29 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2016 10:01 PM by gomer RSS

Life Time PLT

jporter5408 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am some what surprised that while our cards reflect Lifetime status when we check in at a property we are shown as a Platinum. Wouldn't it be nice if we are shown as a "lifetime" PLT ?  Just saying ,we all made a huge commitment to Marriott and got a lot in return don't get me wrong, but would not that be a nice touch for us ?

Any thoughts ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Life Time PLT
    peymanagement Platinum

I completely agree, recognition is an essential human need that business sometimes overlooks, If you search the website you will find other posts similar to yours, Look them up, you will find diverse viewpoints on this very subject.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mustanggt Platinum

We have discussed this before.  Marriott is missing a big no-cost opportunity to give its best customers some much deserved recognition and at-a-boys!  Recognize the customer's achievement and tell them how special they are to Marriott.  This is the first thing new front desk associates should be taught in Customer Relations 101.

I agree and have just written a note to Marriott regarding this. Maybe they will seriously look at this. I was PP for 7 straight years while making LFT PLT 6 years ago, now I am a LFT PLT and no real recognition other than a card!!

mustanggt Platinum

I have never once been recognized for being Platinum Lifetime...Lost customer relations opportunities.

Same here which is why I have written Marriott maybe juts maybe some in corporate reads these threads.

peymanagement Platinum

Completely agree, In my view, first comes some kind of the recognition of life time achievement. I doubt that the front line worker is aware of anything other than status.

homoviator Platinum

I'm not lifetime, but I I have to agree. If you've put in your 750+ nights, the least they could do is say something--that's free. This conversation has been going on a long time in different places.  It seems like all the lifetimers would, at the very least, like a genuine welcome that acknowledges their sustained effort.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm not sure I agree. Lifetime is not a status.

Status levels are member, silver, gold, platinum, and platinum premier. All the lifetime addition means is that you don't have to earn back your status every year. There are no additional benefits for lifetime members (other than not having to earn your status each year). So in my mind, you're silver, gold, or platinum. Lifetime just means you get to keep it forever.

Platinum

So I am at the RI that I essentially have lived at 50% of my life for nearly the last 2 years. Talking to a (fortunately) well trained staff member, Sarah,  she definitely said that PP's get consideration for upgrades above Plat's. LTP really doesn't do anything special for you beyond never dropping below Plat, so you'll at least always rate above Gold, even if they are very active. As most on here know, but I'll repeat, PP is based on revenue and is approx 3% of top revenue generating guests. You have to be chosen based on your spend. Hope this helps.

wanderin Platinum

bejacob, I absolutely agree with you.  LTP is not a status and my happy factor is not tied up in a thank you from the front desk staff recognizing and congratulating me.  I'd much rather focus on a clean room, uncrowded concierge and not having to chase points!   I would hope Marriott would thank my employer though. (intent- lighthearted teasing)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'm with my fellow TIPPLER here, Lifetime Platinum is not a status. Platinum, like Silver and Gold is a status, those of us that make the 750 nghts and 2million points are awarded Platinum status for life,  It would be nice if Marriott did mark the achievement in some way, but I'm guessing Marriott would say it does by granting the status for life...

mustanggt Platinum

Ok, I'll agree that Lifetime is not a status.  However, it is a BIG achievement.  I don't know what percent of MR members get to Lifetime Platinum but I'm sure its small.  Whatever you want to call it (achievement, status, etc.) the point still remains that the customer has proven themselves to be among the best and most loyal.  Why would any organization not want to recognize their best?  A little extra special recognition at the front desk could go a long way! 

fistuk Platinum

What kind of extra special recognition would you like??

We can ask the front desk to kiss you each time you check in, but besides that, really, you should just be happy with having no worries about keeping your status every year.

No  "fistuk" but as someone that has well in excess of the required nights and years even after the reduction it was surprising to me that we are "viewed" in the system as a Platinum sans the Lifetime. I know the airline that I fly most often as a 1mm shows us as such in their systems. And yes it is nice not to "worry" about making status especially when we are traveling abroad.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Sounds like the solution would be for Marriott to create a "Lifetime" field in the system akin to the Million Miler that airlines have. Of course other than being recognized as a MM and having some level of lifetime elite status with the airline, I'm not aware of much in they way of additional benefits. I don't see much of a difference except for the recognition, and in the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure how important that is. I would gladly give up having my Platinum status verbally recognized at check-in as long as the benefits (upgrades, CL access, PAG, etc.) continue as normal. Sure, it's nice to be thanked for my loyalty and it's good business. It is, however, the least of my concerns for any given Marriott stay.

mustanggt Platinum

A simple thank you from a knowledgeable front desk clerk would suffice, and the kiss should be optional.  I guess I'll be happy just getting a smile, being handed my room key and then occasionally not receiving my MR points.  Why change anything?

fistuk Platinum

Sorry mustanggt,

But we've already arranged for you to be kissed each time you check in, and it's a bit too late to reverse that.

I'm afraid it's mandatory now for you, not optional... Make sure you have some wipes in your bag - just in case!

mustanggt Platinum

I understand that after the SPG merger this will become a guaranteed benefit...Platinum Premiers will also get a hug!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Big hug and a knife in the back as well?

bejacob the only other perk you gain from being a Million Mile flyer other than Lifetime Premier Gold is that you may designate another person, i.e., Spouse/Partner etc., who also will retain that level of Premier with the Million Mile person. Should your Premier level go up for a year or so before you get to Two Million Miles then the designee will also be elevated above Gold with you.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

That must be with united . With AA i have over 2 M miles and get their middle tier( soon to be 3rd tier as they ate adding an additional tier) and i have never been upgraded since the FF programs with USAir were merged. I get a few more points when flying but have chosen to fly SW a lot more to

avoid change fees

peymanagement Platinum

brightlybob, in my view, you are correct from a bottom line business point of view. I will probably never reach LTP, because I started so late in life, so really don't have an oar in the race. However, we see this post come up frequently therefore it should tell the powers to be that some LTPs feel unrecognized for their commitment. I concur that expecting some recognition each time you check in is not necessary and it is not a special status, but recognition of the milestone, in my humble opinion is warranted, and good business.

702rugbyref Platinum

Not there yet but it would seem reasonable and logical

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Couldn't a LTP field actually work against us? If checking in and the clerk sees that they could interpret it as meaning that at sometime in the past the guest was a frequent traveler, but not any more, so why should I give them any special treatment.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Just because one is Lifetime Plat, does not imply that they are no longer a frequent traveler!

hassmh Gold

This should be a training point, that LTP is to be treated at least as well as Platinum, if not better. That is, if Marriott views it the same as most on here seem to. If Marriott really considers LTP a bit below annually earned Platinums, then this could backfire.

boomer Platinum

I just broke the 2 million point level this week and assume that I hit LTP as I have 970 nights as well.  This is over the past 10 years without a MR CC.   Would be nice if Marriott would confirm this LTP status.  I know I will see it if I drop from my current PP status in Gold level.  I have had to stay in some Hilton properties lately so I did a status match and have Diamond.   Not sure if I will invest in keeping that for a while???

Congrats on your achievement Boomer.  Yes Marriott isn't the best at letting you know you've reached a Lifetime level for what ever reason, guess the IT Department again cannot figure out how to alert anyone of it.  Give CS a call asking about it and see what they say.

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

At least you were acknowledged as Platinum. 

I checked into Quorum Marriott in Dallas for 6 nights a couple weeks ago (5 on points and 1 paid night).  They had a sign up recognizing me as "Guest of the Day"  as I registered.  They even gave me a certificate stating that and that I was a GOLD member.  Funny, not only did I NOT get a upgrade, I got one of the loudest rooms when I had on multiple occasions request a QUIET room.  After 3 nights of no sleep, I couldn't take it any more and asked to be moved.  Still no upgrade; but I had a certificate recognizing me as "guest of the day"... There was even more aggravation than this... but I'll leave it at that...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...