15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2016 2:28 PM by doddsy69 RSS

7 hrs to kill between flights in Newark airport any ideas ?

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

my connecting flight next week has been moved and I now have 7 hrs between flights in Newark I've been through the airport 100 s of times but never strayed outside in the immediate area is there anything close by worth seeing bearing in mind I only probably have 5 hrs due to security and stuff ?  a trip into Nyc is probably to far ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 7 hrs to kill between flights in Newark airport any ideas ?
    seatexan Platinum

It took me about 20 min from EWR to My NY Hotel (in a CRAZY scary CAB, that was slow...yeah still crazy driver) on the other side of NY (Marriott East Side)... that was at 2:00am so it might take about 30 min to get to the closet edge of NY in the day.  You could spend about 2 hours in NY City I am sure.  But I would really worry about security unless you have TSA pre check.  If you have that, then I bet 2 hours in NY would be ok. 

7 hours is a LONG time.  I think most I did was 5 and the United Club Lounge came in really handy!  It's not so bad at the airport if you eat and get a club pass. 

Maybe someone else can speak on the near by area.  Ferry street Newark, NJ. looks pretty happening via google.  It kind of reminds me of Magazine Street in New Orleans (awesome place to walk around).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I live not too far from EWR so my opinion is unfortunately, no. You couldddd go into Manhattan but with North Jersey/NYC traffic, you never know how long it will take to get back to the airport. Plus, you would probably be worried about missing your flight the whole time. Now, if that doesn't bother you, one idea if you haven't visited already, is the 9/11 memorial and museum. You can schedule your visit and get tickets ahead of time. Budget yourself say an hour to get out of the airport and to lower Manhattan, two hours for the museum and a few minutes at the reflection ponds, and then time to get back to the airport. It could be done, you just have to be comfortable with it. Just a thought....

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

If you do decide to go to NYC, use NJ transit, they have a train that takes your from EWR to Penn Station in NYC. Or, you could also use the NJ Transit train to get to Newark Penn Station and then take the PATH train to the World Trade Center for the 9/11 memorial. The trains run regularly, and car traffic won't be an issue. I don't recommend downtown Newark, its not a super shopping area. if you want to do some shopping, take a cab to jersey garden outlet mall. Its about a $15 cab ride, its just south or Newark airport, and you can hit up Off Fifth (Saks) neiman Last call and lots of other stores and just arrange with the taxi to pick you up at "X" time and its a 15 min cab ride back to the terminal. All depends on how far you want to go and how much time you want to spend away from EWR

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Perhaps buy a day-pass for the airline club (assuming the airline you are flying has a club there) so that you can relax a little and have some snacks and drinks without all the "annoyance" you can experience in the terminal....

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

There is a shopping mall about 5 minutes from Newark called The Mills at Jersey Gardens.  Looks like they offer a regular shuttle between the Air Train Station and the mall every 30 minutes for $9 round trip.  The website shows lots of stores, restaurants and a movie theater there.  That might be a good way to kill some time.

http://www.simon.com/mall/the-mills-at-jersey-gardens/travel-here

Would it be cheeky to head over to the airport Marriott which I've stayed at a few times and sunbathe by the pool weather permitting and have a bite to eat ?

ozmodiar Gold

The Thomas Edison National Historic Park is probably only a 20 minute drive from the airport and Liberty State Park (for trips to the Statue of Liberty or see the Liberty Science Center) is about the same distance (different direction though). I'd assume you could arrange for a taxi to take you to either location and come back to pick you up in a few hours.

If you want to visit NYC you would have less hassle if you go by train in my opinion. Getting from the terminals to NJ Transit is simple as the rail station is one end of the AirTrain (monorail) line. Just keep in mind that not all NJ Transit trains stop at the airport (the display usually has an airplane symbol when it does) so figure out the schedule ahead of time.

iaskquestions Member

Airline lounge? Lol

homoviator Platinum

I just had something similar happen and also last year. I learned my lesson.  In the past, I might just sit it out in the Lounge, but that's a long time, although I can get a lot of work done.  After reading around here though, I've become a fan of getting a room in a nearby hotel and chilling there. I've done with at the Courtyard in San Diego and it was one of my most productive days sitting by the pool doing work, being able to shower and just walk along their path.  This especially makes sense if there is more than 1 or 2 of you and especially if you have kids and don't get into lounges for free.  I can get in for 29, but for 3 or 4 people, I can get a room at a Marriott for a bit more but feel more relaxed and unfrenzied.

However, with that said, remember, you'll have to go back through security.  If you are pre-check, it's a breeze usually. if not, just give yourself time. 

Ended up an hr early so jumped on the train into Nyc met up with some good friends had a few beers a bite to eat then bought a new guitar at Sam ash then back to the airport would have been a lot cheaper staying in the lounge lol

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...