10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2016 10:18 PM by psudad RSS

Family Vacation in New Orleans

texasbandmom Silver
Currently Being Moderated

What are the best family (teens) things to do in New Orleans?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown
  • Re: Family Vacation in New Orleans
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Looking forward to these answers.  I remember being a 15 year old, walking down Bourbon Street with my parents.  It was quite the eye opener.

There are nice carriage tours of the French Quarter.

There are river boat cruises which will take you up river to plantations.

You can take the St Charles trolley out to Audubon Park and Zoo.

There is an Aquarium on the river front, just outside the quarter.

Cemetery tours in New Orleans are exceptional, as the cemeteries and their practices are very different than the rest of the country.

Coffee and beignets at Café du Monde.

Walk the French Market

Muffaletttas at Central Grocery, near the French Market.

Oysters at Acme Oyster House, maybe a tray of crawfish and an oyster or shrimp po-boy.

Bon Ton Café, just outside the quarter, in the business district is a great place for classic New Orleans cuisine.

Pascale's Manale off St Charles on Napoleon invented New Orleans style barbeque shrimp.  That and their crusty bread makes for an awesome meal.

Tujaque's, near the French Market is the oldest spot in the quarter and a great place for lunch.  Excellent gumbo!

Court of Two Sisters is a great place for a jazz brunch - incredible buffet.

I will say, New Orleans is much better suited for adults than children.  Would suggest you stay off Bourbon.  Otherwise, have a great time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

psudad  You did a great job with your list of suggestions for a family with teens. For another great meal, you can try Parkway Bakery and Tavern.  It recently won the best shrimp poboy in Louisiana contest and I fully agree.

texasbandmom Silver

THank you so much for for the suggestions.  These are all great ideas.  I think my kids would, really enjoy the cemetery (or a ghost) tour.  Do you have a suggestion for a good one?  We have been on one that was very history focused and would love to fisn one like that.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I agree with psudad 100%.  My first trip to NOLA was as kid, and I survived.  But we didn't go out carousing around after dark, either

rewired&happy Platinum

No visit to New Orleans is complete without a visit to Cafe Du Monde! It's a great place to hang out to have great puffed doughnuts and coffee.

benbuck6 Silver

It really depends on what you and your kids are into.

Café Du Monde and Beignets

Riverwalk -  Shopping

Jax Brewery - Shopping

Aquarium

The Zoo

A really nice WWII museum

Entergy Giant Screen Theatre

Holocaust Memorial

Escape My Room

WWII Musuem

Ghost City Tours

texasbandmom Silver

Thank you so much.  I really appreciate the suggestions. 

seatexan Platinum

How long will you all be staying?

texasbandmom Silver

Only for about 3 days.  We went when our kids were smaller, but now that they are older, I'm thinking we should do some different things.  I'm thinking they would enjoy the cemetary tours.  Would welcome suggestions. I have older teens.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...