11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2016 7:43 PM by mrbmbrown RSS

What is the best Marriott to stay in Hawaii?

pisano772 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hey, I am currently in the process of booking our honeymoon. We know we want to go to Hawaii but we aren't sure what Marriott Resort to stay in. We are looking for a resort on or near the water, looking to do some excursions while we are there. My fiancé loves to lay on the beach and looking for some nice beach bars. Wouldn't mind some stores to go to while we are there. Another question also is that we are unsure if we need to rent a car or not. Any advise would be great. Thanks!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kohala, Hawaii
  • Re: What is the best Marriott to stay in Hawaii?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

The first question to answer is which island?

If you're just looking at Oahu, that's one thing. If you're considering Maui or the Big Island, the answers will be very different.

My vote for the best property in Hawaii is the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel on the Big Island. The beach, you've got covered. Bars and shopping, maybe not so much. Here is what I wrote about the property after a stay there last September. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel - Autograph property par excellence

Based on your comments, you may find the Waikiki Beach Marriott more suitable. Just across from the beach. Plenty of bars and shopping nearby. In fact, I'd say a little too much of those.

Anyway, give us a bit more to work with. Oahu, Maui, or somewhere else? How long? What sorts of excursions?

You should get some great response from the community.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pisano772 Member

Thanks for the quick response. We are staying for 8 days. We aren't really sure of which island. Trying to do some research but it seem like there are so many different options. Excursions would be basically just a tour of the volcanos and swim with the dolphins if they have that. (not sure of any other excursions that they provide) For the most part we just want to relax on the beach/pool, have a few good places to eat and a little shopping.

Got it. If the volcanoes are on the agenda, the Big Island is for you.

Here's some of what I did during my 5 days there County Collecting Hawaiian Style - Part 2, The Big Island. You'll find some of the best snorkeling anywhere around the Big Island. I can't stress enough how great the star gazing trip to the top of Mauna Kea was.

I'd still recommend the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, but if you want to be closer to the Kailua-Kona, the King Kamehameha Courtyard is a good option. The area around Kailua-Kona is pretty touristy, though not nearly as crazy as Waikiki. While not absolutely necessary, I would suggest renting a car on the Big Island.

With 8 days, you might be able visit more than one island, but don't try to do more than 2 in that time. You might consider 2 or 3 days in Waikiki to get the feel for things and then head over the Big Island for the rest of the trip. You mentioned a swim with the dolphins. I believe Sea Life Park on Oahu offers that. I'm sure there are other places.

You could easily find enough to do on any of the islands to fill 8 days. The only reason to island hop is to get a feel for how different the islands are from one another. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time anywhere in Hawaii.

monisame Platinum

IF you choose Maui. The Ritz Carlton at Kapalua beach is the best option. The property is really amazing in any way. The staff and service the best I have experienced. For a honeymoon sounds perfect.

caohnso50 Platinum

Great plan!  I also honeymooned in Hawaii.  And here is my advise as far as Marriott's go.

Oahu, I've stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott.  Great location, have to cross the street to get to the beach though.  Oahu is crowded and full of people at all hours.  No car needed it you stay int he Waikiki area.  If you do rent a car and get out of the city, it can be a fun island.

Kauai, I've stayed at the Kauai Marriott Resort.  Great resort, all the amenities.  The best pool area I've seen on any of the island.  The beach is in a small bay, so really calm waters.  You would most likely need a car here.  Na Pali coast is the best activity we've done on any of the islands.

Maui, we stayed at the Wailea Beach Marriott.  Another great option and a great infinity pool.  Expect some great photos from here.  Not so great for the beach.  Rocky shore here, need to walk to the neighboring property which makes it a little crowded.  But still one of my favorite hotels.

Hawaii, Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, hands down.  At least from what I've read.  I have a week booked there in February, but have not yet stayed.

jaynjulie Gold

We go to Hawaii every year for at least a couple of weeks.  We have stayed on all of the main islands.  Dolphin Discoveries on the Big Island is the best choice for swimming in the ocean with Dolphins.  Dolphins and You is a good choice on Oahu.  The Big Island has the best overall snorkeling however a snorkeling trip on Kauai would best be taken on the Na Pali coast where the tour guide goes into the caves.  Each island is unique and your desired activities will determine which island to choose.  There is a great book series called....Oahu Revealed, Maui Revealed, etc.  the books are very accurate.  Go to your favorite bookstore and take a look.   You will need a car on every island except Oahu unless you want to get out and explore.  Oahu has great and inexpensive public bus service if you want to take the time to figure the routes out.  The trolley is also great if you choose not to rent a car.  If you rent a car on Oahu, be prepare to pay for valet service as parking is a premium. 

akfishdude Platinum

I have stayed at all of the Marriotts on the islands (except the new Courtyard on Oahu north shore). They are all good. Where you should go depends on what you want to do. I'd stick to one of the beach resorts for a honeymoon though. Unless you are going to stay in Waikiki at the Beach Resort or Waikiki Courtyard, you will need to rent a car to get around and see the island. 

pisano772 Member

Thanks for all the great advise. We heard great things about the Waikiki Beach Resort but when we looked into the rooms we weren't that impressed by the rooms. They looked very outdated. For anyone who stayed there how are the rooms there? Thanks!

I had a very nice room. Here was the view.HNL.jpg

Not that I stayed in the room much. With so much to do, the room served it's function as a place to sleep and a stop in between activities.

akfishdude Platinum

I have been to the Waikiki beach resort 4-5 times in the last 10 years. In my opinion, it has improved quite a bit over the last few years, with renovations to many of the rooms and they redid the lobby last year. On Oahu, I prefer staying at KoOlina though because there are way better suite rooms (with full kitchen, and jetted tub and walk-in shower adjacent to the bedroom!), better and much less crowded beach with chairs and umbrellas, better pool bar,etc. It also rains less there. The only downside is you need to drive to get to the stores and non-resort restaurants (not great). The restaurant on the golf course is excellent though.

mrbmbrown Platinum

I agree with most of the posts here. Though my vote would depend on what you plan to do in Hawaii (makes a difference on island choice unless you plan to island hop via air), if you are renting a car (if so, then a more remote - away from the aiport location might not be an issue {e.g. Ko Olina, Kauai}, and what you like in a hotel (luxurious, ameneties, beach access).

So, unfortunately without some more info, it is hard to make a solid recommendation on your personal situation. I am going to assume for honeymoon you are looking for more romance, etc. IF that is the case, I would recommend Maui (the lovers island) and start from there. If I were heading to Maui again, my first choice would be the Ritz, especially for a honeymoon. Wonderful property, great beach (though it can be a bit of a hike depending on where you are on the property) and went through a major renovation not long ago. So, in all, my overall best recommendation, based on my assumptions above.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...