11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2016 4:05 PM by scott.heitmann RSS

Pay for upgrades as a Platinum Elite

tnicoll Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I usually don't get on here and co-mingle with other individuals about their travel plans.  Maybe I should?  I am asking today if Platinum members have ran into suite upgrade issues related to their room rate?  I have stayed at Residence Inns these past 3 months (all different locations) and have ran into a similar issue.  I typically book hotel rooms far in advance and at a pretty good rate.  Most of the time it is a one bedroom suite.  There are occasions that I will take my family (3 additional people) on the road with me and would like an upgrade to the 2 bedroom suite.  On every occasion that I have asked for an upgrade, I have been rejected due to my "low rate."  On all occasions that I brought my family along with me, I had to pay an extra $25 to $50 more a night for the upgrade. As a Platinum Premier member I always assumed upgrades to the next best room was complimentary?  Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Now, I would like to say this is only happening at Residence Inns (west coast).  I have not ran into many issues related to upgrades at the other brands. 

Thanks,

T.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Pay for upgrades as a Platinum Elite
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I have not.  I can't see why they would use your rate as the driver of availability for an upgrade.  Per the agreement, for gold and platinum, 'All upgrades are granted on a space available basis, as determined at the time of check in.  Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel.  Not available at Marriott Vacation Club'.  So, there is no 'great rate' qualifier.  I would go online, print out the rules.  Then, next time you are there, first ask if an upgrade is available.  If they say only if you pay, I would then show them the rules and respectfully request that they reconsider.  If they don't, not sure what the recourse would be, other than reaching out to the Rewards program and letting them know that RI's tactics.  And, let us all know the location.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

At RI properties an upgrade usually wouldn't be from a 1BR to a 2BR. In fact, upgrades at RI properties really don't exist. The rooms are pretty much all the same with the exception of booking a "studio" and getting a 1BR. I would never expect to be upgraded to a 2BR.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

That's not entirely true, ks77.  They usually have studio type rooms and an upgrade is an actual 1 bedroom.  I have received a number of those.  Have also stayed in the studios.  Studios are fine for me or me and my wife, but when we were traveling with the kids, it was nice to let them have 'their room' with the sleeper sofa and a fold out and their own TV and us to have ours, without needing a two bedroom.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I have booked one bedroom suites and received 2 bedroom upgrades on more than one occasion at different RI's. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I have been upgraded to a 2 bedroom on multiple occasions at the RI in Salinas, as both a gold and regular platinum member, and each time having booked a very low rate.

I have read others mention not getting a suite (or in the case of RI, 2 bedroom upgrade) due to either a low rate or else just because, even though there was clearly availability.  My thought on the matter is that, as with all franchising businesses, Marriott and their franchisees have to have a trust relationship with one another.  The trust relationship is what makes the business model work.  Franchisees commit and thereby trust that by doing business with and as Marriott, including practicing and adhering to the Marriott business model and rules, their hotel enterprise will be met with maximized success.  Marriott must trust the franchisee to play by the rules, thus ensuring the integrity and continued success of the brand.  When a trust relationship is broken, ie. the franchisee thinks they can do better by pulling away from the Marriott playbook, thereby making up their own rules, everyone gets the short end of the stick.  It's up to Marriott to bring them back in line, or risk potential denigration of the integrity and reputation of the brand.  It can be a delicate dance.  To me, so much about the general attitude of the staff at a property, and how they treat/perceive their guests, is a direct reflection of the mindset of their top management.

As guests, the best thing we can do regarding properties like these, that is, if they don't respond favorably to psudad's excellent suggestion, or Marriott doesn't respond to our complaints by investigating the brand, is to put them on a no stay list and to share that list with others.  And write a review on TripAdvisor.  Marriott reviews.  There's another sore spot.

Thanks for posting.  Which RI's are you referring to?  I wonder if they are all owned by the same people.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Salinas is a cool spot. I had the chance to use a cat 1-5 cert there a few years back. I stayed at the CY not the RI but it worked well for our needs.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Yes, a nice, lesser expensive Marriott alternative when enjoying the Monterey Peninsula, but unfortunately no longer category 5, like most of the rest of my former cat. 5 places.

peymanagement Platinum

I too got upgraded ay the RI in Salinas, I really liked that property. However, I would have to say that my luck at RIs has been minimal compared to other brands. I always get a better room at Marriott's. and my best luck on a suite has been at Fairfield.

scott.heitmann Platinum

completely agree.  I found the full service Marriott in COS to have the same outlook.  I've been successful getting upgrades a few times, but mostly I'm told no - even if the parking lot is empty.  RI in Rodgers AK, had the same issue.

pilam76 Platinum

FWIW at a CY recently I was upgraded from a standard king size bed / room to a 1 BR suite.

tnicoll Platinum

Thanks guys for your feed back (I told you I didn't get on here as often as some).  It has been really frustrating and I don't want to black-ball certain properties, so I'll keep it to myself on where I went specifically.  I will have to admit that I have been pleased with my upgrades in SFO and my upcoming trip (yes, you'll just have to wonder where I am going).  Thank you all again for your comments.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...