17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2016 8:18 AM by mrmcgoo RSS

Looking at Hotels at Disneyworld. Delta?

nmballoonist Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Driving from Atlanta to Orlando to take my daughter to Disneyworld to participate in the Disney College Program this fall. Looking at the early August timeframe since she is checking in on Aug 8th.  The Delta near Disney Springs has a great promotion rate for elite members, $100 a night, but since it is a new addition to Marriott I don't see much about it here on the site.  Anyone have any experience with this location?  Pictures look like it might be comparable to a CY. Hard to beat the rate even with the parking fee, plus I can also use my certificate for one of the nights since it is a Cat 5.

I can also get a good rate at the Courtyard Lake Buena Vista inside the Marriott Village which is also very close to where we need to be, but for $10 a night more can stay at the JW closer to Seaworld, but a longer drive to what will be her apartment and the casting building.

Any insights will be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Disney World, Florida, USA
  • Re: Looking at Hotels at Disneyworld. Delta?
    hassmh Gold

We'll be in Orlando at the same time, but likely with very different objectives (we need to keep small children entertained) so I'm not sure any of my research is much help. But I'll be very interested in any replies you get from those with more Orlando experience. We're looking at the JW. but considering other options as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nmballoonist Platinum

Not sure what you are looking for, or the ages of your kiddos, but we have always stayed on Disney property with our daughter.  We have more experience with Disney CA but have been to Disney World maybe a half dozen times in about 20 years.  Disney is running a promotion now so you can find some pretty good options. Our favorite property is Animal Kingdom Lodge.  Its the furthest away from most of the parks, but if you book a room with a view of the Arusha Savannah you have a morning and evening show outside your balcony.  Also, Sanaa is one of our favorite restaurants with a view of the savannah.  Have been at the Caribbean Beach and the Port Orleans Riverside.  All have been great.  It all depends on what experience you want and your budget.

hassmh Gold

Staying on Disney would be a good option if we were spending the whole time at the parks, but we're only doing 2 days at Disney, also doing other things in the area, and want to use some of my points cache so a Marriott property is just about the only criteria we have. Counting the 9 month-old, we need room for 5-6 (6th not yet committed to it), but want a resort that has water stuff for kids, so either 2 hotel rooms or 1 MVC villa. That's why I'm not sure if any responses to your inquiry will apply for us, but still interesting to hear of Marriott properties in the area from those with more experience.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

With as many people as you may have, did you look at the Sbal Palms or the other ones at Marriott world village? They are timehsares but depending on time and season, many of them can be rented like a hotel room or points used (via the Marriott website), and they have 1, 2 nd 3 BR options. They complex has 4 timeshares for rental and its a 10 min drive to Disney and 20 to Universal, seaworld, etc. We used those when our kids were little and we needed more room for all of the kid related paraphernalia. You may want to check that out. Good luck.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Have stayed at the Delta, and it's fine.  Sounds like cost and distance isn't really significantly different between the 3, so just choose whichever one you like best.

vertol46 Platinum

I enjoyed Castle Hotel on I-Drive. Also a cat 5.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Stay away from I-Drive if Disney is the objective. Too far and too much traffic. I was not all that impressed by the Castle Hotel.

Lots of choices in Lake Buena Vista. Pick you price point and amenities. Odds are there's something that will fit.

nmballoonist Platinum

It's been over 15 years since I have stayed in Orlando and stayed off Disney property.  I was near I drive at the time and even then the traffic was bad.  Deciding between the JW and the Delta.  I think I am leaning towards the Delta even though the JW would be much nicer, but this location doesn't seem to have a CL so thats a strike against it. Decisions, Decisions.

hassmh Gold

As a resort, the JW does not have CL either, in case you were not already aware. No free breakfast unless your room rate includes it. One of several reasons I'm not sure if we'll book there.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I have been to Disney Florida twice.  Each time I stayed on Disney property.  This was because we were with American friends, who had been many times before, and they booked for us.  It was a wise move to stay at Disney.  The first time we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with a savannah view balcony.  The second time we stayed at the Boardwalk.  Both were fabulous and entirely different.

Jsucool76 Gold

As the self-proclaimed resident Disney expert, I shall chime in.

Visit the Disney area about once a month. Am currently posting from the delta. The hotel leaves a lot to be desired. They currently offer a free "continental"  breakfast to gold/plat members. It's just cereal, and bread basically. $5 to upgrade to the hot breakfast which is pretty good. This is until the "elite pantry" opens but I'm not sure what that is. The lobby is nice, the rooms are decent. Bathrooms are tiny tiny tiny.

Everything basically still looks old, but with fresh paint.

The staff range from very pleasant to outright rude, and the location is pretty good. Area develops a LOT of traffic.

To me, the most convenient (non-resort) Marriott in the area is probably the Springhill suites @ flamingo crossings.

The best (non-resort) Marriott in the area is probably the castle, or one of the other kessler hotels in the surrounding areas.

The Fairfield Inn and suites Lake buena Vista is also nice (the yellow one, not the Marriott village one)

And the Springhill suites Kissimmee is also a nice property with pretty good amenities due to its proximity to some timeshare resort next door. It's not the cleanest area, but the hotel was always immaculate.

nmballoonist Platinum

Thanks for the information. It's very helpful and may reconsider the Delta in light of your other suggestions.

peymanagement Platinum

Thanks Jsucool76, I had a post asking a similar question. I believe that the property started its life as a days inn. The price is right  

nmballoonist I stayed at the Springhill Kissimmee, it was good and really close, and is attached to a big resort and had full use of those facilities. I have stayed at all of the hotels around Disney and all are fine and not much difference in them, The world centre is great if you are into the higher end, but has its hand into your pocket at all turns,

On staying on site with Disney, I have stayed at several, my favorite was Riverside. It is moderate, but nice, However since you are driving, I would stay off site unless you are just doing Disney.

nmballoonist Platinum

Thanks for the info. If we were going to Disney I certainly would stay on site. However since the purpose of the trip is to get our daughter down there and set up for her Disney College Program internship, I may not even visit a park. My wife and I will plan on doing that once or twice in the fall. So my criteria are location, price, quality of the property, and nearby restaurants/shopping like Walmart, Target, Costco to get things she might need for her apartment (with 5 other program members) that we don't want to haul from home or her apartment in Atlanta.

All all of the comments have been very helpful, which is why came to MRI with the question. Always good advice.

peymanagement Platinum

If your criteria is proximity to those places than I would definitely recommend the Springhill- Kissimmee. It is right beside a mall and walkable to Walmart and very close to the LBV outlet mall. and real close to the Disney site with easy access of Osceola parkway.

ppezzano Platinum

We stayed at the Delta hotel back in April for a few nights.  Overall, great stay.  Some great pluses about it.

Pros:

- Great rate

- Full service (though candidly we didn't take a lot of advantage of the on site restaurant, just the coffee shop)

- TVs with Netflix and other streaming options built in - great for the kid and nice not to have to bust out the laptop

- Decent pool area - though not much more than a pool and chairs

- Very new and comfortable

Cons

- Still VERY new, and it showed with minor flaws and staff confusion

- Paid parking even though it was a suburban style hotel

- Chain hotels nearby, but nothing interesting

I'd go back compared to an older Courtyard property.

I've also stayed at the JW/Ritz complex.  Very nice, great pools, lazy river - however VERY expensive by comparison for on property amenities.  if you are not worried about cost of restaurants and want a better pool/resort feel, hard to argue with the JW complex.  If you don't care about that stuff, not worth the cost and drive.

mrmcgoo Gold 2 Reviews

Hi,

Would not be a Marriott property, but could book you at the Grand Villas which is near the Downtown Disney entrance to Walt Disney World.  

This resort is right next to Fairfield Inn & Suites Lake Buena Vista, Fl.

12191 South Apopka Vineland Road

A one bedroom would be less than 75 per night on a weekly basis.

A two bedroom would be less that 110 per night on a weekly basis.

Has full kitchen, resort amenities.

If interested, contact me at Stevetimeshare@yahoo.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...