12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2016 12:04 AM by nmballoonist RSS

Heads up if You're Considering DC During the Next Six Months

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If you are considering DC during the rest of 2016, keep in mind that Metro will be single tracking quite a bit during that time.  They are doing a major safety related overhaul and use of the system will be limited significantly for the rest of the year.  Late night operations are being curtailed for this period.

Before choosing a hotel read the following:  http://www.wmata.com/Images/Mrel/MF_Uploads/SafeTrack_Public.pdf

Choose a hotel close to your destinations and check the maintenance schedules so you can avoid the tie ups.  Just to give you an idea, Orange line trips that typically take 30 to 40 minutes are currently taking 60 to 90 minutes.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, DC, Maryland, USA
Washington, DC, Virginia, USA
  • Re: Heads up if You're Considering DC During the Next Six Months
    peymanagement Platinum

Thank you for this, I was planning a trip into DC this summer and will take your post into consideration.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great info thanks muich for the heads up phctourist.    Yet another of the many reasons I enjoy Insiders, pertinent (as this was) and yes, some not so pertinent information.

MusicalMasseur Silver

Thank you. This is a great example of the type of helpful insights I hope to discover throughout this forum. I have an upcoming appointment on Capitol Hill, and this information will definitely impact my choice of hotel.

nationwide Platinum

This is really helpful!  Thanks so much for sharing!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Good to know as I'll be in DC in the summer.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Thanks, phctourist.  I've a couple of DC trips on the calendar in upcoming months.  I prefer the cost of the metro over the cost of a taxi, but will do what's necessary.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We'll be in D. C. later this summer, so we will need to study this information carefully.  Thanks for the heads-up,

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We'll be in D. C. later this summer, so we will need to study this information carefully.  Thanks for the heads-up,

nmballoonist Platinum

Good advice phctourist.  Actually I think the work is actually over a full year, so it pays to check before traveling there.I escaped the District last week, just before the SafeTrack initiative started.  I am going to try to minimize my trips there, but unfortunately there is no way for me to eliminate them.  Another good source for information is the Washington Post.  There are a number of free ways to get access to the online version, such as registering with a .gov email address or my local paper includes WaPo access.  Here is a link to one of their summary articles, SafeTrack closures: These D.C. Metro lines and stations will be disrupted in the next year - Washington Post.

While this work is a pain if you are having to commute, but totally necessary.   I had a colleague who was on the train that was in the tunnel with the electrical fire outside the L'Enfant station.  Suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to the hospital to be checked out.  Fortunately he was ok.  A lot of coworkers are just taking taxis due to concerns about safety.  I still typically take the Metro when in town but hard to argue with their logic.

Most of the activity seems to be outside the downtown area, but July has some impacts if you are taking the Metro from DCA into town.  Any of my stays will be close to downtown where I can walk, take a cab, or use the Metro if not impacted in the area.  I have stayed at the JW, the Mayflower, and the Washington Marriott Georgetown.  All have pluses and minuses depending on your needs and tastes,  but would recommend them all.  Haven't stayed at the Metro Center Marriott but colleagues have given it good recommendations.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...