13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2016 8:32 AM by pingreeman RSS

Folios

boomer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I enjoy receiving my folio under my door on the morning of checkout as I can slip it into the plastic envelope that I keep for business receipts and into my briefcase before leaving the room. No need to stop at the desk for it.  I look at the emailed folio as a back-up but the issue with that is that it takes several days to a week after checkout (8 days and counting now for a checkout at the Philly Downtown Marriott) to arrive in my In Box.

I see that some hotels are eliminating the paper folio for environmental reasons (similar to the excuse on newspapers).  If this is the trend, I would like to have it as an option in my profile to receive or not.  Or, if the emailed folio could generate day of checkout that would be ok as well.  If Hilton branded properties can get your folio to your email on day of checkout and Hertz within an hour of return, no reason why Marriott couldn't either.

Thoughts/feelings?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Folios
    Platinum

Absolutely agree. Usually by the time I'm boarding my plane, my email receipt from National Car Rental is already in my inbox, AND ->> Points have been credited.

I think we have enough evidence just from the discussions on this site to indicate that the points-crediting process is NOT automated, and is dependent on associates at the property sending information (I've confirmed that in some cases this needs to be done by FAX (hello - 1980 called and they want their fax back!).

carat or one of the other community managers:

Can you please do a post on what if anything is being done to address this.

We are the most loyal members of the MR program. Many of us are also members of HHonors or other programs, and we all see the lack of follow up and decent automation as a MAJOR concern. This is SO easy to solve. The question remains - does Marriott care?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Good topic, @boomer! I'm interested to hear what others have think, and I'd be happy to pass feedback on!

nmballoonist Platinum

Boomer hit the nail on the head.  I put the hardcopy folio in my receipt folder and use the e version as a backup. It sometimes takes a while to get the e version.  Since most of my Marriott stays are for business, having the hardcopy lets me complete my expense voucher as soon as I get back in the office without having to wait for the e version.  I don't mind giving people the option of getting the e version only, but don't eliminate the hard copy under the door.

AZDesertRat Platinum

Absolutely agree with you and dansplan - currently, the folio is what is necessary to prove a stay and obtain uncredited points and elite night credits.  More automation would prevent much "corrective" chasing activity.  I recently stayed at the Triada AC in Palm Springs, opted for 750 points in lieu of breakfast - which haven't been received to date - and the stay and points credit didn't appear for weeks.  Second stay at that properrty, similar issues both times.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Here's my take.  I have never left a hotel property without a receipt. If I were to encounter a front desk associate who told me that they no longer provided receipts and that I should expect one in an email, not sure what I would do, but there would be a problem.  Wouldn't want to leave without the paper or email receipt, or without having reviewed it.  More and more, retail stores are offering email receipts instead of paper receipts. When purchasing online, there is both an email receipt as well as a paper receipt that one has the option to print. I never leave a store without the email receipt right there in my phone, which is immediate.  A hotel receipt is compulsory.  Not tomorrow or next week (or never), but at the time of the transaction. Anything less is unacceptable, in which case that property would find itself on my no stay list.

Same thing with the airlines.  I always have a copy of my boarding passes emailed to me.  If I cannot check-in online for some reason (it happens, especially on code share flights with foreign carriers), I have learned to never throw away my paper boarding pass until my miles and segs have posted. There is no recourse without It.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Whoa!  I have never heard of this, and I don't like it at all.  I make sure my bill is definitely correct before I pay.  If the hotel has a "check your bill" function on the TV, I check it daily.  You will not be surprised to hear I often find errors, and at least I can get them changed at the time and not have to wait until check out.  The folio under the door is a good back up check for me, but personally I never use express check out, so that in itself isn't a game changer for me.  However, I can totally understand that it is absolutely essential to business guests.

When I check out at the desk, I come away with a paper printout and credit card receipt.  I would NEVER want to go away from that.  As has been said, it is proof should it be needed.  Many of us have had issues with points not posting - and what is required?  A copy of the bill to email/fax.

No NathalieF and the team, this would not be acceptable to me.  If I was told there would be no paper bill, I would simply insist on a full printout of charges incurred during my stay at the desk before I left.  What would be best?  Just give me a bill as now, or hold up other people at the desk by insisting on something on paper, no matter how long it took.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I have had another thought, one that annoys me intensely wherever I say, not just Marriott.  And that is recycling.  If this folio stuff is on environmental grounds, there is much, much more Marriott could do first.

Here in the UK, household rubbish has to be split into recycling etc.  But I never find that in a hotel room.  All newspapers, bottles, cans etc are put in the same bin in the room as other detritus such as tea bags, coffee grounds, bathroom stuff etc etc.  I bet it never gets sorted.  OK, so bottles from bars and restaurants are put in bottle skips (which as anyone who has ever stayed in a room overlooking the bins will know from the noise at 6am ) but what happens to the guest room waste?

So why not have separate bins in the room, or a recycling bin for newspapers/cans/bottles on each floor near the lifts?  UK guests are wired to recycle, and whilst there will be those who ignore it, I bet that the environmental impact of such a measure would be far more than saving a couple of sheets of paper per room per checkout.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Have noticed that generally airlines now collect the recyclable trash separately including newspapers

boomer Platinum

In US hotels, particularly SHS, I have been noticing separate bins for recyclables and trash in guest rooms.  My issue is that I am never sure what goes where.  I try my best but do not have my wife there like I do at home to correct me.  In our town at home we pay by the bag at the dump/transfer station for garbage but recycling is free so I tend to err on the side of caution.  Keeping more "green" in my wallet drives me to be more "green."

Platinum

At my RI that I stay frequently, we have recycle bin in the kitchen separate from the trash cans.

mustanggt Platinum

I would never leave a hotel without reviewing my bill and taking a copy of the folio with me.  I have relied on this folio multiple times to secure missing points for my MR account.  Please do not do away with it!

superchief1 Platinum

I will also be very disappointed if more Marriott properties stop leaving my folios under my door on the morning of my departure. Like many of you, I won't leave the property without a receipt. Therefore, this policy will require an additional stop at the front desk. I had to do this recently at the Gaylord (near DC) because they didn't leave my bill under the door. It took over a week to receive my email copy, and over two weeks to get MR points for my stay. I am finding this to be a more frequent occurrence with Marriott properties.

My recent trip involved three stays at Hilton properties. Hampton Inn at CVG ($100 less than Marriott), HGI in Evansville (same cost as Courtyard, but I hate Bistros and get free breakfast at HGI), and Embassy Suite BNA (lower cost than nearby Springhill Suite). I received my folio under my door in all except Embassy Suite (4am checkout, and they do it at 5am), also received emailed receipt the same day, and points within 3 days. Marriott's IT problems and cost reduction policies are making Hilton and other competitors more attractive. 

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Too bad no receipt under door does not translate to "don't have to pay." The heck with "green" environment if that were the situation.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...