34 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2016 11:04 AM by phctourist RSS

Is it me or is the Marriott IT systems and customer service falling apart?

maikalal Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

In the last few stays I have had at Marriott, getting points and nights automatically and correctly credited has been a hassle. I  book through the mobile app or online, the reservations show up on my upcoming reservations, I stay at the hotel, final folio shows rewards number correctly - but guess what - no credit for nights or points on the account!!. What a hassle. Then the exercise begins to scan the bill, wait for 10 days (count the days so not to forget), upload and hope someone will respond. And more recently, no response from customer service despite submitting online. Its been about 2 weeks after I submitted a missing stay credit request. No response.  Earlier I had booked 2 rooms, got credit for only one room. Emailed 2 times, not one response from customer service. Just gave up.

Not only is the automatic credit system broken, I think the customer service is falling apart.

For active travelers like me, the hassle of keeping track of accurate credit is just not worth it. I have been a loyal customer for last 3 years but my patience is running thin given all the extra work I need to do and on top of that, lack of a response from their service department. I have to figure out what my options are. Maybe Marriott is not my cup of brand .... and I need to find another chain that will better service its frequent customers.

Ball is in your court!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Maryland, USA
missing stay
poor customer service
  • Re: Is it me or is the Marriott IT systems and customer service falling apart?
    trevfour Platinum

It's not just you, it's a continual battle I'm afraid. Marriott's IT systems are just not fit for purpose.

I believe the Hotel submits correct data, but MR seem unable to process it.

My last 4 stays beginning May 27th, 2 still have not been credited at all, and the other 2, the stay was credited, but points only awarded for food and beverage!!

I have only just started booking stays using the Senior Rate, and it appears Marriott's system does not recognise it at all.

A question for our mods, could you please find out if this is actually the case, that SR is not eligible, and I'll stop using it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is it me or is the Marriott IT systems and customer service falling apart?
    fistuk Platinum

As much as I understand your frustration, I'm afraid you are not doing it in the right way.

True, you can wait 10 days and then submit online your claim, but actually that's doing it 'by the book'. I'm sure you all agree that if Marriott has been handling itself and its customers by the book than none of us would have been frustrated, right? So, NO, this is not the right way to do it.

Here is what I've been doing which has always worked for me:

wait 3-5 days and then (if still no credit on your account) call the rewards customer service line. You'll be surprised to realize that they (the US branch) can help you on the spot because in the US they can pull out your stay folio (receipt) online and update the credit while on the phone with you.

As a UK resident it has always worked for me since I always emphasis the fact the usually credit is updated on my account within 24-48 hours and if it hasn't been updated yet than it probably won't and it has to be done manually. In Europe they can't pull your folio online so I always mail it to them in advance and then call them. They were always able to look at my email while I'm on the phone with them and update the credit.

CONCLUSION:

Stop acting 'by the book' because Marriott isn't!

Be creative and try help yourself in an efficient way 

trevfour Platinum

Points well made, but you should NOT have to do anything, it should be automatically processed.

fistuk Platinum

Nothing will always work as it should... this is exactly why I said Marriott isn't working 'by the book' , so don't expect your credits to be always processed automatically...

trevfour Platinum

No systems always work as they should? Interesting.

I checked out of a lovely UK Marriott on Tuesday, I'm not naming it, as I do not believe it is their fault.

Spent equivalent of around $280 and my base points credited were 775 !!

Platinum

1000% agreed. If we are being asked to help run Marriot's IT department, I want a credit on my folio each time I do it! Believe it of not, the method US hotels use to send a request for points that SHOULD HAVE BEEN credited is a FAX!

FAX as in 1980, wake me up before you go go!  Standby while Marriott IT looks into getting every hotel equipped with a 9600 baud modem to modernize this.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I know for a fact that I got points and nights for a Senior Rate stay at the UK hotel you are talking about trevfour (Trevfour and I have had a couple of DMs about a particular hotel, so I know where he is talking about).  Although this was a while ago, I haven't seen anything to say that has changed, and I don't see why points should not still be awarded, no matter what the rate.

peymanagement Platinum

Buried in this back and forth IT babble, is a comment that senior rate does not qualify for points or nights. I don't think that is true! Can someone confirm that?

trevfour Platinum

That was me. I started using this rate 4 stays ago, 2 haven't been credited yet, and the other 2 only had base points based on food and beverages, not room cost. One was resolved when the hotel front desk took over my query. They told me MR was having problems with this rate. I did eventually get correct amount of points. Stay this Monday, still to resolve, around $280 less tax spent, base points allocated 775.

I forgot to mention, elite nights credited ok (double now for me) , it's the points I am having a problem with.

AZDesertRat Platinum

Absolutely not true.

702rugbyref Platinum

I called customer service yesterday to see about a missing stay that should have been posted and has not. I stayed at the same hotel later and that has posted. normally they would have contacted the hotel and confirmed and fixed it. however yesterday they did not and advised me to wait a few more days and then call them back (after an 8' wait on the PE line mind you). Something has certainly changed. they have taken care of this issue promptly in the past and my advice to all is to monitor your accounts because these errors are way more frequent than in the past.

mustanggt Platinum

I received an incorrect number of MR points from a recent stay on June 12th.  I was shorted about 35,000 points.  This is the third recent stay in a row where something has gone wrong with points credited to my account.  Today I called the hotel and they indicated that their records showed that they had properly sent the points to MR.  I then called MR Customer Service.  The representative I spoke with was very professional and helpful.  I gave her my original Reservation # and folio/invoice #. After she put me on a brief hold to contact the hotel, she quickly solved the problem and the points were credited to my account immediately.  Calling the MR Customer Service group does seem to work quite well.  I just wish I didn't have to chase down points so often.  Clearly from my point of view Marriott IT leaves a lot to be desired.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Think the systems are bad now?  Wait till they try to integrate Starwood!

opharbour Platinum

This is exactly my frustration in a nutshell.  I have had 3 stays in the past four months take over 20 days to post while I filled out missing stay requests, called customer service, etc..  I had a mod here look into the most recent missing stay for me, told me that it appeared on schedule to post on the 10th business day (it didn't) and sent me an e-mail address with an attention line to forward my uncreditted stay if I wanted the credit "expedited."  I forwarded my receipt as instructed and it still has not posted several days later.  I am just about convinced that there is a conspiracy that if Marriott doesn't post stays, many may not notice or give up out of frustration and then Marriott doesn't have to credit the points or confer status.

mustanggt Platinum

Hey opharbour, I feel your pain.  Yesterday I called Marriott Rewards Customer Service (800-321-7396) to get help with a missing stay worth 35,000 points.  The representative I dealt with on the phone took care of my problem in about 10 minutes.  The points were immediately posted to my account.  Try calling that number and you might be surprised at how well it works.  It helps if you have a copy of the room bill with the invoice/folio number when you call.  Good luck.

Lucifer Platinum

I agree

Lucifer Platinum

It happens to me all the time as well.   I know it is a hassle and this should be done automatically and correctly but it seems it is up to the members to make sure they get the proper credit for their stay.

I find this happen when the stay is extended and they will only credited you for part of your stay.

Other times it happens, when the hotel automatically charges your credit card every $2000 worth of your stay.   When you checkout, they only reward you the last part of your stay and do not count the nights that you were automatically charged during your stay.

Very frustrating!!!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Regarding Marriott Rewards IT, I have a different theory.  My suspicion is that the problem lies with the individual hotels, the reason being that some folks are reporting consistent hits, some are reporting consistent misses, and still some report a mixed bag.  I wonder if possibly the accounting staff are missing items for whatever reason, or perhaps if the points are submitted automatically via software when the guest is marked as checked-out in the system, maybe the associates aren't doing it properly.  The best software is robust enough to prohibit or at least deter input mistakes, but sometimes software is lose and/or possibly designed to be so complicated and somewhat user-unfriendly, or maybe it's just a training issue or sloppy work.

I've had consistent hits with regards to points posting, and the only time that I have had any issues in the past year is when I play the hedge game... if I'm not sure how many nights I'll need for a stay, I'll book (for instance) a couple of reservations back to back.  If I decide to use both reservations for the one stay, I ask the front desk to link the two reservations into one when I check-in or p/u my keys.  Sometimes when I do this, I'll get credited for the nights on the final reservation, but not the nights on the first reservation.  When this happens, I know I'm going to have to make a phone call to C/S.  I never wait more than a week before calling, and I've never been told to call back after 10 days.  The agent posts the missing points while I'm on the phone, and boom, done.

I never use email for missing stays/points with Marriott.  I liken that to sending the request into a black hole.  Airlines are different.  You have to use email or the website; it's the only option.

Of course I don't like to have to follow up on occasion with a phone call to any loyalty programs C/S, but alas, it happens.  No doubt I would be more irritated if I were a frequent business traveler, so I get that.

I am more inclined however (of course with no sure way of knowing) to place the blame on the individual hotels, and wonder if it might not be a good idea to start a thread listing properties that members have had issues with proper posting of points.

For my stay last weekend, everything posted perfectly, even the 500 points for waiving housekeeping.  Recalling how sharp the front desk staff was, I'm not surprised.  Anyway, just my take.

Platinum

No need for theories - I can help shed some light. Many Marriott properties are not corporate owned, they are franchised. The franchisee's can make many property specific decisions whenever a policy is not mandatory (does this help you better understand how the new 4pm checkout policy is worded)?

Furthermore, each property must proactively send (i.e. not automated as you'd expect) the request to credit your account with MR points for a given stay.

There's more if anyone cares, but thought I'd help at least a bit - it's not as random or unintentional as some might assume.

hassmh Gold

Even for a franchise, it must be part of the contract whether the property participates in the MR program, so if the property participates there must be adherence to the MR policies. Crediting points for a stay is mandatory, there's no negotiating, no questioning, except of course if a special rate is used which could disqualify, but this is fairly unusual. If the property doesn't do it right, especially if a consistent pattern shows intent, there needs to be action from corporate. I agree with pluto77, perhaps a thread identifying properties with consistent problems would shed some light on which properties need some action taken. Not that we can do anything here other than compile a list, but it's better to know going in that a property has had problems than to not know.

Platinum

I think a separate post titled something like "Marriott Propertes that don't like to credit points without a fight!"  I don't want to get thrown out of here like someone we may have known, so maybe you'll jump on this idea?

AZDesertRat Platinum

dansplan - I think you have a good and constructive idea, which will hopefully lead management to follow-up.  Having had clients with far flung retail operations, I am familiar with the challenges of training new associates and identifying problem areas with customer contact people.  Sometimes senior managers listen and respond, often they remain oblivious.  But why not try, as I know our moderators are dedicated to a viable MR program.

I would start the list with:

Triada Palm Springs, Autograph Collection (California)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Most properties are franchisees, in fact.  Very few are corporate owned.  I'm not theorizing that it's random at all.  I'm theorizing that the issue is with the individual properties.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

pluto77,  You are correct.  In fact, Host Hotels  (which was spun off from Marriott with most of the hotels)   owns many more Marriott hotels than Marriott does.  Also, with the spinoff of MVC, I don't believe Marriott owns any of the Time Share properties.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Me too!  Just returned from Europe last week.  Stayed at 4 different Marriotts and had a problem with each.  Called Rewards last week, faxed statements and called back yesterday and the person had done nothing.  1st stay - nothing, 2nd points for not taking breakfast but none for room cost, 1st agent adjusted but still short, 3rd gave me 1/2 credit, agent fixed that one, 4th only got for food, they said I booked through third party.  I booked on the Marriott web site and Marriott made some adjustments.  I now know that after the stay, they cannot pull up the history.  How does one prove a negative?  Time on phone close to 2 hours.  Not worth the points and nts credit but once you start, if you don't continue to pursue, time spent was wasted.  They blame the Europe hotels.  Faxed the statements again yesterday.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...