2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2016 12:53 PM by lindseyh RSS

Marriott Minneapolis City Center - Updated Review

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone who read my prior review knows that I have had some bad experiences at this hotel.  I spend a lot of time in Minneapolis for work, and have never been impressed by Marriott's offerings in downtown Minneapolis.  Compared to SPG, Hilton, and Lowes, Marriott doesn't have much in the way of high-end FS properties.  The new JW by Mall of America is nice but needs to improve its service, and most of the time I need to be downtown so the JW is not in a good location for me.  I do like Hotel Minneapolis quite a bit but it's not in the most convenient downtown location for me, whereas Marriott Minneapolis City Center is right next to my company's headquarters in downtown Minneapolis.  So I do stay there from time to time if Hotel Minneapolis is full or the rate is too high, etc.  My last stay at Marriott Minneapolis City Center was earlier this week, and I found this property much improved from prior stays, so I'm updating my review.

GOOD:

Service has improved a lot since my last stay.

Front desk was friendly and efficient.

M Lounge staff was friendly and helpful.

M Lounge is new - open 24 hours with excellent food and décor.

They actually paid attention to my special requests on the reservation and fulfilled them all (i.e., put me on a high floor with extra feather pillows and extra towels, away from the elevator and ice machine) - I have these requests on every reservation, and about 95% of the time, the hotels completely ignore them. So, I was very impressed at this hotel for getting all the details right.

This hotel is in a great location in the center of downtown Minneapolis (as the name correctly implies), although the City Center mall attached to the hotel used to be quite sketchy.  It has improved in the past few years quite a bit.

NOT SO GOOD:

Other than the M Lounge which is new and very stylish, this hotel is a bit tired and could use some updates - it's not horrible, but it still has that old style gold/red décor that Marriott put in a few years ago.

This hotel still tends to attract a rowdy crowd, probably due to its proximity to Target Center and Target Field.  As a business traveler, I do not appreciate being at ground zero for party central.

Parking is a bit of a nuisance, but you could say that for many large hotels in downtowns of major metro areas.

This last stay put me in the tiniest room possible at this hotel.  The shower was the size of a phone booth, and there was one queen bed with barely any space to put my luggage.  The closet was also barely big enough for me to unpack and hang a couple of business suits.

Soundproofing at this hotel is not good.  If you are near the ice machine or there are rowdy guests next door, you will not get any sleep.

OVERALL:

This hotel is much improved.  I will not hesitate to stay in the future, although I still prefer Hotel Minneapolis or the Renaissance at the Depot.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Minneapolis Marriott City Center
  • Re: Marriott Minneapolis City Center - Updated Review
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Loews I meant.  Just got done shopping at Lowes

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Minneapolis City Center - Updated Review
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for the great write-up, clebert! I may find myself in Minneapolis in the near future, and look forward to checking out this property. Glad to hear you had a good time!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...