6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2016 6:37 AM by dansplan RSS

Cash + Points

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Three times in the past week I've attempted to book a room using Cash + Points at different properties and have been shut out each time, with the message coming back as "Cash + Points combo is Unavailable. Please try again".

First of all, shouldn't the system be smart enough to know that it's not available when I look at the rates,  thus not giving me the choice in the first place?

Secondly, why are these based on an availability basis when the goal is simply to place a free night on the same reservation as a paying night?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cash + Points
    AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi there,

Please accept our apologies for any difficulties you have experienced while attempting to book your Marriott Rewards redemption online. The Cash + Points option was designed to allow members who have earned enough points for only part of an upcoming stay to use those points for one or more nights of their intended stay and pay for the remainder using a conventional payment method.

To book a reservation using the Cash + Points option on Marriott.com, the hotel you select must first be available for Marriott Rewards redemptions for the entire length of your intended stay.

As a Marriott Rewards redemption rate is not currently available for the entire time you wish to stay, you are welcome to speak with our Reservations office for assistance.  You may locate your area's Reservation office online at:

http://www.marriott.com/reservation/worldnum.mi

Thanks for reaching out. Hope this helps.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I'm afraid you are incorrect on this one Andrew. I checked and double checked and there are rooms available (Key West Marriott) using points as well as revenue for both days. Yet it rejects my request to combine them:

Points1.jpg

Points2.jpg

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Apologies, you are absolutely right. I am sending you a direct message now to provide further assistance.

Platinum

This is yet another example of why Marriott needs to replace it's IT management. These are SIMPLE problems that have been solved over and over for years, yet Marriott rolls out things that have not undergone basic testing. Considering the damage this does to the brand, somebody at corporate needs to wake up!

With all due respect Dan, it's not all that big a deal.

Platinum

I'm glad you feel that way. I agree that this one thing taken by itself is just a "glitch" but it's part of systemic problem over the years that is not being solved of Marriott rolling things out untested or half-baked. Overall, the main site and core fundamentals of booking a room, using rewards points, and cancelling/changing reservations work well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...