10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2016 5:02 PM by superchief1 RSS

Reward Rooms

brklynrider Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

i am trying to book a room with Reward Points - why is it I can only get the bottom/worst room available ?!

I am trying to book a room with points and I get "limited view" etc. yet for cash a suite, corner room, etc are all available.

why why am I limited with my points - i realize it's a free room yet I am restricted to the worst rooms.  Makes me question why I stay at Marriotts quite frankly .  What's the point?  The good/better rooms are available but not for my rewards. 

IT's it's salt in the wound to see all these better rooms avalaib but not for reward points

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reward Rooms
    pilam76 Platinum

You can always upgrade when you get to hotel. The reason you always seem to get the worst room IMHO is they are saving the better rooms in the hopes of filling them up with paying customers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

trkjky Gold

I have had the same problem while using points. It's like you've become less valuable when you want to redeem your points. Asking for an upgrade results in the "But you're using points so I'll have to ask my manager" response. Makes me question why I'm still with Marriott too at times.

pilam76 Platinum

Well as a follow up, they do give you the lowest grade room available. Actually on my last stay at the Residence Inn Central Park, I stayed 8 nights all on points, being a platinum member helped but I emailed the GM a week in advance and they gave me a very night upgrade to a high floor corner room!

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi brklynrider,

Each hotel dictates the number of standard rooms available for booking with Rewards points. Although every participating hotel makes standard rooms available for redemption every day, there may be times when a room is available for cash sale but not for points redemption, such as:

• No Blackout Dates, which only applies to standard rooms. The hotel may have sold out of standard rooms for both cash and point redemption. The remaining rooms available for cash sale may be upgraded rooms.
    • The date is an approved Inventory Control Date. On a limited number of nights, hotels may limit the number of rooms available for redemption. You may be trying to redeem on one of these nights and the hotel has already reached its maximum number of redemptions.

If you have additional questions regarding the availability of rooms for the redemption of Marriott Rewards points, please contact a customer service representative at 1-801-468-4000 to research the specific dates in question.

702rugbyref Platinum

Thanks. I have booked my first ever stay using points given the $$$ to stay in Sydney. One hotel was not available for only 1/2 nights and would have to book 3+ days which to me suggests the room is available BUT on their terms which means filling a room (presumably less desirable).   I understand limited availability but in this circumstance, clearly the hotel is looking for longer stays.

superchief1 Platinum

I have used MR points for rooms for many years. I've used them for resorts as well as Residence Inns and lower level properties. I don't recall ever having an option to confirm any room above the standard level using points alone. However, I often was able to pay cash to upgrade a points reservation. Since the cash rates were too high for me to consider, I either just reserved the standard room or chose another property. I'm glad that I didn't pay the cash because I recently learned that the upgrade $'s don't earn MR points. Here are some of my experiences:

• I frequently have been upgraded at Renaissance and Marriotts to suite or better views as a platinum when I checked in. I always contacted the property in advance with the request : 'a platinum upgrade (suite) would be greatly appreciated'.
    • I've never been able to confirm a 2BR with MR points at a Residence Inn. Some properties have been very good about upgrading, while some refuse to upgrade even if the hotel is empty. A few would even confirm the complimentary upgrade in advance.
    • I've only been upgraded to a suite at a resort once, and that was several years ago when Casa Marina was a Marriott property. However, I was upgraded to the 1BR with kitchen at the Marriott Key West Resort 3 years ago.
    • Some properties seem to hold back availability for points reservation. Since flexible searches show no rooms over a month or longer period, this is obviously more than just a few nights. IMO, they are not honoring the 'no blackout' policy.
    • I've heard more and more complaints regarding various hotels refusing to provide platinum upgrades for MR point reservations. Although I haven't yet encountered this, I seldom stay in a resort or popular property in season.

seatexan Platinum

I'm glad that I didn't pay the cash because I recently learned that the upgrade $'s don't earn MR points.

I thought any money you spent at Marriott got you extra points? Or is that just when using the card?

Some properties seem to hold back availability for points reservation. Since flexible searches show no rooms over a month or longer period, this is obviously more than just a few nights. IMO, they are not honoring the 'no blackout' policy.

Yeah I agree with you here...

insertcoffee Platinum

Upgrading from points accrues no points. I assume if you did this on the CC you would get the points from using the card at a Marriott, but the actual spend  does not in and of itself generate points. Make sense?

superchief1 Platinum

This was discussed recently in a another thread. The Marriott policy currently doesn't allow you to earn MR points for the dollars spent to upgrade a room when using MR points. Therefore, the Points Plus cash option is typically not a good idea.

mustanggt Platinum

In early February I booked two rooms at the JW Marriott in San Antonio for 5 nights using points.  I stayed there at the end of February.  When I checked in they upgraded both rooms to a better view, upgraded one room to a suite and gave us connecting rooms.  They did this without me asking or requesting in advance.  I am PP and LTP.  All of the staff we came in contact with couldn't have been more accommodating.  By the way, this is a terrific family resort with a brand new water park including multiple slides, a sandy beach and a lazy river.  For the golfers, there are two TPC tournament courses right out the back door.  There are also wonderful restaurants and outdoor fireplaces to relax by after a long day of activities.  I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...