6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2010 8:56 PM by zukracer RSS

Preset Room Temps - profile updates?

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So as I sit here baking in a room that had the heater set to "bake meatloaf" it occurs to me that perhaps an added feature for profiles could be preferred room temp upon arrival.  I know its nice and chilly out in the Chicago area tonight but I hate walking into a room and waiting for it to cool down to a comfy 67-70F range so I can get a decent night sleep.

Anyone else have this problem or find it annoying?  Even more so when the maids come in and jack with the temp settings so its a nightly adjusting of the temperature in the room.  Is there value in adding your preferred room temp to profiles?  Perhaps make it a platinum level feature?

Thougths?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Preset Room Temps - profile updates?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"Anyone else have this problem or find it annoying?"

The newer properties and recently refurbished ones feature the digital thermostat with auto temperature settings.  I really enjoy this at Marriott Vacation Club in particular.  It not only maximizes control and comfort but is much more energy efficient.  There's absolutely no reason to heat or cool a room if no one is in it.  If housekeeping changes the setting, I think it would be a good practice that upon leaving, it's manually set to the off position.  Depending upon the location, the room may be cooler than expected in the winter, but like you I prefer that over a sauna experience.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I think this is a very good idea, and one that hopefully someone at Marriott will pick up on.  It'll be much easier at properties that have a thermostat as opposed to those that still have the old-style wall heaters such as FFI.  Hopefully someone's listening.

Heck even beyond that looking at some of the european hotels where you have to slide your room key into an access switch that allows lights, thermostats, etc to be controlled.  When the key is pulled out it simply leaves the room at a basic temp, a small LED light of some sort and thats it. 

First time I went into one of these rooms I was a bit confused, was like WTH I cant get a light to power up.  Once I figured it out (it was glowing a sign saying "card key") it all made perfect sense.  That type of technology would be great to use in the US and probably save a TON of energy...I mean how many times do we walk out and leave the TV on or lights on or thermostat set to an extreme when no one is in the room.

Perhaps Marriott is listening?  At any rate, I found that the AC does not blow cold air when the outside temp is 5F but the vent ...ohhh wow it got chilly LOL :)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Once I figured it out (it was glowing a sign saying "card key") it all made perfect sense. "

Sounds like very smart building technology.  Where in Europe is this?  Outside of Europe has anyone else experienced this technology?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

At most California Marriott hotels the hotel room is often outside temperature or as close as possible, owing to the environmental consciousness and service staff whose job description includes keeping the costs of energy down. 

Where there have been no upgrades in the air handling equipment and the system is still the old-fashioned in the wall type, the sounds of heating or cooling are often loud enough to make you want not to have them on.

I agree that the room temps should be controlled for comfort but doubt that all hotels can remember the needs and the heat or cooling desires of every guest.

Where in Europe is this? 

Was in Germany, Dusseldorf Courtyard near the water as I recall.  Also want to say it was in one of the UK hotels, near one of the airports but I could be remembering the UK one wrong.

With this type of system, the temp setting could be placed in the magnetic strip and the system perhaps could read it and make the changes.  Would be a pretty slick solution and probably dramatically reduce operational costs.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...