3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2016 2:37 PM by ssindc RSS

"Use Points to Pursue Your Passions"

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This title caught my eye today when I received an email from Marriott.  The "experience" that interested me was the one that included 2 Rear Mezzanine tickets to "Hamilton", dinner for 2 at a nearby restaurant, and a cast poster.  The cost is 450,000 points.  I checked Ticketmaster to see what the cost of tickets would be.  I selected a date in late July and tickets in the Rear Mezzanine ranged from $914.48 to $1777.  Tickets in the Orchestra section are much more and go up to over $3000.  All of these tickets are "resell" tickets.

Has anyone seen "Hamilton"?  Would you spend this many points to see it?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
  • Re: "Use Points to Pursue Your Passions"
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hamilton looks to be superb. Notwithstanding however, I would'nt spend that many points. I would buy my time with some patience for better pricing. 

Nice post.  Thank you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I agree with pluto77. That's a lot of points.

Keep in mind that a touring production of Hamilton opens in Chicago in late September and will run until March. SF and LA have also confirmed there will be "extended runs" when the production arrives there. Looks like SF will be March to July 2017 and LA will be August to December 2017. Nothing appears be determined after that.

Also, Lin-Manuel Miranda is leaving the Broadway production in a couple weeks (in case that makes a difference).

I'm sure the show is great. 450,000 points great, I don't know.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

The Marriott offer is an attractive one (but not so attractive that it sold out faster than the Peyton Manning event)....

We haven't seen the show yet, but everyone we know that has seen it RAVES about it.  (OK, they've gone gagga over it, and they can't wait to see it again!!!)

Admission prices are steep.  The only way to get non-resell tickets is to book many (many) months in advance.  Even the non-resell tickets are extraordinarily expensive - it's an expensive show in an expensive city, and the market will bear almost any price at this point.  Unfortunately, normal theater goers have to compete with re-sellers when new tickets do come available.

My son (who spends most of the year in NY) purchased for a distant date, waited (impatiently), memorized most of the sound track in advance, entertained his family at length with many of the numbers, and still claims it was the best thing he's ever seen.

Having said all of that, as bejacob mentioned, the already nutty market is particularly out of whack as Lin-Manuel Miranda's run winds down.  Expect the market to re-set, at least a little, afterwards and, as noted above, the touring company hits the road. 

But ... even then ... there's no reason to think you're going to see it in NYC for anything under (or, for that matter close to) $300/ticket for the foreseeable future (if ever).  Dunno about you folks, but, in our world, that makes for a prohibitively expensive weekend in NYC!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...