24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2016 5:43 PM by jerryl RSS

Phoenix in July

greattraveltime Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Any insider recommendations for things to do or places to visit despite the heat?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
  • Re: Phoenix in July
    curiousone Platinum

Musical Instrument Museum, about a mile south of the JW Marriott Desert Ridge.

Heard Museum in downtown Phoenix.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Actually many of the resorts now have a lot of water activities including the JW Desert Ridge. The MIm is very nice and won't be at all crowded

mustanggt Platinum

If you are into architecture, visit the Frank Lloyd Wright museum in Scottsdale.  Then go have lunch in the Arizona Biltmore to see first hand some of his finest work!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You'll think I am totally insane, but golf if you play it is very inexpensive in July and you get to play some incredibly beautiful and fun courses.  My Son and I have done this trip many times in July/August and make very early tee times and play 36 holes a day and are finished by 2 or 3 PM then hit the resort pool.

peymanagement Platinum

IAHFLYR, is not insane. It is an excellent suggestion, If you get the earliest tee time, heat is not a factor at all. We do golf in am and beer at the pool in afternoon.

peymanagement at least I know of another loonie Insider!!

Plus you can get some outstanding rates at Marriott's all over PHX, but my favorite is still Resort in Scottsdale, AZ | JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa.

greattraveltime Platinum

Thank you. We had an amazing stay last year at the JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa!

hassmh Gold

Two makes for a gathering, so when is the Marriott Insiders Really Awesome Golf Extravaganza (MIRAGE) in PHX?

If I can dig my clubs out of the piles of debris dumped in the basement when we moved, I might be able to join next summer! Not a chance I could find them by this August, I'm only halfway through after 6 months of attempting to organize.

bejacob and brightlybob work on this please for next summer.......Insiders Golf Tournament!!!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Don't count on it. I promised to make this year's gathering happen. While that does not preclude future events, I'm not looking beyond September at the moment. Ask me again in about 6 months. The answer will probably still be "no," but it doesn't hurt to ask.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Absolutely. Tee off by 8AM and be off the course by 12:30. Then pool time!

12:30, how slow do you play ks77?   Tee off at 8 AM, I'll be close to number 5 on my second 18!!!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Well I was assuming there would be other golfers out there. I personally can get a round in without rushing in about three hours.

Atta boy!!  Others for sure would be out there, just hit into them if they're slow.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I agree, but unfortunately that is frowned upon for some reason.

702rugbyref Platinum

Old Scottsdale

jbritt51 Platinum 1 Reviews

If you have wheels, you can do a quick day-loop up to Sedona and Jerome.  We use to live in Phoenix and did that loop more times than I can remember.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

IM here right now it's 117 degrees staying at the McDowell mountain Marriott for 12 nights lots to see and do in the area were of to Sedona today

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Catch a Diamondback game, the stadium is air conditioned.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Have tickets for Saturday's copa america 3 rd place game it in the same stadium I'm sure

I Think the soccer game is at cards stadium in Glendale

AZDesertRat Platinum

Agree with curiousone  and jerryl that the Musical Instrument Museum is a "not to be missed" attraction.  Plan a full day or get a two day ticket and return the next day - it's that big (and wonderful).  Also check their website to see who is playing in the MIM theater while you're in town.  Intimate setting, many big name performers at reasonable prices.  Recently saw Herb Alpert and Lani Hall and more recently Melissa Manchester ($35.00).  Both shows were terrific and Herb invited all the questions anyone wanted to ask and played a great trumpet.  The Heard Museum is well worth the time and a new museum in old Scottsdale, The Museum of the West, is also excellent.  Hope you have a great travel time and let us know how it went.

The acoustics in the concert hall are among the best. Artists love it and it holds like 300 people 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Indoors is the only place to be in Phoenix from June through September.  We were there for a plane change, which we missed, and had to spend the night in late August.  11:00 PM temp was 93.

Phoenix is a nice place to visit in December or January, but not July.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...