27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2016 11:00 AM by phctourist RSS

Crystal Gateway Marriott Question

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are planning another trip to Washington D. C. and I know this hotel has been discussed on MI numerous times.  If you have stayed there recently, I would appreciate any comments you might have.  I have read that the lounge is closed on the week-end; however, platinum guests receive complimentary breakfast in the restaurant.  Is that correct? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Crystal Gateway Marriott
  • Re: Crystal Gateway Marriott Question
    nmballoonist Platinum

The Crystal Gateway Marriott is still very nice and convenient to the Metro, just walk through the underground shops to the station.  I am usually there only during the week.  The last time my stay included a weekend day was a year and a half to two years ago.  The lounge was closed on the weekend, but we did have a complementary buffet which was excellent.   However this may have changed since I was there.  Beware the Safetrack work on the Metro.  Lots of single tracking and closures.  July has work scheduled that impacts the Pentagon/Crystal City/DCA lines so check wmata.com or the Washington Post website to see if you are impacted.  If you can get a good rate, you might try the JW on Pennsylvania.  Great location, near the Metro Center station, and can walk to most locations on the mall. 

You might want to check out Jaleo, a tapas and paella restaurant by chef José Andrés that is at the SE corner of the Crystal City complex.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for the helpful response, nmbaloonist!

I'd be happy to look into updates around the lounge and breakfast buffet. I'll keep you both updated on what I learn.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi all!  lindseyh reached out for additional information about the lounge at this property and we were able to find out that it is typically closed on the weekends.  In the event that the lounge is closed, members will receive a complimentary credit for breakfast.  It will not necessarily be the buffet breakfast, but is usually for the standard hot breakfast. Hope this helps!  But if not, feel free to let us know of additional questions.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I have only heard good things about the Crystal Gateway property, some have even expressed a preference for it over it's close neighbor, Crystal City Marriott.  I've stayed at Crystal City Marriott a few times now, and they've treated me/us very well each time.  Excellent buffet spread with omelette chef on weekends with great service and the CL on the 2nd floor was redone less than 2 years ago.  Telling you this for future reference, in case you stumble upon a great rate.

Staying there again next month (1st wknd Aug) on an excellent rate and I too hope we won't be impacted by the metro work, as planning to use the metro to visit Nats Park and Marine Barracks 8th & I.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I've only experienced the Gateway and was totally pleased.  At the time of ,y visit,I was in chemo and needed some special accommodations and the staff blew me away with their efforts on my behalf.  Nevertheless, neither of us can make a comparison until we try the other.

There's nothing like being treated well, and especially when you need it.  Please send us an update. You should be finished with the latest round, I think.  Best, best wishes to you both.

pluto77  From what I can tell, the RED line from Takoma to Silver Springs will be single tracking from August 1-7.  I don't think that will impact Nationals Park or the Marine Barracks.  A DC local can probably confirm that.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

The local NBC Station in DC has dedicated the following webpage to Metro Safe Track

http://www.nbcwashington.com/traffic/transit/381818531.html

The Washington Post also has a schedule of Safe Track Closures:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/local/metro-closures/?tid=a_inl

Metro definitely has been in the news a lot lately and have been plagued with bad luck.  This pack week the Cleveland Park station was flooded and the week before some of the Safe Track equipment derailed then later the same day a train made rear end contact with a stopped train.  On my last trip to DC I made use of Uber so I wouldn't have to deal with the train delays.

Thanks for the links, vaboywnder.  We have never used Uber.  Can you give us any pointers?

Sure...if you are new to UBER and have a Chase Credit Card like the Marriott Card you can get a $30 credit towards your first ride which is really helpful if your first ride will cover some distance.  Use promo code "ChaseUber" when signing up.

https://www.chase.com/digital/uber

In metro areas like Northern VA and DC you can sometimes get an Uber within 1-2 minutes. When you summon a Uber on your smart phone make sure you are truly ready to be picked up and pick a spot that is easy to be picked up from like the front of a hotel. If being picked up at a hotel type in the name of the hotel instead of the street address.  

There are different levels of Uber Service.  The most popular is "Uber X" which is the lowest cost non shared option.  With the "Uber Pool" option you maybe paired with other riders who are going in the same direction. Other non shared options include "Uber XL" which is for larger groups and "Uber Black" for limo type service.

Uber drivers really appreciate tips so if you have a long ride or they help you with luggage then I recommend tipping the driver.  Unfortunately the app does not have a tipping feature built in so you may want to carry a little cash or use Lyft (Uber's competitor) instead which allows riders to tip drivers in the application.

Thanks so much for these tips for using Uber.  I think using them will make our travels in/around DC much easier.

Thanks razorbackfan, that's how I read it too, but wasn't certain, in case I missed something.

nmballoonist Platinum

I've stayed at both.  I personally like the Gateway over the Crystal City, not that anything is wrong with the Crystal City.  The Gateway just seems a bit more modern and I prefer their large lobby.

You should be good on the Metro.  Yellow line to L'Enfant and then transfer to the Green line.  The Concierge Desk in the lobby will be able to confirm the status and answer any questions you might have.

ssindc is a local and will hopefully see this thread and pass along more info.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Well, razorbackfan, you've been around enough (and you've noted) that these properties generate plenty of discussion on this site.  As a local - and thanks for the shout out, nmballoonist - my two cents (or what I tell colleagues from out of town), is that, generally:

• the Gateway is newer and larger - it's a big conference hotel - that's a double-edged sword - I remember when this hotel opened and it was all the rage - it remains a very popular destination for a reason - anyway, it's a solid, safe, reliable conference hotel choice;
        • the original Crystal City Marriott is smaller (not small, but smaller) and maintains a loyal following;
        • always, ALWAYS, check the pricing on the Ritz Carlton at Pentagon City - only one more stop on the METRO, and an easy walk to Crystal City - and they often have super duper weekend rates - Luxury weekend near DC - wow! | Marriott Rewards® Insiders; and
        • don't overlook the new(er) Residence Inn in Crystal City, which, arguably, is closer to Pentagon City - it's a couple of blocks further, but it has it's advantages IF you want the Rez Inn suite room...

Thanks for chiming in ssindc.  You have certainly given me more "food for thought".  The rates at the Ritz Carlton are certainly reasonable--$135 a night.  Do I remember correctly that we get no platinum benefits?  The club level room was about $250 a night.

We have our first 2 mid-week nights reserved at the RI Arlington Capitol View at the incredible member rate of $114. We plan on going to the Sunset Parade and the Twilight Tattoo in the Rosslyn/Arlington area those 2 nights.  Then we were planning on moving to The Mayflower for the next 5 nights at a rate of $169 which was the lowest rate in DC several months ago when I first started checking for rates.  Quite a few places have lower rates now, so that is why I asked about the Crystal Gateway Marriott.  It is $90 a night.

I appreciate your two cents worth.  Other recs are always welcomed.

Platinum members at the Ritz will receive 1,000 points as a welcome gift and free internet.  Club Lounge is only given to those who pay the additional cost or if you have a Ritz Credit Card you will receive 3 annual upgrade certificates to the Club Lounge each calendar year.

I've stayed at the Crystal Gateway and the Renaissance several times. The Gateway property is good for its location to the metro but I prefer staying at the Renaissance as it is newer and more modern.  I'm planning to attend a convention being held at the Marriott Gateway in Fall 2017 but may stay at the Pentagon Ritz instead since it is only one metro stop away and I have the Ritz upgrade certificates.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Well, razorbackfan, you can't go wrong at the Mayflower - that's my favorite!!!  (Call in advance, tell 'em you're a platinum, and ask for one of the (numerous) suites.  They're special!!!)

As for the Ritz, no, I don't think we get many privileges there.  But, hey, why not call the manager, and say - look - I'm a Marriott platinum, I've got a reservation at a Marriott, but if you can cut me a break (what's the one perk you want???), I'll spend a couple of nights with you... 

OR, what the heck, don't obsess over free breakfast - you're in DC - and remember that:

• Pentagon City mall, which is connected to the Ritz, has a solid food court,
            • literally across the street, in Pentagon Row, is a wonderful collection of reasonably sized restaurants (concentrated around the ice rink, which I think is a green space in the summer) - http://pentagonrow.com/ - We're big fans of Lebanese Taverna (it's a local chain - it's one of our go-to places) - Lebanese Restaurant - Best Middle Eastern Cuisine , as chains go, we think Bonefish Grill is shockingly good (if you like fish, the menu is really impressive - 20 years ago, it would have been unimaginable for a chain to offer such a selection of fresh fish), Asia Bistro has an interesting menu, our boys love Noodles & Company (reasonable prices, something for everyone).... and that's just the tip of the iceberg., and
            • as others have mentioned, there are many (many) good restaurants a short walk away in Crystal City, spanning the range from big chains (from Chili's to Legal Seafood and Ruth Chris) to interesting independents....

When are you coming?

The lounge is still closed on weekends but the buffet is excellent.  Gold and Platinums do receive complementary breakfast on the weekend.  The staff was extraordinary when we were there two months ago.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Have stayed there many times and like the ease to get in the metro as well as walk in the underground to various restaurants

Be sure to check on the metro track repair schedule.  Every section of Metro will be shut down for two or three weeks this year!

One other suggestion.  There are many restaurants near the Crystal Gateway.  One is a pleasant family run Greek place with reasonable prices.  The other is Legal Seafood part of an excellent Boston based chain.  Both are about a two or three block walk from the hotel.

The Crystal City and Reagan Natl Metro stops will be closed for a time in the near future.  Check the Metro repair station before booking your trip!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...