34 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2016 5:27 PM by coupons RSS

Trip to Aruba:   I Was Insulted As A Woman (Marriott Stellaris)

drlandrum Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I have two issues that I wish to discuss here, though they are on the same subject area:

Issue # 1

I completed paperwork for a sales pitch for Marriott Vacation Club and was promised 20,000 Marriott rewards points just for an hour and a half presentation. As I said, "I completed paperwork, with my name and my spouses name as secondary." I am a rewards member. I have my own points. No where on the form did my husband put his rewards number or even sign the form. Only I signed that form. It was not any kind of contract, and even if it was, is a woman who earns her own money as a Ph.D in private practice not seen by them as capable of being number one on a contract. Well, the problem came at the end when we told them we were not interested. As the last of four sales men completed the end of our "presentation," he then handed my spouse the paper for the rewards points with only my spouses first and last name on it. I told him I was the one who completed the form etc, and he just said "oh well" and said goodbye. I think this was extremely disrespectful. I felt like I didn't even matter, like a second class citizen.

Issue #2

The second problem came after we arrived home.   I got an email survey today, that had my spouses name on it (my name was no where in the email) and was asking him how he enjoyed the trip...  I guess the woman who paid for the trip using her Marriott Visa and her doing the checking in and checking out didn't mean very much.   My spouse was listed as second traveler, and I was listed as lead traveler because I made all of the reservations with my card...   I'll bet they don't bill him...

I can tell you that I felt/feel insulted, and that I did not matter at all!   If I were traveling alone, that would not have happened.  I know, because I travel alone a lot. 

I'd just like to hear how some of you folks feel.   I just like to be treated fairly.   I want nothing more or nothing less...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Trip to Aruba:   I Was Insulted As A Woman (Marriott Stellaris)
    tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Not a good move at all on Marriott's part, but I can imagine how it happened. If you are married, the spouse is required to attend the presentation. Regardless of who signed up for it. At that point, all paperwork says Mr. and Mrs......  I bet that's how your husband's MR account got the points for the presentation. This is only a guess and address issue #1.

I don't know how #2 would occur if you were primary on reservation. Did you get the points for the actual stay?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

drlandrum Silver

My spouse did not do anything with the form at the Presentation.   I just put his first name on it.   Guess they "assumed" we had the same last name.   Nor did they have his reward #.   My reward number was the only one on the paperwork.  

@.  Yes I did get the points for the actual stay, not that that mattered, they were not interested in the person (woman) who registered for the suite, and also checked out.  My rewards credit card is not at all connected to my spouses...  

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

This is not a good move on the part of MVC.  MVC has NOT been a part of Marriott for several years.  It is a separate company that was spun off from Marriott and has its own stock trading on the NY or NASDAQ exchange.  The bad move on the part of Marriott is allowing MVC to use the Marriott name in these promotions.  People should realize that the worst part of the MVC is not their manners (which are often atrocious) but rather the fact that the properties that they are selling are a bad buy.  The proof of this is that if you try to sell your time share you will get 10 to 0% of what you paid.  If someone wants to buy a time share you can buy it on the secondary market for 20% or less of the original selling price.

coupons Gold

Ha Ha Ha not laughing at you but with you; I had a similar experience; my husband's name was first; sat thru presentation from SC in Aruba; at the end made sure my Marriott # was attached to the 20,000 points they reread my # to me-no problem so far;  get home check with Marriott Rewards and sure enough the pts went to my husband's reward # despite contacting MR before we left, at the meeting plus we had this issue previously; made no difference; the pts were transferred to my acct; was told that generally the husband is put first (even the reservation although I made it had his name first); my concern is we have an encore which will give us 75,000 pts but you can only transfer 50,000 annually so this should be fun; BTW Marriott Rewards said that they could do nothing on their end; it must be clarified at the place issuing the points; hope this makes sense

drlandrum Silver

Yes, and I went to desk at Stellaris and they called up the vacation club and had me speak to them.  The woman I spoke to said I would get the 20k points, after I called.   This is a real issue for me.  This is not the 1950s where women don't work.  Who the hell says the man's name need to be the only one that is important.  I have taken this higher, because I find it totally disrespectful on the part of Marriott. I should be the one who tells them how I enjoyed my stay!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

You are right to complain doc . Both events shouldn't have happened and so far Marroitt doesn't seem to care

peymanagement Platinum

Doc, that is sad. Sorry that you were mistreated, this post furthers my disgust with time shares.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

So sorry to hear of this DrLandrum & coupons!!  I can totally understand where your frustrations are coming from and would like to share this with the appropriate team.  Would you mind sending me additional details about where this took place, the property and the dates you had attended the presentations? Thanks in advance. 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I had a similar experience except with a window replacement company.  They scheduled an appointment to come to our house, then refused to discuss windows when they realized my husband would not be present.  They said it was company policy to have both spouses present.  Needless to say, I did not buy windows from them. 

drlandrum Silver

Oh my, you don't even want me to get into the "at home stuff" where they need to work with my spouse...    My spouse was out of town on a business meeting and I needed to call Cox for help.  They said they needed to speak to the person who pays for the service.   I said I was his wife.   Anyway, I had to text my husband and have him call them so I could get the tv working....????    Then they fixed the tv...    I have hundreds of them, with banks etc...

mustanggt Platinum

This is a sad scenario in this day and age.  You have every right to be frustrated and angry with the situation.  If they can't properly handle this situation, how do you suppose they deal with significant others?

drlandrum Silver

This is exactly what I'm talking about.   I purchased a high end vehicle all by my self.   If they had asked for my husband's information, I would have told them to shove the car...

drlandrum Silver

This tells me that some real Diversity training is needed throughout the whole Marriott Industry!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

So this would be a good test ... what if the couple was 2 guys, or 2 gals?  How would they figure out who to put first?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

DrLandrum and carat, I think this is a MVCI thing.  Spouse and I have had similar experiences at various MVCI properties, even in the US.  I have had several solo stays at various MVCI properties and have been invited to attend a presentation in exchange for MR points during my stay, but it was made clear to me that both Spouse and I must attend or no bonus.  I objected saying I might wish to purchase more MVCI interests myself as sole owner, but I've been told at multiple MVCI properties that they won't do presentations for a married person without the spouse present.  This is not exactly what DrLandrum experienced, but it does indicate that MCVI has some rather old fashioned ideas.  Perhaps there are some property laws that they are worried about that apply to married couples, but it still seems really antiquated and ridiculous to me that they'd be so concerned about marital status and outdated gender roles, etc.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

That could account for first point but not the second which was survey of how she liked her trip which was also sent to her spouse even though she booked the trip

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

The whacky rule that both spouses need to be present happened to me....I called from our room and told them my wife was feeling ill and I was coming alone...They insisted that she had to attend or our "reduced rate" for the weekend would be adjusted to the rack rate....The end result was we were interested in hearing the pitch, but the threat and insensitive treatment made our decision NOT to buy an easy one.

drlandrum Silver

I am happy to say that Both MVC and Marriott Stellaris have sent correspondence to me.   Once again, I just want to be treated fairly as a female and I'm sick and tired of gender discrimination, after all it is 2016 and not 1950.   Thank you everyone for your warm and understanding responses.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...