7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2016 4:59 PM by iahflyr RSS

Famous NYC Waldorf Astoria Closing for Renovation & Condo Development

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

WOW, did this every come as a surprise to me when I stumbled upon it today:

Waldorf Astoria New York Closes For Renovation & Condo Development On March 1, 2017 | LoyaltyLobby

Very very sad news for those who have stayed at this iconic hotel over the years.

My wife had yearly conventions starting Easter Weekend lasting a week for almost 20 years, it was like a second home to her and now to learn so many of the rooms will be renovated and sold as condos will certainly give her a tear in her eye.  To think of the lobby bar Sir Harry's Lounge possibly not being there anymore where so many after convention hours were spent, employees we got to know in catering, restaurants, bellmen and more

We got to know the hotel inside and out, how to get from one floor to another using back routes and hallways, we found ways to view events through cracked doors in the historic Grand Ballroom with all it's chandeliers.  To think of the huge events held in that ballroom is mind boggling, famous actors and world leaders that have enjoyed meals there as well as her conventions closing night events and then the beautiful front lobby and entrance all of it possibly being gone just doesn't sound right.

P1020956.JPGP1020949.JPG

P1020952.JPGP1020954.JPG

P1020955.JPG

Would love to learn of other Insiders memories of The Warldof before it closes March 1, 2017.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
  • Re: Famous NYC Waldorf Astoria Closing for Renovation & Condo Development
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Wow, sad news for sure!  I was lucky enough to stay there a few times.  I can clearly remember walking into the lobby as a little girl during one of their events and admiring the gorgeous dresses and sparkly jewels.  Thanks for sharing, IAHFLYR

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I just remember walking by it a few times when headed to/from Marriott Eastside and places like Times Square and Rockefeller Center, etc. and wondering what it looked like inside, as well as wanting to duck in to see the lobby.  Also trying to imagine past Presidents going to/from Grand Central Station and the Waldorf-Astoria via the secret tunnel.

I did snap a piccie of this icon.

IMAG4193d.jpg

Maybe you can arrange a surprise trip sometime in the next 9 months.  I wonder how much it will change.  I hope Anbang will respect it's history.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What a wonderful idea pluto77, I will have to arrange that "surprise trip" as I did not tell her a thing about it yet.....hmmmm an early birthday trip and for that idea might you might just get you a drink courtesy of the local "Tower Boy" at the TIPPLE!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...