6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2016 2:02 PM by rabbitt9 RSS

Booking thru a third party

coupons Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I came across the following posting on unofficial Marriott FB:

"We just spent a week in Orlando at Imperial Palms. On the way back we needed two motel rooms for Friday night in New Orleans. My first move is to search the Marriott website for a deal. We wanted walking distance to the French Quarter. Courtyard was listed for $319 a night, New Orleans Marriott on Canal Street was $219 a night. I went on Priceline and found a 3 1/2 star hotel in the French Quarter for $100 a night...too good to pass up, booked it and found it was the New Orleans Marriott. Total bill for two rooms with tax and parking was $246. Don't buy the line that the Marriott website gives you the lowest price guarantee. Small print excludes third parties like Priceline. Why don't they just offer owners good rates like this on the site?"  The person is a Vacation Club owner and has over a half million Rewards Points. Marriott would not match this rate but when he checked in he was given an upgrade because he is Marriott Gold Elite

Curious as to the moderators thoughts and looking forward to hearing from other MRI as to their experiences

Thanks for reading

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal
  • Re: Booking thru a third party
    AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi coupons,

When a stay is booked through anyone other than the hotel or Marriott International itself, the room isn't eligible for points or airline credit.  No Elite night credit is earned for such bookings.

For more information about earning points and which rates do not qualify for credit, please follow this link:

https://marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

Please note that we do offer Marriott's Look No Further Best Rate Guarantee.  Using Marriott’s Look No Further Best Rate Guarantee allows you to receive the lowest rates available and earn both points and Elite night credit for your rooms that you book on Marriott.com.  You can find more information on this at the following link:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott.mi?page=benefits_messaging

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

coupons Gold

andrew think you misunderstood the point this person was making-New Orleans Marriott on Canal Street was $219 online; Priceline had 3 1/2 star hotel in the French Quarter for $100 a night...too good to pass up, booked it and found it was the New Orleans Marriott; Marriott did not offer the lowest price; please reread what the message says; all the member was asking was why not give the same price to members

We do understand the rules regarding points and elite nites

Thanx for your repsonse

hassmh Gold

There can be many reasons behind the discounted rate from third parties, but the reason this one was excluded from LNF is that it does not indicate it is the Marriott being booked, and in fact does not have to be the Marriott if the same rate is booked again. I'm sure there are a number of 3 1/2 star hotels in the French Quarter, and those booking this rate get sent around to whichever has a room not already booked at a higher price. If you want to ensure you're staying at a Marriott, you need to book a Marriott. If you find a rate better than that listed on marriott.com for a Marriott property, you can get 25% off that rate using LNF, but if the listing doesn't indicate that it's a Marriott property there's no way to match it to the desired hotel, thus it's excluded from the LNF guarantee.

It's a bit like the price matching that most major retailers offer nowadays. They will match a competing advertised price, but it has to be exactly the same product.

keni Silver

I'm also hoping someone will weigh in on this. Last weekend I wanted to stay at the carlton in abu dhabi. ,I checked the rewards website and it doesn't even list this property. We will have stayed a total of 8 nights, 2 of which will not be credited because they were booked by a local online travel agent.  We had already stayed 3 nights and wanted 2 additional in between to get to the other 3.  The information was shown to them but they wouldn't match the price either.  I thought it was only in the middle east where we can't get the match. In effect look no further did not work for us.... same at the courtyard here

Location Brand Hotel
    Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal
    jbritt51 Platinum 1 Reviews

One of the challenges with booking through a third party is that many times you may receive ROH - Run of the House rooms.  This happened to me a few times with another chain. 

rabbitt9 Member

The difference is that Priceline.com is offering remnant rooms at the special pricing rate and is really an outlier to the stated Marriott policy.   Another option to get good rates is through other travel providers like Hotels.com, Orbitz and Travelocity,  You can sometimes find discounted nightly rates using coupons.  If helpful, try the below site:

http://retailcodes.com/retailers/hotels-com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...