally, I take the JW on Penn any chance I can for government rate when traveling to the DC area. If you can make it work the Ritz in Pentagon City is lovely as well.

agbcpa Platinum 5 Reviews

I always favor full service vs. courtyard but as someone who spends a great deal of time in DC I have had issues with every stay at the JW - I would suggest the Marriott Metro or the Mayflower as alternatives

If you go to the JW bar be careful I was given the wrong change twice from the bartender when I paid cash - one time on a secret shop looking for cash handling at the bar

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

agbcpa, I haven't stayed at the JW DC, but I can vouch for Mayflower and Metro Center.  Although I like the Mayflower better because it's a historic property, the service at Metro Center was just outstanding.  When I checked in last time, the front desk recognized me and greeted me by name without my even getting out my ID or identifying myself.  That's RC level service!

monisame Platinum

JW is The best option.

702rugbyref Platinum

Good call but because of the price in DC, I usually stay in a CY in Arlington or nearby and hop the train/cab. Still much cheaper.

agbcpa Platinum 5 Reviews

I would look at the Mayflower - it is nearby and the CL is open Saturday and Sunday