8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2017 6:58 AM by debbiebrown RSS

JW Marriott Venice - Visit Update

mgcandfnc Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi -- Fiona and I have just returned from a 6 day stay at the JW Marriott Resort in Venice and thought some of you may appreciate some details and feedback.  Firstly it is worth knowing that the property is only open 9-10 months each year.  Because the hotel is on a separate island about 15 minutes by boat from s.Marco Square in Venice, the poor weather over the November - February period could preclude the ability to get staff  to the island -- let alone customers.  We opted to use a meet & greet private boat service from Marco Polo airport direct to the hotel -- touch expensive but totally worthwhile (especially when the other options would involve lots of transfers and you don't really know where you are going !).  Took about 30 minutes from the time we were met at arrivals to reaching the hotel.  Pretty classy arrival -- just like the website .

IMGP3636.JPG

The hotel has a great boat service to/from Venice every 30 minutes which allows you to take in the wonderful sights of Venice and then escape to the peace of the private island.  It becomes an easy option to buzz across to Venice for a couple of hours and then return. Also easy to connect with the Venice boat service around the main island and also to Murano and the other islands in the vicinity.

Check in was perfect with Francesca doing a great job.  We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a Junior Suite on the 3rd floor overlooking the beautiful garden and across to the bay beyond the island. These rooms have a large balcony which faces the morning through mid afternoon sun so if you want some private sun time you can grab it here.  The rooms are modern and extremely comfortable.

IMGP3639.JPG

IMGP3640.JPG

The first evening we dined at the roof top restaurant adjacent to the pool and overlooking the bay toward Venice.  Perfect for sunset watching but can be prone to invasion by insects.  The menu is a little limited and wines relatively expensive. The room service menu is actually more comprehensive -- so during our stay we opted to go across to Venice for dinner some nights and had room service on our balcony on the other nights.  Also found a supermarket in Venice to stock up on our own supply of wines which makes for a slightly less expensive bar tab.

IMG_20160607_2013534.jpg

There is also a casual restaurant adjacent to the garden pool area which serves light snacks, beers, wines etc during the day until 7pm so your time at the pool is really well covered.

IMG_3237.JPG

IMGP3644.JPG

Breakfast is served in a dedicated restaurant and is excellent with a buffet with everything your could ask for or wish.  One note to Platinum members -- because this is a JWM - resort, free continental breakfast is NOT included so you may want to check out the a la carte menu rather than opting for the EUR29/person buffet.

The hotel staff are excellent.  Very friendly and all going out of their way to make your stay special and enjoyable.  And yes the pictures on the hotel website are pretty close to reality.  BTW -- the majority of the staff actually stay at separate Marriott provided apartments and arrive by boat each day.

Bottom line -- wonderful stay and we are already thinking about our next visit.

Murray

IMG_3243.JPG

Message was edited by: mgcandfnc Photos added.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Venice, Italy JW Marriott JW Marriott Venice
  • Re: JW Marriott Venice - Visit Update
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hi Murray,

Many thanks for posting the details about your stay, and congratulations on what sounds like was a lovely Venice visit.  I think there are a few of us (myself included) who read your post with interest, as we have upcoming stays at this property.  I am glad to know about the hotel closure during the winter months, as I have contemplated a future November visit to Venice (when tourism is light and there is a bit more peace and quiet to be had.)

Can you please post the website for the private transportation that you used to/from the airport?  Thanks.  For an early morning departure from Venice (some in our party have a flight departure at 7:30am, some at 10:30am, but either way) we are trying to sort out how we would get to the airport from the JW in the early morning, since the JW boat shuttle doesn't appear to start running until 8:30-9:00am.  The only thing we have come up with, is to spend the last night at the Courtyard (off island) near the airport and no fun, that.  Also without private boat service, would have to use a combination of the JW shuttle and the Alilaguna line, which involves as you mentioned, transfers, and will likely take close to 2 hours, all told.  The Alilaguna boats are rather slow.

Also really good to know about no complimentary breakfast provision.

Thanks again for the info.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Boat transfer direct to or from Marco Polo airport.

http://www.venicelink.com/en/products/watertaxi

You need to add the basic option (EUR59.00) to you bag and then select the various options.

Extra for JWM (20.00)  Marco Polo (40.00) & Meet/Greet (45.00) == Total 164.00 -- for up to 4 persons

The Meet/Greet option provides limo transfer from the boat dock to the departure gate.

They collect you 2 hours before your flight departure.  Our transfer on Saturday took about 30 minutes max.

Really impressed with their service.

Murray

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thank you for sharing your trip to the island, as pluto77 has mentioned there are a few Insiders with an interest in this property so your info is most valuable.

I like the photos especially of the bed which looks almost non-Euro which helps those with back problems or neck issues. 

IAHFLYR -- no problem. Think the bed was a normal "Marriott" bed -- King not Super king but certainly fine.

monisame Platinum

Awesome in every way.

pamelamaesnap Gold

Thank you SO much for your wonderful review and description and creating this thread ... I only recently discovered this whole forum ... this was one of the first hotel reviews I looked for because we will be staying here early this summer ... are in the midst of painstakingly planning a wonderful family vacation -- what was originally in the plans as an eventual 60th birthday trip for me got bumped up by a year or two so we could be sure we'd all be healthy enough to enjoy it LOL! These days, you just can't be too sure ... So, hotels are reserved and flights are booked, so the heavy lifting is done and hubby and I are starting out with four days alone in Venice at this resort ... SOOOO excited ... before we take the train to Florence and meet up for the following week with our daughter and her boyfriend in Florence proper, wine country in Tuscany and finally Rome.

This resort seemed the perfect place to be able to explore Venice but also relax in a beautiful spot in and of itself ... I didn't know about the "meet and greet" service and will DEFINITELY sign up for that, so thank you for sharing that info!

We're booked for a deluxe "church or garden view" room (Uliveto De Luxe?) but it seems lovely ... I never expect an upgrade and therefore am always satisfied with what we get (and Marriott rarely falls short) and then on the occasion we GET an upgrade, it's an awesomely appreciated treat

I expect to come back and reread your review several times when I'm overworked and tired and just want to get into the fantasy mood for VENICE and ITALY and VACATION!!! <3

debbiebrown Platinum 6 Reviews

Great info mgcandfnc! Venice is on my bucket list for a the final stay during a cruise ...one day!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...