7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2016 6:05 PM by iahflyr RSS

Can I Request to Remain Gold instead of Platinum

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am currently Gold level.   By year end I'll have accumulated 75 nights which would qualify me to become Platinum.   However, I doubt I will do that many (or even 50) in 2017. If I remain Gold I'll have about 13 rollover nights getting me on the way for 2018 Gold status.    If I'm Platinum I won't have any r/o nights and therefore I'm concerned I won't make Gold in 2018.   So can I request to stay Gold?

All opinions welcome.....Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Can I Request to Remain Gold instead of Platinum
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Your concern is unwarranted. Go ahead and get the Platinum status. It will be good for all of next year and allow you to earn additional rewards points. If you don't hit 50 nights next year, Marriott will not drop you down to Silver, they'll bump you down one level back to Gold (they call it a soft landing).

So if you hit Platinum this year, you'll benefit from the new status until Feb 2018 when you would drop back to Gold (unless you hit 75 nights) for the rest of 2018 (until Feb 2019). If you drop a level, you don't get any rollover nights, but by making Platinum before the end of this year, you ensure yourself Platinum status for next year and Gold status for the following year. Not bad, huh?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow, you learn something new everyday!  I didn't know that you would get bumped down one level only.  Certainly good to know for future reference.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Thanks so much.    Wow now I'll be able to match my husband's Diamond Hilton status   And he thought he was soooo special.

mikem80 Platinum

I did not know about the soft landing, I was in the same boat with gaining levels this year, thank you for the information.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Excellent response bejacob and spot on.  

I also cannot recall seeing anyone getting that number of likes, 14 most of which must have come from the "Insider Credit" thread readers!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

kroywen,

I have been wondering the same question, only for a different reason.  I would like to have some nights rollover into next year, because I am getting close to lifetime gold and have the points, even closing in on having enough points for lifetime platinum, but am short on nights.  The rollover nights would help get me there faster.  Once I reach lifetime gold, I can then decide at what pace I want to shoot for lifetime platinum.  The problem is (well, it's never a problem except in this case) that sometimes if you're close to earning the next level, Marriott will gratuitously grant you the next level if you're close (ie. only stayed 48 nights, but gratuitously granted gold, or only stayed 70 nights, but gratuitously granted platinum).  I would be disappointed if I purposely bumped up my stays to achieve say 70 nights (which would garner 20 rollover nights), and then was granted platinum for the following year with no rollover nights.  I would prefer to stay gold if it will help get me to lifetime gold faster.  So I'm curious too, if one can decline a gratuitous bump to the next elite level.

peymanagement Platinum

One other thing to consider, is the timing of the amalgamation. I think it is a good insurance policy to be in the top tier when programs combine. I think that I would rather be platinum than get caught in a gold wasteland. Other than the points compared to other loyalty programs there is really little differences in the benefits between gold and plat. (from my perspective the 10 voucher) that may change. Who knows what will happen when and if the programs combine, but I think it would be advantageous to top tier.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...