17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2016 4:10 PM by boomer RSS

What to do with a free day in Chicago?

caohnso50 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I will soon find myself in Chicago, staying at the Chicago Marriott Downtown magnificent Mile.  I have one evening and one day without plans.  Any advice on what to do with myself?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
  • Re: What to do with a free day in Chicago?
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I highly recommend the art museum! Probably the best art museum i've ever been to (and I've been to a lot). Good if it's a hot day and you're looking for some air conditioning.

The Art Institute of Chicago

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

caohnso50,

I found myself in a similar situation last summer.  Here's what I did: A JW, a Ball Game and an AA Dreamliner - Part Deux!.

Additional ideas, besides lindseyh's excellent suggestion might be:

Have a great time!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great suggestions, Pluto!

annew20 Gold

Just got back from Chicago.  I agree with lindseyh regarding a visit to the Art Institute.  It was a wonderful art museum  with a lot to see - many different collections.  My favorites were the Asian Art & the Impressionist Art collection.  We had lunch there in the European inspired courtyard by the pool, very charming.   Also, I would suggest the Architectural boat tour with information about the the buildings as you passed by.  So much history in Chicago!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

annew20, which tour line did you use? It appears there are a few.

annew20 Gold

We purchased the Go Chicago Card which included 5 activities (Explorer Pass) for one price.  One of the activities was the Architecture River cruise.  Since you only have one day, the pass would not work for you.  However, friends recommended the Wendella Architecture River cruise so you might want to go online to check it out.  Have fun!

peymanagement Platinum

Your profile says you love sports. Well if I had a free evening in Chicago, I would go to Wrigleyville, catch the ambiance and go to the game. on the free day I completely agree with lindseyh the art museum is amazing, I would spend 4 hrs there and do a waterfront cruise in pm. Now I am a man my wife would spend the second half of day on the magnificent mile shopping.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I would take in a Cubs, if home, the art museum is a great choice, seafood at Shaw's Crabhouse close to your hotel - if you want to really dig in to the history of the city, reach out to my old friend Dan O'Connell and book a tour at www.chicagosfinestours.com

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Gibson's for dinner. Awesome steakhouse.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

j&c Platinum

End of December, 2015, we arrived just before 4 at JW Marriott on Adams, walked to Giordano's on Michigan Ave to sit at the bar for an early dinner of outstanding deep dish pizza, spaghetti and salad (takes forever for pizza to cook - glad we ordered spaghetti!) Next morning, a gorgeous winter Sunday, we walked all over downtown Chicago. With a late check-out at the JW and an early check-in at the Renaissance Blackstone, we hit the Lakefront Trail along Lake Michigan, walking north (braving a stiff headwind) towards Navy Pier. After a late afternoon nap, we snacked in the Concierge Lounge on meatballs, salad and cookies. Hungry several hours later, we shared tapas at Mercat a la Planxa downstairs at the Blackstone for Catalan lobster/chorizo/chicken/rabbit saffron rice soup, lamb brochettes, chicken thighs lobster. The food was "fine" but service was off - bigger parties received the attention all tables should have. Will not return. On ice storm Monday, we snuck out the back of the Blackstone to Harold's Chicken and shared a bucket of whitefish and catfish. C&J

uhletsgo Platinum

I have had  a few 24-48 hours in Chicago. According to what you like to do I would pick one of the museums (art, science, aquarium, Sheffield, - in that order) and then one other activity (skydeck, archetieture tour, or a stroll on the magnificent mile stores) If you have never been to the Macy's department store, it is usually decorated for 4th of July. Not as "big" as Christmas but still pretty cool. And don't forget to go to the "Bean" of you want to people watch. This is very close if you go to the art museum. If you like plays, see if there is one you would like to see. Matinees in the summer can be cheaper. It is a great city even for a day.

uhletsgo Platinum

I have had  a few 24-48 hours in Chicago. According to what you like to do I would pick one of the museums (art, science, aquarium, Sheffield, - in that order) and then one other activity (skydeck, archetieture tour, or a stroll on the magnificent mile stores) If you have never been to the Macy's department store, it is usually decorated for 4th of July. Not as "big" as Christmas but still pretty cool. And don't forget to go to the "Bean" of you want to people watch. This is very close if you go to the art museum. If you like plays, see if there is one you would like to see. Matinees in the summer can be cheaper. It is a great city even for a day.

uhletsgo Platinum

uhletsgo Platinum

uhletsgo Platinum

boomer Platinum

I have had a few trips with time to kill in Chicago, unfortunately the Cubs are always on the road when I visit so that is still on my bucket list.

Giordanos has the best deep dish pizza I have had.  For an experience, visit Eataly, lot's of great food, just too many choices but one of the best Neapolitan pizzas I have had.

The Skydeck was interesting.

All in all Chicago is a great walking city and the CTA is convenient.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...